Back to square 1 :'(

Options
Hi everyone!

This is my first time visiting this forum. I just wanna ask and know if any of you are experiencing what I am.

I am petite and the ideal weight for my height is 46kg. I started exercising and eating healthily a year ago and I reached my ideal goal of 46kg!

But as time passes by, I realized that i am slowly letting go. i still do exercise and all but in terms of food choices...it's just so hard!
I gained back that 5kg I lost and now, I am a little chubby for my height.

It's really hard to maintain without the support of my family. My dad is a junk eater so he will buy a lot of junk and snacks. And me having poor self control and seeing the kitchen shelves filled with junkies....i tend to just reach out for a bag of potato chips or chocolate chip cookies.

Also, my mom isnt so happy that I stopped eat her food when I started healthy eating. My mum cooks fried food, full of gravy and oily, salty food. she keeps plying me with food. And after one year of saying no, its really hard to say no now. I feel my self-control slipping. I know....this is bad. I should exercise self control. But i find it really hard to when such temptations (my dads junk food and my mum insistence on eating her cooking) keeps poking at me to give in every day.

And from what I told you (me regaining 5kg)....i faltered :(

Now I am desperately trying to get back on track. But i still can't help but eat my mum's cooking. So far, no progress :(

Anyone feeling the same way? :(

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    I feel for you because I know how hard it is to lose and to maintain weight even when you are in control of the kitchen. Are there other things you can do for yourself when the temptations call like going for a walk, reading your favorite book, sometimes brushing your teeth can make you stop and pause before reaching for the treat. Dinnertime seems even more problematic for you. Hopefully you can serve yourself and exert portion control. If not whatever mom serves just try to eat half of what is served if the portions are big. It is your body not theirs and you have a right to take care of it. Just writing to MFP shows you want to do right by your eating habits. You cannot control what your parents do only yourself. Good luck.
  • fitsoberhappy
    Options
    I know it feels like you're back to square one but I assure you that you aren't. Setbacks are put in our path to push us into proving ourselves. Don't take this bump in the road as a failure, take it as an opportunity to show how much you want this. Don't worry or blame yourself!
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    so easy ro slip , .its a choice only you can make it .wish i had some good advice but i dont .look on here at some befor and afters foemotavation you can do this ...you did it once you can do it again .:flowerforyou: good luck
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It is so hard when you have enablers around (your mom and dad) I feel very fortunate to live alone as bad as that sounds being in complete control over what foods I keep in my kitchen. My advice? Sit down with your parents and explain to them that while you'd love to eat the foods they cook/keep in the house, it is really hurting you mentally/physically because you're gaining weight. Your mom just probably really loves cooking meals for you/is offended that you don't want to eat them because of this reason. Help her understand that it has nothing to do with her and that you want to change your lifestyle FOR YOU. As for the snacking, I'd buy my own snacks/keep them in a place other than where those other snacks are so that you're never in contact with them. For example, store healthier options in a place you won't see those unhealthy snacks.
  • heystephie
    heystephie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey, yeah I feel the same way. My parents are not exactly the healthiest eaters too. They literally want to stuff me with food ALL THE TIME and they keep encouraging me to eat supper :/ What I used to do (last year when I was really being a fitness junkie) was to refuse the food that they cook. I tell them beforehand (nicely) that if they're going to cook oily stuff or relatively less healthy meals then they can just cook it for themselves. I on the other hand will prepare my own meals E.g: Salads with chicken breasts etc. My mum also noticed that I was okay with food like Salmon and broccoli so she cooked that more often for me. I also did a lot of shopping by myself - stocked up the whole fridge with fruits, nuts, greek yogurt, corn.... and completely cutting myself off from sweet drinks and snacks.

Now I'm not as strict on my diet and I have honestly been slacking off ever since I kind of reached my goal weight. The last time I exercised was two weeks ago and I'm getting really chubby again! :( So I totally understand how you feel now.

Anyway, I am going to get back into exercising regularly. I have started to refuse the food that my parents cook (if its unhealthy). I always feel really bad for refusing them but yeah, if I didn't do that I think I'd be obese right now. You need to tell them that you want to take care of your health and should encourage them to do the same! If your mum is okay with cooking healthier food, even if it's not for herself, but for you, maybe you could ask her? That way, she won't be unhappy that you're not eating her cooking and she will still be cooking food that she likes for herself and the rest of the family.

Anyway, I'm starting afresh tomorrow! Going to be doing Insanity daily and really monitoring what I eat and when.

Don't worry about your 5kg gain. It's never too late to start eating and being healthy again :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A lot - 65% - of people regain their weight. It's really hard.

You might try avoiding your dad's junk food by not eating it. But if you can't do that, count it out. I put out a bowl and count out my nachos or chips into it, sit there, and happily eat it. Or make popcorn and eat that - not too many calories. Enjoy the tv with him. And drink bubbly water with it - it has no calories.

Portion size and good choices may help with your mom's cooking. Eat lots of veggies, some plain meat with minimal gravy, and skip the butter. It's proportion. Eat everything but lots of the low cal stuff and only some of the calorie dense.

If you eat carefully at breakfast and lunch - which are probably more in your control - you'll have more slack for dinner and snacks.

Good luck!
  • Bnana14
    Options
    I cant express how thankful I am for all of your comments! Thank you for the support and advice <3<3

Now, I am even more determined to get back on track. You guys are the best!

THANK U!!! :')
  • cc918
    cc918 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know it feels like you're back to square one but I assure you that you aren't. Setbacks are put in our path to push us into proving ourselves. Don't take this bump in the road as a failure, take it as an opportunity to show how much you want this. Don't worry or blame yourself!

I absolutely love this!