Seeking Recommendations for Cold Weather Gloves

Options
I live in upstate NY and some days, like today, it gets pretty frigid out. I try to walk my dogs everyday but sometimes its so hard because I have yet to find gloves that actually keep my hands warm. In addition to the cold I do have poor circulation/Raynauds Syndrome so it might just be a pipe dream to think that I will actually find something that can keep my hands warm but if anyone has any recommendations for gloves I would love to hear them. Thank you!

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    A warm pair of shearling lined leather gloves would be good. Sheep wool keeps your hands very warm and wicks sweat away so they don't get sweaty and cold. You can also buy little HotHands hand warmers. You can buy either single use ones or reuseable ones which you click a button to activate and they warm up and you slip them in your mittens or socks. For the ones you re-use you boil them in a pot for 10 minutes to return them to their liquid state.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    anything northface.

you might also look for some snowboarding mittens. if they're designed for a snowboarder in wet snow, it'll be great for just keeping out the cold.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I just moved to Wisconsin (from Florida) and have the same question! I think the answer must be some kind of glove liners with heavier gloves on top? I could wear ski gloves but I need dexterity to feed treats to my dog while we're walking and pick up the gifts on the neighbor's lawn...as it is now I have to take my glove off which is not ideal, and it's only November!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    A warm pair of shearling lined leather gloves would be good. Sheep wool keeps your hands very warm and wicks sweat away so they don't get sweaty and cold. You can also buy little HotHands hand warmers. You can buy either single use ones or reuseable ones which you click a button to activate and they warm up and you slip them in your mittens or socks. For the ones you re-use you boil them in a pot for 10 minutes to return them to their liquid state.

I've seen the disposable ones but not re-usable -- that sounds like a good idea, thanks!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just moved to Wisconsin (from Florida) and have the same question! I think the answer must be some kind of glove liners with heavier gloves on top? I could wear ski gloves but I need dexterity to feed treats to my dog while we're walking and pick up the gifts on the neighbor's lawn...as it is now I have to take my glove off which is not ideal, and it's only November!

The mittens with the part that flips back would be good for you I think. That way you don't have to take your whole glove off when you need to give treats, etc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-eMitt-Convertible-Flip-top-Mitten-from-SnowStoppers-/160377575961?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Gloves_Mittens&var=&hash=item25573f9a19
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

The mittens with the part that flips back would be good for you I think. That way you don't have to take your whole glove off when you need to give treats, etc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-eMitt-Convertible-Flip-top-Mitten-from-SnowStoppers-/160377575961?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Gloves_Mittens&var=&hash=item25573f9a19

Ooh, something like that looks perfect! Thanks!
  • xkissmekatex
    Options
    I walk the dogs and bike in the freezing cold...19 degrees today in Milwaukee Wisconsin. I love my smart wool liners with the touch feature...can use the phone if I want, wool keeps the cold sweat away. Then on top I have my grandoe mc2 mittens. Works perfect. No hot packs needed.
  • emtb319
    Options
    I had to find gloves for my husband a few weeks ago. He works outside late at night. I went to Lowes (hardware store) and found some West Chester gloves for him. They're insulated and great! You can find them over by the snow blowers and shovels. Home depot (another hardware store) does not stock them (save yourself the headache and trip).
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Black Diamond Windweight gloves for general winter from when Iived in New England. I don't know if that exact product would be helpful but Black Diamond makes some good stuff. I think there's also a convertible mitten version of the glove I have.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    http://www.costco.com/Head®-Women's-Ski-Glove---BlackPink.product.100086284.html

I have Raynaud's too, and also live where it gets very cold at times, and I've found these gloves extremely helpful. They have a zippered pocket on the back for inserting a hand warmer, but the gloves alone keep my hands plenty warm. I found them in black at my Costco last year, but they can be found in various stores and online. Definitely get their ski gloves, though (they make other, thinner kinds too).
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone. You have given me a lot of leads & I really appreciate it!