GF Pals

Options
I think there's probably quite a few of you out there ;)

I am an idiot, no doubt about that. I tried going gluten free about two years ago after a bunch of really annoying issues presented themselves and nothing got rid of them. For example, it would feel as though I had this annoying head cold that would not go away. My ears hurt like crazy. I couldn't concentrate at work and I would be super moody. I just felt like crap, and the turning point came one day when I was feeling so terrible and weak that I passed out in the middle of the day.

*Insert elimination diet attempt here*

I cut out all wheat/rye/barley (goodbye beloved beer) and was extremely careful with what I consumed. I felt a ton better after about a few weeks. For the most part I stuck with the diet, but had the odd beer here and there. That didn't bother me at all. However when I ate wheat, I felt the symptoms again.

Naturally you say, well why in the world would you eat wheat again if you knew that it made you feel that way? My answer is simply this - I am an idiot.

So for the past few days, after throwing a donut down the hatch, I'm getting foggy-brained and irritable.

Time to put my foot down, so I'm here looking for some support. I have to be smarter about food choices, not only for the sale of staying away from wheat, but because it's smarter and healthier for me to be preparing lunches and snacks every day at work.

L.

Replies

• Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that has Seeliaks ( not sure how it is spelt), so we as her friends try to make gluten free recipes all the time and there hasn't been one I didn't love!! At least now you know for sure and will probably be more cautious!!! Plus you will be cutting a lot of the high calorie foods that tend to make people fat!!!
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    So true! I sometimes buy that gluten free bread but I only know of some types that are really good and taste like the real deal. Same goes with desserts. I usually hate the way anything gluten free tastes, so I'd rather just not have it at all. On the flip side, I have started to enjoy more vegetarian dishes, so that's a bit healthier anyways.
  • narmowen
    narmowen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have celiac, no absolutely no gluten / wheat for me.

I have some favorite GF flours (like bob's red mill, king arthur flour etc), but for the most part, I don't eat any type of bread - GF or not. I've never been a big bread eater anyways.

There are GF donuts (they sell them at Whole Foods, for one), GF cereal (even fruit loops types, if you like that). Excellent GF muffin & cake mixes.

Just make sure you're reading the label, because gluten hides in a lot of things. Terayaki sauce, soy sauce (there is GF soy sauce made by Tamari), salad dressings, even rice can have gluten in it (if it's added during processing), so read the label carefully!
  • narmowen
    narmowen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Plus you will be cutting a lot of the high calorie foods that tend to make people fat!!!

Yeah, no. Most specifically GF food is very high in calorie since they relace the fat/binders that are in glutened bread with a lot of sugar so the taste is closer. Most GF is higher in calorie than it's non-GF counterpart.

If that were true, I wouldn't be trying to lose another 25 lbs...
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Like the previous posters, I pretty much avoid bread substitutes altogether. Sometimes, I will make some gluten free pancakes or corn bread but that's about it!
    I'm gluten sensitive but not Celiac. I find it does help me eat healthier because I tend to focus more on fruits and veggies!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    We may be going GF come January once we get my significant other tested for Celiacs. If it's positive (which I highly suspect it is), it's off to GF land we go. Any and all GF pals/recipes are more than welcome, because we both LOVE bread/biscuits/anything gluten-filled, so this might be a tough transition. I wish we didn't have to wait until January, but no insurance until then :grumble:
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't have Celiac, but I like how much better I feel without it. I am about GF at least 95% of the time :)