Fitness Programs/DVDs for a beginner?

Options
I like the results people get on Insanity, but I think I want to wait until summer (both for free-time reasons and personal-fitness-reasons) before I try it.

What are good structured fitness/exercise programs for someone who isn't particularly flexible or fit to start out? I want something with some cardio, but am more concerned right now about adding strength training to my daily routine. I have small dumbbells and a yoga mat, and would be willing to buy some new (<$50) equipment to do a program, but not much more.

Any suggestions/insight are appreciated.

Replies

• ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred or 6 Week 6 Pack by Jillian Michaels
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love the 30 day shred, you feel like you're going to die for first day, then come day ten it's so easy..a sure sign it's working.
    I'm also a big fan of fitness blender, they've tons of you tube workouts and a website that tells you how many calories you are burning.
    You can search for workouts by time, calorie burn, strength or cardio..really good stuff.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Try your library. you can try before you buy that way.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    13573420.jpg

no equipment needed. I've been amazed at the results.

add a little walking for some cardio, and you'll be set. (add more cardio if you love it)
  • thebza_x
    Options
    As already mentioned, 30 day shred is great, and fitnessblender.com is good as there are so many videos to choose from, although I find some quite tricky. If you have an iPhone/iPad, the Nike training club app is also good.
  • StarlaDesiree
    StarlaDesiree Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also a fan of Jillian Michaels. I like the Ripped In 30 workouts the best. Calisthenic and body weight exercises sound like the best option for you since you don't want to spend a lot of money on expensive equipment or memberships (then again, who does?). Squats, planks, push-ups, burpees, supermans, all kinds of other moves like that are very effective.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    13573420.jpg

add a little walking for some cardio, and you'll be set. (add more cardio if you love it)

+1 I did Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym, with my wife, and we both loved it. Saw some pretty awesome results. After that, maybe consider Something like Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for some training with free weights, and search fitnessblender.com for some hiit/cardio, or look at C25K to start running, if you're interested.

Go slow, learn good form on everything, and research the hell out of stuff.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    13573420.jpg

+1 I did Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym, with my wife, and we both loved it. Saw some pretty awesome results. After that, maybe consider Something like Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for some training with free weights, and search fitnessblender.com for some hiit/cardio, or look at C25K to start running, if you're interested.

Go slow, learn good form on everything, and research the hell out of stuff.

Another plug for this program, I highly recommend it. There is an app for your phone too.
  • summerroxygoodin
    summerroxygoodin Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of lvl 1 of the 30 day shred and it was a ton easier than yeaterday. You can watch lvl 1 free on YouTube BeFit channel.
  • anwylyd_un
    anwylyd_un Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    JM's 30 day shred for sure. She works you hard, but there are modifiers for some of the more advanced work to make it accessible for beginners. You will see results :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Slim in 6! It's more resistance training than cardio. All the jumping in 30 day shred turned me off... lol.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely look into 30 Day Shred and You Are Your Own Gym.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Yup 30 day shred
    Try supreme 90 day too!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' 30 day slim down

It's a rotation suposedly created by Jillian ( although I cant find the original source). It consists of the 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, and Burn Fat/Boost Metabolism. These can be bought quite cheaply as a box set.

N.B. 'Quick Trouble Zones' is the standing part of 'No More Trouble Zones'.

Here is what the program looks like

DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 7 - OFF!
    DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES

DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2