do I need supplements?

kate205gti
kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I'm now eating a mostly healthy diet, I love salmon and prawns, i have almonds most days, i drink milk in porridge and coffee and have yoghurt and low fat cream cheese, wholemeal bread and lots of lean meat and veg so im fairly sure im getting most of the vitamins and calcium, do I need any other vitamins or mineral supplements?
I was thinking of omega 3, cod liver oil or calcium for joints as Im starting running now (couch to 5k!), and strength training, my instructor has recommended whey powder for breakfast and immediately after my weight training sessions and i take a B complex vitamin every morning for energy
I dont like taking pills so would rather not but do want to make sure my joints and limbs are strong (there is a history of oesteoporosis (sp!) in my family) - but reading on the net lots of sites say that overdoing your RDA of certain vitamins will cause damage so dont want to do that either :s any advice please? :)

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    A multivitamin certainly helps, especially if you are exercising. Fish oil is great for your heart and has been shown to help a little with weight loss (I have seen only 1 or 2 articles on fish oil and weight loss, so I am hopeful). You trainer is right about whey in the AM and after a work out. The body is in a catabolic state when you wake up and whey is quickly absorbed and muscles need food after a workout. If you take calcium, make sure you take vitamin D or you are wasting your time as vit d helps with the absorption.
  • rstring
    rstring Posts: 35
    My sisters (I have three that are all diabetic) use fish oil and eat almonds.We all use Qivana Qore & Metaboliq products for everything from detoxing, weight loss and believe it or not their diabetes. Qivana uses herbs. I personally use the metaboliq protein shakes which compared to my roommates gnc whey shakes ~ taste a whole lot better! I'm not good with remembering to take pills, like calcium or multi-vitamins, but when I remember I do take those as well.

Everyone is different, so it's really up to the individual as to what is right for them. I personally feel that with eating healthy and getting exercise; there is still room for supplements.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    If you are eating a wide variety of foods from all the food groups, specifically getting 3-4 servings a day of low fat dairy for the calcium, all colors of fruits and veggies (5 to 9 servings combined per day) for the vitamins and minerals, eating meat at least once daily for the B's and Iron, and 2-3 servings of fish per week for the omegas, you're probably fine without a supplement. If you are missing something in your diet, then you should look into supplementing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Sometimes, if you are cutting calories way down, then supplements might be indicated. Most of the time they are not. Trainers like to recommend supplements because a) all their trainer buddies are doing it; b) it makes them feel more useful; and c) they tend to be really gullible when it comes to this stuff.

Unless you have a specific deficiency, most supplements are pretty useless.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Sometimes, if you are cutting calories way down, then supplements might be indicated. Most of the time they are not. Trainers like to recommend supplements because a) all their trainer buddies are doing it; b) it makes them feel more useful; and c) they tend to be really gullible when it comes to this stuff.

Unless you have a specific deficiency, most supplements are pretty useless.

Totally agree! But, you forgot the trainers who make money off of selling supplements on the side. Most reputable certifications tell their trainers not to get into the supplement business because they aren't trained in nutrition, but some still do it. So, don't necessarily listen to the advice of a trainer in nutrition or supplementation unless you know they have some nutritional education too.
This discussion has been closed.