Where do I start?! My trainer left me unprepared!

Options
I wasn't sure if this went here or in the "getting started" area of the forums, but here goes.

At the beginning of the year I made major changes to my diet, and decided once I built those habits up I'd start working out (one thing at a time ...). My university offers us a (pretty awesome) gym free of cost, but we can pay for personal training at a rate much lower than the average gym. I'd heard good things from other students, so I hired a trainer for a series of sessions to kind of kick-start my fitness commitment. I told her that was what it was, and that I wanted her to also teach me how to navigate the gym myself, use the machines, all of that so that when our sessions were over I could continue on my own and build habits, get some confidence, and then set up another set of sessions next semester after I'd made some independent progress to re-evaluate.

So she proceeded to not teach me how to do anything at the gym in terms of machine use, weight training to supplement cardio (which I can get from any fitness class or even just on a treadmill, which is kind of what I've been doing), or ... anything. Needless to say, for a girl who had to save for four months to have the money even at the reduced rate (hey, I'm in college), I'm not thinking I got my money's worth.

Here is my problem: I have no idea where to even begin. I don't know what to walk into the gym and do. I have no plan, all the stuff I Google (probably using the wrong keywords) is for people who are trying to bulk, not for people like me who want to get smaller. I don't have the money to invest in stuff to use in my dorm (and wouldn't have room for it anyway considering I share a little cracker box with three other girls) or to join an outside gym, and I certainly can't afford an outside trainer. What can I do?! What should I be doing?! Can anyone help me figure out what to start with or describe what I should be doing or using in the gym?

Speak slowly and use small words, I'm a beginner.

And thank you in advance for your help.

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Can you ask your trainer to write you out a fitness plan?
  • gekiyellow
    Options
    I would have to pay for another set of sessions to get her services to do anything, including that, which isn't financially feasible.

I was stupid (which is par for the course with me trying anything new) and this is not the best situation, I am sorry.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I would have to pay for another set of sessions to get her services to do anything, including that, which isn't financially feasible.

I was stupid (which is par for the course with me trying anything new) and this is not the best situation, I am sorry.

Buy Starting Strength. Learn the lifts detailed in the book. Follow the programme laid out in the book. Do your cardio on the non-lifting days.

Problem solved!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good programs to follow! New rules of lifting for women is a popular book/program, also Jamie Eason's live fit program is great to get you into strength training/cardio workout. Bodybuilding.com has videos that show you proper form too which is very helpful when starting out. I highly suggest to do strength training. You will not get bulky on a calorie deficit.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

Buy Starting Strength. Learn the lifts detailed in the book. Follow the programme laid out in the book. Do your cardio on the non-lifting days.

Problem solved!
    This, exactly. It's very detailed on form and the program is simple and unintimidating.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Problem solved!

^^^ I agree
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Can't really blame your trainer... after all they are there to get money. Your trainer however proved him/her self that she is not worth the investment and is not driven by a passion but more than anything else by $$!

Read - befriend (at the gym and online) and use social medias (FB - Instagram have a wealth of knowledge and resources if used properly).

Don't segregate your choices based on your goals (everybody wants to bulk i want to get small...) but learn from everything and everyone. As it seems like at the moment you need to acquire knowledge and any sources will be good to use!

I personally use bodybuilding.com, simplyshredded.com and iifym.com.
    The front page of bb has very big people on it but the wealth and information you get out of it goes beyond it!
    simplyshredded and iifym is mainly for nutritional info.

Talk to people at the gym - join (free) classes - find yourself a fitness budy or date a bro (bro = person that lifts heavy objects against the force of gravity ;)).
    If you don't talk to people at the gym no one probably will do the effort to come and talk to you. Don't be shy... everybody started one day from exactly where you were now!

Drop a mail if you want - good luck!
  • binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding a program at Bodybuilding.com (try Jamie Eason's as someone suggested) if you don't mind lifting weights. I use to think that site is just for bulking up, but they actually have programs for cutting (losing fat). You wont gain any muscle as long as you eat at a deficit. The only way you will ever gain muscle is if you eat more than your maintenance.

Lifting weights will help you get a toned body. Doing cardio alone didn't work for me, and it turns out you don't even need to do them if you don't want to.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Problem solved!
    ^^^This!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

So she proceeded to not teach me how to do anything at the gym in terms of machine use, weight training to supplement cardio (which I can get from any fitness class or even just on a treadmill, which is kind of what I've been doing), or ... anything. Needless to say, for a girl who had to save for four months to have the money even at the reduced rate (hey, I'm in college), I'm not thinking I got my money's worth.

Just me, but if I paid for a service -- to get instruction I didn't get -- I would talk to the gym about it, put the problem in writing (typed, keep it to one page or less, just the facts), and ask for a refund (edited from partial refund to full -- if they advertised the services of a trainer who didn't train or instruct then you have every right to ask for your money back, plus the gym needs to be alerted to the problem to stop this from happening to other people).
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would complain to the gym management (not the receptionist or another trainer) and get my full refund. You deserve better than this.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I would complain to the gym management (not the receptionist or another trainer) and get my full refund. You deserve better than this.

