Success on a Vegetarian Diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What are your goals anyways? And have you tried to eat whole lean meats and stop eating processed meats? And has eating processed meats caused you to go over your calories?

There have been points where I've limited myself to lean unprocessed meats, but it seems easy for it to sneak back in my diet (especially when I was following a really strict high fat low carb diet). It's a little harder on my calories but my main issue is the sodium that these processed meats have. When I was a vegetarian I was very experimental with trying new veg and recipes and (even despite the cheese/bread) felt pretty great.
    Like, for example, when I was doing the ketogenic diet, for snacks on road trips I had a pepperoni stick and a cheese stick. When I went vegetarian I had a dish of raw broccoli and cauliflower and some nuts. Eating meat has me more worried about my macros than the actual content of where my calories are coming from, I think.

Do you have any fitness goals?

And have you considered doing a standard diet where you follow a specific calorie goal and not restricted all types of foods? I ask because it seems like you have done nothing but extreme diets (keto, low carb, vegetarian)? I personally found when I don't restrict the things I like, I comply with a calorie goal much better. And since you are young, if you exercise, you will easily be able to do a 1800-2000 calorie diet. Now, you can cut out processed foods if you prefer or aim for eating whole foods "xx" number of days, but in the end, you can eat processed meats if it fits in your caloric goal. I personally found when I cut out bread, I wasn't as successful. Now that I incorporate a daily Klondike bar, I do much better.

Also, I hope you don't see this as trying to talk you out of going vegetarian but rather trying to pinpoint your goals and helping give you a plan to achieve that. Keeping in mind, the diet is only a part of the equation... exercise is the other part.

Hi! You're pretty accurate. I do usually alternate with a nonrestrictive diet that works for me really well, but I'm very much an 'all or nothing' kind of gal. Nonrestrictive eating is really easy and maintainable, but I have done so much research on weightloss and what not to eat that in order for me to achieve the best results I feel as though I need to be very controlled with my food. Currently I am eating things that stick within my macros and trying to keep pretty clean and it seems to be working for me thus far, but my body loves to retain fat. An unrestrictive whole-foods kind of diet only takes me so far until I stop losing (regardless of my fitness level). Although going vegetarian is definitely a moral issue for me, it is also a means to control my diet.
  • papaya_panda
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm new here! :flowerforyou:

I was a vegetarian-- rather, bread-and-cheese-afarian-- for 2 years, but obviously I couldn't sustain it. I also gained weight at the time, unsurprisingly. I really want to go back to being a vegetarian, or at least pescatarian, but I'm giving myself a transition period this time around. I also want to eat healthier in general, figure out a fitness plan, increase muscle and hopefully lose 10lb.... though the weight loss isn't my biggest motivation right now.

Anyway, most of what I interpret as healthy eating is something along the lines of "chicken breast with roasted veg and some beans or whole grain rice." I've done the South Beach diet before (which is low or lower carb) and I found that it worked really well.

So my question is, how do I become a vegetarian, and also make sure I'm not overdosing on carbs? I think it's easy to do. I don't really need to go low-carb, but I do want to not eat an excess of carbs.... like more than I would if I were eating meat and I could just have a salad with chicken for dinner.

Also, how do you gals and guys who are veg get your protein needs? I know eggs, tofu, tempeh, lentils, quinoa, beans.... what else? Doesn't it get boring? Is that varied enough? Many of those also count as carbs right, so do you just eat lentils and veg, or quinoa and veg, etc??

Any help is really appreciated. Personal experience or links to sites or books, anything! I looked into some of the Happy Herbivore stuff. Thank you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are your goals anyways? And have you tried to eat whole lean meats and stop eating processed meats? And has eating processed meats caused you to go over your calories?

There have been points where I've limited myself to lean unprocessed meats, but it seems easy for it to sneak back in my diet (especially when I was following a really strict high fat low carb diet). It's a little harder on my calories but my main issue is the sodium that these processed meats have. When I was a vegetarian I was very experimental with trying new veg and recipes and (even despite the cheese/bread) felt pretty great.
    Like, for example, when I was doing the ketogenic diet, for snacks on road trips I had a pepperoni stick and a cheese stick. When I went vegetarian I had a dish of raw broccoli and cauliflower and some nuts. Eating meat has me more worried about my macros than the actual content of where my calories are coming from, I think.

Do you have any fitness goals?

