Help! Why am I gaining weight?

Options
I started my weight loss journey in April 2012. By April 2013 I lost 93lbs. I reached my goal weight of 130. Around July 2013 I started to add carbs back into my diet but nothing crazy. Stuff like brown rice, bananas, oatmeal. In July I also started doing boot camp 3-5x's a week. Each camp is 1 hour. Here I am November 2013 and have gained 30lbs.

I went from wearing size 4,6,8 to now 10-12 and those are tight.

I haven't lost inches either.

I have gone to a nutritionist and she said I'm doing the right things. I do have hypothyroid but have it checked and it is normal and has been for the last 6 months.

Any help or insight would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Your food diary is private so no one can do anything but speculate. If you are gaining weight you are in a cal surpluss.

/thread
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food on a food scale?

Are you logging everything you eat?

Do you eat a little bit more (not a lot more) on exercise days?

If you are doing all the above, then you are eating too many calories and need to adjust accordingly.
  • misskaela206
    Options
    It's my understanding that most of the time when you start a new exercise program, that you will initially gain weight and possibly sizes before you lose. Your body has to gain muscle before that muscle gets to work burning off fat. I've experienced this myself coming out of boot camp when I joined the army. I was about a size 5 when I joined, and of course I gained weight due to muscle gain that I'd never had before. Was given my civilian clothes after boot camp and nothing fit because I had gained so much muscle. I went from a size 5 to a size 7. Continued years in the military put me up to a size 11.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that most of the time when you start a new exercise program, that you will initially gain weight and possibly sizes before you lose. Your body has to gain muscle before that muscle gets to work burning off fat. I've experienced this myself coming out of boot camp when I joined the army. I was about a size 5 when I joined, and of course I gained weight due to muscle gain that I'd never had before. Was given my civilian clothes after boot camp and nothing fit because I had gained so much muscle. I went from a size 5 to a size 7. Continued years in the military put me up to a size 11.

When you begin an exercise program you typically get some fluid retention which can mask fat loss or cause minor gains in weight. In this particular case however, not 30lbs of it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

When you begin an exercise program you typically get some fluid retention which can mask fat loss or cause minor gains in weight. In this particular case however, not 30lbs of it.
    [/quote

To add to this, she would be losing sizes if gaining muscle, not going up in size.

That said, Misty, congratulations on your weight loss!

The problem is that you are simply eating more than you think you are and that is why you've gained 30 pounds. It has nothing to do with adding foods back into your diet because no foods are good or bad. You've already said your thyroid is fine.

I suggest weighing all solid food and measuring all liquids and logging food and exercise calories. I have no doubt you will see your portions are bigger than you think they are. If you exercise, you also might not be burning as many calories through exercise as you think you are.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

She did not gain 30 lb of muscle.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The only explanation for 30 pound weight gain is that you're eating too much. You're not logging food correctly, not logging at all, not measuring your portions, overestimating calorie burns, not putting your own recipes into the database, something. Something, somewhere is wrong. Opening your diary will help us figure it out.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are eating too much and maybe overestimating exercise cal burns.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The only explanation for 30 pound weight gain is that you're eating too much. You're not logging food correctly, not logging at all, not measuring your portions, overestimating calorie burns, not putting your own recipes into the database, something. Something, somewhere is wrong. Opening your diary will help us figure it out.
    And/or your thyroid is acting up, and/or you've begun peri-menopause. Both of which would also mean you'll need to eat less and count more carefully (if you're a counter). Not disagreeing with this post, just saying you might want to see the doc again. You're the right age for peri-menopause and given that you already have thyroid issues...
    YOU may find that you have to be careful with grains as you age. many peri-menopausal and menopausal women do.
    Good luck!
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    Take out the foods you added and see if that helps.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of weight gain. If you aren't going off the rails with your diet and accurately logging every thing, I would see another doctor. I do bootcamp classes, and even at the beginning I didn't gain that. For someone to lose a good amount of weight through diet and exercise to suddenly put it back on, you are either not counting your calories properly, over eating (possible over estimating your exercise- do not use MFP estimates. I log about 250 exercise calories for a bootcamp), or you have a serious medical condition. I would look at something other than your thyroid.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Swap out foods with higher calorie density for foods with lower density. Get rid of anything with high fat, or refined sugar or refined grains.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too much, but not the right kind of food. At the end of the day it's not just about calories, but nutrition quality of the food you are eating. Are you making sure to eat green leafy vegetables? What are your ratios like? I find personally that if I have fruit that is too high in sugar I bloat up right away. I also try to be careful with what kind of carbs that I eat. I will have grains on occasion, but i mainly get my carbs from veggies and will have a sweet potato after I workout to help with the protein intake. If you are eating too much fruit or a high sugar fruit like bananas try limiting them. After I cut out bananas and readjusted my carb intake I lost about 7 pounds in a week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too much, but not the right kind of food. At the end of the day it's not just about calories, but nutrition quality of the food you are eating. Are you making sure to eat green leafy vegetables? What are your ratios like? I find personally that if I have fruit that is too high in sugar I bloat up right away. I also try to be careful with what kind of carbs that I eat. I will have grains on occasion, but i mainly get my carbs from veggies and will have a sweet potato after I workout to help with the protein intake. If you are eating too much fruit or a high sugar fruit like bananas try limiting them. After I cut out bananas and readjusted my carb intake I lost about 7 pounds in a week.
    30LBS of bloat?
  • Awesomegrammy
    Options
    Don't know if this will help. I am supper carb sensitive. I can never eat brown rice or bananas, which are carb dense. I gained weight over the summer by eating too much fresh fruit. I can eat most all vegetable except corn and potatoes. Try eliminating carb dense foods and pig out on cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, and kinds of salad fixings. Forget the croutons though. It's worth trying for a week. If it's white, don't bite. Good luck.
  • jasminesmom2005
    Options
    It could be something really small like eating a slice of bread a day, but it could be a little of everything adding carbs, gaining muscle, and stress in your daily life. If I was you I would think of a day back when you were losing weight and today, look at what your doing different and try to go back to what you were doing. Good luck.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

My thoughts also.

eating more than you need.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help. I am supper carb sensitive. I can never eat brown rice or bananas, which are carb dense. I gained weight over the summer by eating too much fresh fruit. I can eat most all vegetable except corn and potatoes. Try eliminating carb dense foods and pig out on cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, and kinds of salad fixings. Forget the croutons though. It's worth trying for a week. If it's white, don't bite. Good luck.

Sounds like you may be confusing water weight gain with actual weight gain.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would get your thyroid re-evaluated. Sometimes you can be 'symptomatic normal', which means your numbers are in the normal range for the general population but they are wrong for your personal body chemistry.