Don't necessarily agree - you pay a trainer to train you and / or to write you up a training plan not to share his knowledge.
    Trainers take their time to learn, fund studies and pass accreditations.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    were you clear about what you wanted her to show you? i have a hard time believing that is you said, "i want you to show me how to use the weight machines" that a training wouldnt do it. however if you left it all vague an said something like "just show me around" or "i just want to lose weight" then yeah i could see them not going into weights

i also agree with buying starting strength, but if you dont have free weights, squat rack and olympic standard barbells at your gym having that book isnt going to make much of a difference. it's not like you can do starting strength on cybex machines
  • jimmmer
    Options
    were you clear about what you wanted her to show you? i have a hard time believing that is you said, "i want you to show me how to use the weight machines" that a training wouldnt do it. however if you left it all vague an said something like "just show me around" or "i just want to lose weight" then yeah i could see them not going into weights

i also agree with buying starting strength, but if you dont have free weights, squat rack and olympic standard barbells at your gym having that book isnt going to make much of a difference. it's not like you can do starting strength on cybex machines

"pretty awesome university gym" should have free weights, barbell, rack/stands

If not, then perhaps detailing the awesome equipment the gym has, something else could be proffered? I can recommend a few kettlebell based routines if these are available at the gym. I also know of a few people who have done a beginners barbell routine (All Pro) and modified it for dumbbells and had some good success. There are always options.

Perhaps more/better info could lead to more/better recommendations?

I still think everyone should read Starting Strength. Even if you don't do a barbell based routine, you'll learn a lot about strength training.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Don't necessarily agree - you pay a trainer to train you and / or to write you up a training plan not to share his knowledge.
    Trainers take their time to learn, fund studies and pass accreditations.

What are you talking about? I have my qualifications to train, and you are so beyond the truth it's mind blowing. "You pay a trainer to train you not to share his knowledge"?! What planet are you living on my friend? Training someone and sharing your knowledge are joined at the core. You cannot have one without the other. A trainer would never tell his client to do 5x5 squats without explaining why.

And trainers take their time to learn, fund studies and pass accreditations? No. You need to learn and pass your tests in order to become a trainer. Secondly, most trainers cannot and will not "fund studies". 99% of personal trainers are not scientists. How is a local trainer going to "fund" a study?! Explain that to me please.

OP; you need to write a letter of complaint about what happened to your gym manager and for God's sake get something done if your trainer didn't teach you anything. And yes, go buy a used copy of Starting Strength.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I have no plan, all the stuff I Google (probably using the wrong keywords) is for people who are trying to bulk, not for people like me who want to get smaller.

Speak slowly and use small words, I'm a beginner.

Just a FYI, training provides a stimulus. What you eat determines whether you grow or shrink.

We could both do a lifting routine. I eat at a deficit - I'll lose body fat. You eat at a surplus, you'll put on muscle and fat.

If you want to lose fat (not weight, mind you: fat) then you'll do well on a strength training routine and sticking to a modest calorie deficit with adequate protein intake. It's really that simple.

The industry tries to make it look more complicated because there's money to be made, but essentially:

progressive resistance training + modest calorie deficit + adequate protein + time = success.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My gym offered free orientation to their machines -- a trainer walked me through every machine, wrote down the settings, my starting weight levels on each and made a chart for me to reference next time. Ask if they offer this service. Also, see if you can barter training services with someone else at the school. You could share a skill or service in exchange for going to the gym with you a few times and helping you through the book or workout you chose.

I've done cardio my whole life but when I started lifting, my body really shaped up. I have beautiful biceps! I'm strong enough to hold a plank for 2 min and I can do military style push-ups. At 50 years old!
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    you paid for it, complain. Ask for your money back or free sessions with a better trainer.

if you bought something in a shop and it wasn't working, you would return it.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is that you need to read as many basic level fitness guides as you can...
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like gym machines and weights and am of opinion that you can do a lot of effective bodyweight exercises without them and that such exercises are more than sufficient for 90% of people who just want to have healthy bodies and good stamina.
    Maybe you should look if you have some fitness group in the area which does Insanity and similar programs.

If you go via route of the usual gym training with the weights, kettlebells and gym machines, keep in mind one important thing - you being a girl means that you don't have to worry about gaining too many muscles and looking manly. In order for that to happen you would need to have extreme training and food regime.

Don't use gym machines and don't lift heavy weights unles you have been shown proper technique, otherwise you are risking injuries. And bear in mind that many gym trainers don't even know proper technique (or simply don't care about it).
    I would not dare to train with weights and gym machines based just on reading and watching youtube. You need someone watching you and correcting your mistakes. And not just doing it once in the first session, trainer needs to check with you regulary. Unfortunately it seems that your gym trainer sucks :(

Does your university have some kind of online student forum? If yes then post a topic there asking for help. Perhaps there are some fitness gurus at your uni who would be willing to help you for free, and it could be that they know more than so called "trainer" at your gym.

Don't put yourself in extreme calorie deficit and eat your exercise calories back. Short term it will mean slower weight loss, but long term it will pay of.

And don't overdo cardio training, like running for hour or things like that.