Any teenagers on here struggling with eating habits?

Options
Hey guys! I'm not necessarily overweight, and I don't really need to lose much (even though I'd love to) but I really need to start watching my intake. Anyone else having issues with that? I have a history of fasting, binging, and in between. I really just want to learn how to not make food the center of my life. Anyone who wants to help me or just be friends, please add me!

Replies

• tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm in the same place. I'm not overweight but also not very "skinny," which is what I'd love to be, but maybe not really feasible. I'm at college now, too, and have actually lost weight since I'm (1) not really into a lot of the foods available on campus, and (2) no longer eating with my family, who are all themselves a bit overweight and have been for some time, and who I sometimes tend to either eat very little with (out of being overwhelmed by their own habits) or trying "keep up with" them. I'm adding you! :)
  • Demon676
    Demon676 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is the issue with logging what you eat or how to log it? Food does not have to be a massive focus. Once you start to know roughly what things are, you can estimate how much you can eat in a day, while logging can take less than a minute after initial setting up of the meals etc. I'd be happy to help if i can.
  • mermaidstatus
    Options
    No, I just started logging three days ago!
  • Demon676
    Demon676 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, got slightly confused with your post. Do you mean your worried about becoming obsessed with counting calories or am I missing the point completely :S
  • suzieannfat
    suzieannfat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do, I always eat the fattening stuff, and too much of it. I've gotten a lot better though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna bet that 90% of teenagers have incorrect eating habits.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've said it before and i'll say it again, getting involved ina sport played a big part in helping me avoid many of the traps that most of my female friends went through during their teens.

if you can find something intramural or for fun then it might be a good way to start to learn the value of eating to keep your body fed and properly functioning for what you need it to do.

good luck!
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    I'm not 'overweight' but I certainly ain't skinny!
    I used to starve myself, hoping to become a skinny pretty girl I see in the magazines. (Which is all fake and photoshopped)

It's easy to stay under your calorie limit, but the Sodium limit is the hard part for me. Also the sugar intake.
    This site is great for getting healthy! One extra tip, DON'T BUY CHOCOLATE. If you do, give it to neighbors, friends, or co-workers. And feel free to add me. :)
  • cpayagen
    Options
    I'm there with you! The difference is that I used to be borderline diabetic and borderline from having a stroke and high cholesterol. I lost 25lbs and dropped to 200, but then I stopped caring about my diet and went up to 210. I also have a history of fasting and binging. Well, I fast, but a healthy kind. It's called "intermittent fasting". Won't get into too much detail, but you essentially get all of your calories in an 8 hour eating window then don't eat for 16 hours. But anyways, I'm a student so here are my tips.

1) Have a cheat MEAL (not day) once a week, and that meal should be your only meal for that day. In that cheat meal, eat as much as you can until you're so full that you wouldn't mind throwing up, but aren't going to throw up. It keeps you from not going insane. My cheat meal usually consists of a whole pizza and a protein shake. Yesterday, my cheat meal were 6 deviled egg halves, 10 pieces of sushi, and 10 frosted sprinkled cookies.

2) This is pretty obvious, but vegetables are your best friend. Find your favorite vegetable and eat a lot of it! Veggies are low in calories and filling. My favorite vegetables are sauteed bell peppers with a bit of soy sauce.

3) Drink 1 bottle (16 oz) of water before every meal, and 1 cup during your meal. The 16oz fills your stomach with water and makes you feel fuller faster.

4) If you need sauce, it's better to put bad sauce on healthy food rather than healthy sauce with bad food. It's easy to limit your sauce, it's hard to limit your food intake. It's better to get in the habit of healthy food rather than a habit of "healthy" sauce. Ex. It's better to eat grilled buffalo chicken with regular ranch rather than fried buffalo chicken with light ranch.

5) If you have cravings, go upstairs and lay in your bed. It's easy for me to eat healthier during the school year because I'm at school with textbooks rather than a home with a refrigerator and parents who don't understand nutrition.
  • mermaidstatus
    Options

5) If you have cravings, go upstairs and lay in your bed. It's easy for me to eat healthier during the school year because I'm at school with textbooks rather than a home with a refrigerator and parents who don't understand nutrition.

I relate to this! My dad is so bad, he actually PUSHES food on me, and luckily I'm stubborn so I keep saying no. It's not good food, just unnecessary. His girlfriend even gets a little hostile about it sometimes :(
  • floidiotflo
    Options
    Hello! I'm in a similar situation. I sometimes can't eat 'like a normal person' D: I can't control myself from binging and fasting. I'd like to add you :)