And have you considered doing a standard diet where you follow a specific calorie goal and not restricted all types of foods? I ask because it seems like you have done nothing but extreme diets (keto, low carb, vegetarian)? I personally found when I don't restrict the things I like, I comply with a calorie goal much better. And since you are young, if you exercise, you will easily be able to do a 1800-2000 calorie diet. Now, you can cut out processed foods if you prefer or aim for eating whole foods "xx" number of days, but in the end, you can eat processed meats if it fits in your caloric goal. I personally found when I cut out bread, I wasn't as successful. Now that I incorporate a daily Klondike bar, I do much better.

Also, I hope you don't see this as trying to talk you out of going vegetarian but rather trying to pinpoint your goals and helping give you a plan to achieve that. Keeping in mind, the diet is only a part of the equation... exercise is the other part.

Hi! You're pretty accurate. I do usually alternate with a nonrestrictive diet that works for me really well, but I'm very much an 'all or nothing' kind of gal. Nonrestrictive eating is really easy and maintainable, but I have done so much research on weightloss and what not to eat that in order for me to achieve the best results I feel as though I need to be very controlled with my food. Currently I am eating things that stick within my macros and trying to keep pretty clean and it seems to be working for me thus far, but my body loves to retain fat. An unrestrictive whole-foods kind of diet only takes me so far until I stop losing (regardless of my fitness level). Although going vegetarian is definitely a moral issue for me, it is also a means to control my diet.

In all reality, cutting foods (or any type) will not improve fat loss or weight loss. Regardless of the type of food, it takes 3500 calories less to lose a lb. Now each macro serves it's purpose which will improve the "look". Protein is critical to muscle retention, fats will improve skin/hair/cognitive ability and carbs for energy. Protein is probably the most important for the fact that the more muscle you have, the more lean you will be. The key to weight loss is accuracy of tracking; so get a food scale and be meticulous.. If you are't losing weight, you probably aren't tracking correctly or too aggressive with your weight loss goals. If you want to see the greatest changes in our body, then weight training will give you those kinds of results.

Best of luck.
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost four years now, and in that time I gained weight (yay college!) and I've lost weight (I record everything that I eat. Everything.)

Being vegetarian or even vegan isn't going to be a magical weight loss answer, because you are always going to be able to find things that taste delicious and are calorie filled. I admit, I don't eat out as often as I did before I became vegetarian, but during the time I was vegan (about 6 months, but I ended up studying abroad and I didn't want my host family to have to deal with it) I still managed to eat my weight in vegan pastries and other delicious things.

Truthfully, the only thing that has worked for me has been tracking my intake. I'm not super restrictive (1500 on a lazy day filled with classes, and I eat back the calories I burn if I exercise. I don't like to be hungry!) but I make sure that I measure and record all of the things.

I weigh most of my food I prepare at home, and I track even on my "cheat" days. It has taken me a while to get in the habit, but I have recorded everything I've eaten for the past 105 days, and in that time I've lost a little over 30lbs, without going crazy on a diet or ridiculous workout regimen.

Can you lose weight being vegetarian? Yes, but it isn't for everyone. Can you lose weight eating a diet filled with bacon, cheese, and beef? Yes, but it isn't for everyone. Ultimately you have to find a way of eating that is healthy, sustainable, and makes you happy.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for more than four years now. At first I continued to slowly gain weight (as I had been while still eating meat), but once I joined MFP in January and started counting my calories, I haven't had any trouble losing weight, and I've now lost everything I had gained in the 9 years since I graduated high school.

I gained weight because I was not being mindful of calories or portion sizes and really had no idea what I was putting in my mouth, meat or no meat. I think it's important to eat a nutritious, balanced diet no matter how you choose to eat. I just try to hit my macros to the best of my ability and stay within my calorie goal (approx. 1700 calories a day). :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hellooo! I've done a lot of research regarding low-carb diets and I've been following one (varying in intensity) for quite a while, on and off. I was a vegetarian for 3 months until a nutritionist recommended I start eating meat because it would make my progress quicker. I don't really think I saw many results, but then again I'm not sure I saw many when I was vegetarian either-- but I suspect it might have been because I wasn't tracking calories... and I ate my fair share of cheese!
    I want to go vegetarian for the second time around, this time for good, and I was just wondering if any of you have lost weight by going vegetarian and if so, how much dairy do you eat and how many grains do you intake?

