Where do I start?! My trainer left me unprepared!

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I would not dare to train with weights and gym machines based just on reading and watching youtube. You need someone watching you and correcting your mistakes. And not just doing it once in the first session, trainer needs to check with you regulary. Unfortunately it seems that your gym trainer sucks :(

Does your university have some kind of online student forum? If yes then post a topic there asking for help. Perhaps there are some fitness gurus at your uni who would be willing to help you for free, and it could be that they know more than so called "trainer" at your gym.

Depends on the Book or Youtube source, doesn't it? Rippetoe or EliteFTS? Yes? Random blog or youtuber? No.

If most people waited for a trainer to show them how to lift weights, almost no one in the history of Iron would have picked up a weight.

I would not have laughed at your "Oh noes, everybody panic!!!!!!!" post, until you suggested picking a random person from a local university forum to show her good form! Because they would be better than Rippetoe? Or Wenning? Or Tate? Right, that's what I thought....
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm not a seasoned lifter or anything but have been doing p90x at home for a few months, he always says " you want guns lift heavy with less reps , you want lean or slim lift lighter , with more reps" a "rep" is how many times you lift the weight in general ....for example a basic curl lift ...most men will opt for a heavy weight 30 pounds or something 8 times , but I started with lifting 8 pounds for about 12-15 times ...the goal is to feel the burn , the last three reps should be a struggle but still have good form. FORM is key in weight training ...so research that ! That is something she SHOULD HAVE STARTED you with ! But she sucks ....mix your gym up , weight traing and cardio ....and I agree with posters here find friends within the gym to help you I'm sure someone would help ....good luck hope I was of SOME help ;)
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Depends on the Book or Youtube source, doesn't it? Rippetoe or EliteFTS? Yes? Random blog or youtuber? No.

If most people waited for a trainer to show them how to lift weights, almost no one in the history of Iron would have picked up a weight.

I would not have laughed at your "Oh noes, everybody panic!!!!!!!" post, until you suggested picking a random person from a local university forum to show her good form! Because they would be better than Rippetoe? Or Wenning? Or Tate? Right, that's what I thought....

Yeah right... asking random person at the university is worse than asking random people online :)))

Of course, that uni person must be a regular in the gym, and have visible results on their bodies. Many university athletes probably know more about training and food regimes than so called trainer who just wasted her money and taught her nothing.

People training for few weeks and months with weights using wrong technique can make serious injury to themselves and also waste their time and effort in futile exercises.
    As I said, I would not dare to do such training without being shown proper form, and being observed during exercises. Of course by the trainer who has proven results behind him and a lot of satisfied clients. I would gladly pay him for such service too.
    If you are willing to take such risks then go for it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    People training for few weeks and months with weights using wrong technique can make serious injury to themselves and also waste their time and effort in futile exercises.

Agreed. That's why I recommended the book that will show her the right exercises, with the right technique, done according to a good schedule.

However, exercise can carry risks. All exercise. Just like life.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Some trainers deliberately do that, so that you end up continuously needing them.

All these people talking about complaining to the gym management, how do you think that will help?
    Do you think the trainers are paid employees or something?
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options

All these people talking about complaining to the gym management, how do you think that will help?

A lot of them are, it's basic customer service. that's what they are there for, to make customers keep coming back and keep paying their membership...
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I recommend buying the book " New rules of lifting for Women" the author has a series of four books, but buy this one as the starter, it has basic information and gives you routines and describes how to do them in basic terms.

I bought this for my wife and she follows it, after that you can grow into other books and forms.

Best of luck and sorry that the trainer thing did not work out. But motivation starts with you, be more aggressive in what you want, self confidence is the beginning.
  • gekiyellow
    Options

A lot of them are, it's basic customer service. that's what they are there for, to make customers keep coming back and keep paying their membership...

The gym is free of charge to anyone with a student ID, and the trainers (and the group fitness instructors) are students at the university with qualifications to train people (or teach group classes). They only get paid when they have clients (or classes). I said something to the manager of the facility but nothing is ever going to be done. It's staffed by students with the exception of the people who run the actual recreation department for the university, and they send me to the manager of the facility, who is a student. They really just don't care that much.

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! I appreciate your time.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Generally, when you join a gym you get at least one free session with a personal trainer. If you then choose to purchase a series of sessions, knowing that you don't plan to continue, you should write down things you do and learn as much as possible. It's not logical that a personal trainer will show you how to not need their services, especially at the college level and after only a few sessions. A seasoned trainer with many clients *might* offer more "free" help. But most do not. After all, it's their business and what they get paid to do. There is no such thing as a free lunch. I have a personal trainer/coach. It's worth it to me because of the accountability factor. He always changes up the routine and makes it fun and high energy. But if you want a free structured workout plan, I recommend that you purchase the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. I also like Jaime Easton's "free" plan on bodybuilding.com. Good luck!