Best yoga video for beginners?

Options
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for an at-home yoga DVD for someone brand new. I'm currently doing the 30 Day Shred, but I want to incorporate something else into my routine and have been meaning to give yoga a try for awhile. I'm a little afraid of it, to be honest. Any recommendations for something really, really beginner-friendly?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Would like to know too! :smile:
  • karenmetfan
    karenmetfan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know.
  • FarEastTexan
    Options
    I've been doing The Biggest Loser Yoga Workout with Bob. It's a mix of yoga and pilates and there are modifications for every fitness level. I really enjoy it; my thighs are firmer and my bootie is starting to perk up a bit :smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    First off, I would suggest you go to some classes first. Plenty of studios offer a free first class. Some have beginner's series. You won't be the only awkward one.

That said, if you search on amazon or at your local library, you will find yoga for beginners dvds. Rodney Yee has one, as does Patricia Walden. The Yoga for Weight Loss with Suzanne Deason is also pretty good.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started with the Bob Harper Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga DVD. I loved it, and now I am doing Bob Harper's Warrior Yoga. I recommend you start with the Biggest Loser the and then move on to the a Warrior one.
  • TheSaoirseTree
    TheSaoirseTree Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The first yoga I ever did, now 10+ years ago, was Yoga Conditioning for Weightloss with Suzanne Deason from Gaiam. It's a little slow moving, but it's great for beginners.

It gives you 3 different levels of modifications to follow along with until you can do full poses. There is a short breathing sequence at the beginning and a good amount of information throughout the workout.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest hitting an in person yoga class first, too, if you have no experience. Form is especially important for gaining the benefits, as well as avoiding injury. In a good beginner class, the instructor will give you personal attention and adjustmentsto teach you how to get it right. Once you understand those basics, then home practice can be very beneficial.
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried yoga was over 6 years ago.It simply is not my cup of tea. However, the program that I watched used to come on the Oxygen channel. I found them on YouTube. If I feel like taking it easy and ATTEMPTING to clear my mind use it. The link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-nrJmCNq4&list=PL-heh0KW268OaE2afDBz0nHVuSHhSj187
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Daily Yoga. There are a bunch of free 10, 15 and 20 minute workouts on it plus a 2 week beginner program. It's free for a whole bunch of workouts but some of the more desirable advanced ones, like Yoga for Butt and Yoga for Weight Loss only come with a paid subscription. Also there is a Yoga Zone program on Hulu that's decent for beginners.
  • mindtoreality
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, all!
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There's an app called Yoga Studio (not sure if it's available for Android) and it's awesome! I believe it's $2.99 but it's totally worth it. They have classes for beginners, intermediate, and advanced, and then different focuses such as strength, balance, and so on. Lots of options and you can even make your own routines once you get used to it. I find I don't even need to look at it, so I just put headphones on and put it in my pocket and listen to the instructions because the verbal cues are great. It's very beginner friendly.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'll also throw out Pocket Yoga for iOS.
  • Marleen55
    Options
    Travis Eliot has several good yoga videos, although most are intermediate or advanced. You might try "Yoga Foundations With Travis Eliot" for a beginning. Also I like Eoin Finn's "Pure and Simple" and Blissology videos.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like www.doyogawithme.com/yoga-beginners
    No purchase necessary, with plenty of choices.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start trying yoga with the new year
  • vmpastorandy
    Options
    Yoga Zone is where I started as a beginner (what am I saying, I'm still a beginner!). They have a number of DVD choices, and you can also find them on YouTube. All of their "beginner" videos show the exercises performed 2 ways: the full pose and a modified (easier) pose. Most of these videos have two 20-minute workouts, others are closer to one hour.
  • StarflowerST
    StarflowerST Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love myyogaonline.com

It's inexpensive, and they are really excellent at letting you know how to be in proper form. They have Beginner to Advanced. They have many how-to videos. Their videos run from 15 minutes to 90 minutes. I highly recommend it. You can do it for free for 2 weeks.

I do agree with the suggestion of going to yoga classes so that you have the hand on approach. If you get a good yoga instructor they will show you what to do.

And Suzanne Deason is a wonderful instructor, too!!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    yes, I love the Chris Freytag 10 lb challenge series. She does a vinyasa yoga for weightloss and its easy enough but harder than it looks. You can find it on youtube. I actually have it saved on my favorite workouts playlist on my youtube page. (same name as on here) When I first started, I coudnt get through the whole thing without pausing but now I can and feel so accomplished.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee Yoga for Beginners. Or any Rodney Yee videos. I love A.M. Yoga.