Also I would love if vegetarians with open diaries commented here so I could add you and get inspired by your food <3

I was vegetarian for about a year. it was okay but I didn't lose any weight, and in fact gained weight because I ate more calories than I burned. I really like having balance when it comes to food, and I enjoy eating meat.

No specific eating plan is essential to weight loss. The only thing required is to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • tbrp
    tbrp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and I don't think it impacts my weight loss efforts one way or the other. The factors I see that make a difference are keeping my calories in line and getting in some exercise. Try to keep your macros in balance and make sure you get the nutrition you need whether you eat meat or not. Just keep your focus, whatever you choose to do. :smile:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hellooo! I've done a lot of research regarding low-carb diets and I've been following one (varying in intensity) for quite a while, on and off. I was a vegetarian for 3 months until a nutritionist recommended I start eating meat because it would make my progress quicker. I don't really think I saw many results, but then again I'm not sure I saw many when I was vegetarian either-- but I suspect it might have been because I wasn't tracking calories... and I ate my fair share of cheese!
    I want to go vegetarian for the second time around, this time for good, and I was just wondering if any of you have lost weight by going vegetarian and if so, how much dairy do you eat and how many grains do you intake?

Also I would love if vegetarians with open diaries commented here so I could add you and get inspired by your food <3

I'm vegetarian, heading toward being a vegan. I've dropped dairy, cheese and eggs because I don't like how the animals are often treated, but I still don't understand what I'm eating because animal products are hidden in many foods. Of course, you can lose weight eating any kind of food as long as you stay within your calories for the day. I've lost about 50 pounds this year.

My basic diet: Breakfast, steel cut oats with a sliced apple instead of sugar; lunch and dinner: mostly lentils with vegetables and sometimes with brown rice. Lentils have 18 g protein for 1 cup (the protein of 3 eggs) and don't require soaking. I season them with a little olive oil and various spices. I also eat a lot of steamed kale and steamed collards. I'm not a cook and so my diet is "campfire style," really simple. I think any kind of diet works as long as it is food you are willing to eat long term. I've mostly cut out junk food and sweets because I can't stop eating them once I start. Some people can eat that kind of food in moderation, but I can't. Edited to add that my diet is not low carb -- I eat 200-300 carbs a day. Carbs are in all plants.
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    hey. going veg is a total personal preference & honestly i cant say that it will inherently help or hurt you as far as weight loss goes. as i think you've figured out, it all comes down to calories in vs calories used. you can eat only mac-n-cheese and brownies and be "veg" or eat grilled salmon with veggies & be a meat eater. that said, if you make good choices, it's not hard to get a good balance of nutrients on a veg diet.

i was vegan for about 4 years before switching to veg. i became vegan in 10 grade, when my weight was almost 200 lbs. after about 6? months of being vegan and a little more active (more energy!), i lost about 40 pounds. i wasn't counting calories then, but i think simply being "forced" to cut out the ice cream, hot pockets, mac-n-cheese, etc-- or at least to think twice about what i was about to consume -- made the weight loss easy, and maintenance was perfectly smooth and natural for the next ~4 years.

when i switched from vegan to veg, i gained about 10 pounds. i had moved to the caribbean & essentially had access to a buffet for every meal for a year, so its hard to say if it was the addition of dairy or simply the lifestyle change that packed some weight back on.

i've been vegetarian since then, for about 3? years now. i maintained no problem at around 155 lb until 3 months ago when i joined this site and have started counting cals. to lose weight.

sooo, long story short, i'd say i've definitely had success being vegetarian/vegan, and i've found it to be a really easy "diet" to follow. it's really changed my life as far as health goes. but you kind of have to make the leap on your own, for your own reasons. i imagine your doc was right in that being able to eat things like fish which are low cal and super healthy for you will make weight loss easier. but it's possible otherwise too, just be smart about it & fuel your body properly :) good luck xx
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was not vegetarian last year and did well losing weight steadily with mfp. When I stopped eating meat I stalled for a few months, probably because I was focusing more on getting enough b12, protein, iron etc. with plant based foods than my calorie deficit. I continued to lose once I had my diet sorted out and a routine of making seitan and veggie casseroles on the weekends.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    As with any diet, variety is essential. Make sure you vary your meals and track your protein to make sure you're getting it in.

I'm not a big breakfast eater but try to make sure I guzzle down a smoothie in the morning with a decent amount of protein to start me off.

I do Garden of Life RAW most of the time. It took awhile and a lot of berries to get used to (think: dandelions and dirt...), but now I love it.