Pain in joint at top of shoulder from overhead press - help

Options
My husband wanted me to post this question:

He is new to heavy lifting and just finished 12 weeks of Strong Lifts and took a week off to recover. He is feeling fine now, except for a constant ache at the top of his shoulder from doing the overhead press. By the end of the program he was lifting 5 x 5 at 140 lbs.

Is this pain normal? Or could it be a result of bad form? Is it best to rest up till it is completely gone or can he go back into lifting? He is worried it will take months to heal. He really wants to get back into lifting. It is not a sharp pain - more of a constant ache, especially when he raises his arms above his head.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I have the same injury, I think, from doing chest presses. Someone told me to try not using a wide grip on the bar. Would like some feedback to this question as well.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Not normal. It could be an AC joint problem or something else - only a doctor can diagnose it. In the mean time, try lifting the bar only until elbows are at shoulder level. The deltoids don't work any harder above that point anyway.
    Does he slouch?

For shoulder pain on the chest press, lower elbows only to bench level, not below. See a doctor if it doesn't improve.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of possible causes of the pain. Most shoulder issues are the result of poor scapula stability, and/or poor glenohumeral mobility, though....either way, it's not normal and he should not push through the pain.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the help. Would you suggest he see a fitness trainer to check form first or should he see a doctor?
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the help. Would you suggest he see a fitness trainer to check form first or should he see a doctor?

Most trainers are not qualified to do anything more than turn a treadmill on. You might have some luck with an independent trainer, but to actually diagnosis anything you will need to see the doc.

Wouldn't hurt to just take a week or two off and see if that helps.

If you can post or PM me a video of him doing the exercise, I might be able to help.