Anyone else keep Kosher?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to MyFitnessPal (thanks to a coworker) and I'm so excited to get started! I've got a ways to go but I'm really determined. My question is, anyone else out there who keeps Kosher? Would love to connect with people who deal with that blessing/challenge too, especially if you struggle with overeating at weekly Shabbat meals!
Looking forward to connecting!

Replies

• NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Bumping, just to try once more... any Kosher peeps out there?
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Hooo yeh! And who is excited for Passover food!!!!???
  • acbabbitt
    acbabbitt Posts: 50
    I don't keep kosher - at least not the way my grandmother meant it!

I do my best. But I live in Utah ;)
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Hey, yes, I am strictly kosher, fully observant etc, and ye Shabbat meals are an actual killer.... add me if you like, Im happy to "hold your hand"..

xx
  • Elliemisaurus
    Elliemisaurus Posts: 56 Member
    I try my hardest... though I'm not always successful. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    We have a lot here but it's a busy time of year for roll call.
  • saweetcongirl
    saweetcongirl Posts: 6 Member
    I feel like we should have a different formula since we keep kosher- like less calories or more healthy calories during the week since we know that we will indulge during Shabbat!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Im jewish but I don't really follow Judaism
  • Mom3b3g
    Mom3b3g Posts: 10
    I just joined, and I *toally* get you! I suppose I have only myself to blame, cuz I'm the one who does the cooking, but what am I supposed to do, stop baking challah? And who wants broccoli for a side when there's kugel and farfel available? Then there's the cake.... At least I don't like chulent!
  • Keep it haram pls.
  • NewSavta
    NewSavta Posts: 19 Member
    Is this active? I keep kosher. Holidays & Shabbat are a real challenge. Anyone have any good tips how to avoid noshing on Shabbat afternoon?
  • avrahamdovid
    avrahamdovid Posts: 7 Member
    Hello,

I just joined the site. I lost about 30lbs on my own before, but needed some more encouragement and assistance to get down to my target weight.

I keep strict;y kosher. I've been very lenient on shabbos, and I think its slowed down my weight loss. I also just got back to work after 8 months of parental leave, and not having my wife and kids around hurts my motivation.

Tips for surviving shabbos, and yom tov would be great!
  • bearsheva
    bearsheva Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! Yes, I keep kosher, too. But I live in treyf central, so I don't eat out much (exception: sushi), and that helps a lot. There are no short cuts. If I want to eat, I need to cook my own food, at least during the week.

Shabbat meals for me are easy as the friends we "do" Shabbat with are gluten-free, so this cuts down on a lot of the usual temptations. My downfall is the fresh challah - our challah baker, a family friend, has baked challah weekly for 20+ years, and it's divine. I managed to have only two slices this week and I was proud. But I had them with heaped-on guacamole.

Shabbat afternoons are a challenge for me, too. Let's do this!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Kosher here as well (I guess it's pretty obvious from my Forum Ticker:) ).

Feel free to send a friend request so you can check out my Diary. I definitely eat more on Shabbos but I still make sure it's within reason. Although, I have to admit that my Motzoei Shabbos exercise is usually much harder than the whole week.

I actually have a harder time with Sunday since I don't have a structure to my day.
  • shoshkabob
    shoshkabob Posts: 14 Member
    Woohoo! Kosher MFP-er here too! I used to be pretty good on Shabbos because my mom keeps it pretty minimal (chicken or meat, one rice dish, one vegetable dish for dinner, and peanut butter sandwiches for lunch :P ). But since I moved to New York and started going to all these crazy potluck meals and with the way my mother-in-law cooks... my goodness. I find I feel better when I only sample a little of everything and then move away from the table and/or start clearing the food off so I don't keep reaching for the stuff that's right in front of my face.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Take a shabbos nap, or a walk. I often munch on something low in calories like a green salad.
  • andympanda
    Another idea is i have gotten pretty good and guesstamating Friday night dinner, so I have a light breakfast, and light lunch and snake during the day. (it is a pain this time of year because of the late summer nights but taking in shabbos early helps) also, it might being anti social, but until people get some self control ( I hope i am not insulting, but it is a learned trate, and the lack of it, including for me got us in to this problem) sty away from large fancy kidushes. Portion control is key. Gifelta Fish is not that high in calories, if only 1 or 2 pieces are eaten. On shavuos I forced myself to stay away from Cheese cake and ice cream. I had a reasonable portian of Lasgana for the dairy.
  • andympanda
    I hope it doesn't seem like I am posting just to hear myself speak, but anoohter trick, is to cut back maybe 50 calories a day for the other days to use for Shabbos.
  • Chayacandoit
    Chayacandoit Posts: 67 Member
    I like that idea and will try. :)
  • Alexandratuch
    Alexandratuch Posts: 1 Member
    Just found this feed. I will let myself try the one or two treats that I would like to try, take a bite of each, and throw the rest out. I feel that "wasting food" is as much about our bodies as the garbage can. I try to have sugar-free candies and gum around. Mint seems to take down cravings a notch. I make sure to make veggie-focused meals with a protein I make just for myself (like pesto chicken). I just won't touch anything at a kiddush besides calorie-free soda if I'm going to have a full meal right after. Hope this helps at all. Good luck to us all!