Cheap protein sources

Options
Hi guys just wondered how people fit their protein around their food budgets.

I've recently found natural yoghurt to be pretty good protein source for about £1.20 and you get 27g or so of protein( depends on brand). I usually mix it with oats for a breakfast meal easy to do at work (no cooking eggs less wind too)

Also a tin of Aduki beans for 16p, around 18g of protein and low fat, pretty good. Just wash them first to get some of the crap off them.

Anyone got any other good ones?

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, canned tuna, eggs, ground beef
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    According to this calculator here on this sight,, turkey!! I was quite amazed!!! But its high in sodium,,
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I see you live in england, but in the US the cheapest source of protein that is low in carbs, fat, calories, but high in protein is chicken breast. $1.99lb sometimes less.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Dried beans in bulk, tofu
  • antjoanes
    antjoanes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I guess anything you can buy in bulk works out to be good value
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Beans and nuts are my bestfriends and they can be inexpensive. I buy almonds by bulk and get a lot more for my money.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Almonds/nuts are good because they have good fats too which help in weight loss and health in general, eggs are a main staple in my diet, beans, peanut butter or other nut butters, greek yogurt like you said although around here it's very expensive, cheese, chicken/turkey breast, tuna or other white fish.
  • antjoanes
    Options
    Cottage cheese, that's a good point. Its pretty readily available and I notice quite cheap.

I had a small tub today and very happy with the protein content. I read its good to have before bed as the casein helps repair muscle at a slow steady rate.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Tuna, Peanut Butter,Almonds,Cottage Cheese,Ricotta Cheese,Beans
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    During summer months, you can get free protein if you have a garden. Try malabar spinach.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Get big bags of lentils, they are really cheap and can be mixed with pretty much anything.
  • C0C05
    C0C05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new to this, I am trying a high protein low carb diet and sticking to 1200c a day.

How many grams of protein should I be having a day and how many grams of Carbs?

I am sticking to 1200C and staying the same. Initially, I lost 6lbs in a couple of days, but I haven't lost anything for a while, which is not motivating me to loose these extra lbs.

I have 2 stone to loose and I am a busy mother of two young boys, so its all in the planning for me or I will fall off the wagon all too easily!!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!!
  • antjoanes
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new to this, I am trying a high protein low carb diet and sticking to 1200c a day.

How many grams of protein should I be having a day and how many grams of Carbs?

I am sticking to 1200C and staying the same. Initially, I lost 6lbs in a couple of days, but I haven't lost anything for a while, which is not motivating me to loose these extra lbs.

I have 2 stone to loose and I am a busy mother of two young boys, so its all in the planning for me or I will fall off the wagon all too easily!!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!!

1200cal a day sounds a little low, have you worked out BMR correctly. I've found going too low is counter productive and unsustainable. Best to aim for losing 1lb per week by working out bmr and applying your activity level to see how many calories you need, then either reduce calorie by 500per day either with exercise of reduced eating
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast in BULK, whey protein is dirt cheap too.... you don't need the best of the best.... but make sure to check the serving size.

If a serving is 50g ... and there's only 25g of protein in that serving, you're consuming 25g of trash... so make sure to check that out.
  • antjoanes
    Options
    Chicken breast in BULK, whey protein is dirt cheap too.... you don't need the best of the best.... but make sure to check the serving size.

If a serving is 50g ... and there's only 25g of protein in that serving, you're consuming 25g of trash... so make sure to check that out.

Great tip on they whey protein, think I'll actually check mine now and see what else is non protein in it.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    check bulkpowders or theproteinworks for whey, they are pretty much the cheapest around the uk.

Also you can buy fromage frais (with the yoghurts) or quark (cheese isle) in pretty much any shop and it has even better protein/fat ratio than low fat yoghurt. Asda's own brand fromage frais is only £1 for 500g.

Eggs are also really cheap. And lentils (buy the big pack of dried ones you get in the oriental foods isle, or go to an asian shop as they are much cheaper) Also tofu (you can just mix it into your soup and when processed you wont even know it's there)
  • auntiecorri
    Options
    Lentils- Super cheap, high in fiber and protein
  • katiefbe
    katiefbe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also a tin of Aduki beans for 16p, around 18g of protein and low fat, pretty good. Just wash them first to get some of the crap off them.

off topic slightly but where do you get your Aduki beans from? I just bought a can today and they were 70p, if I could get them cheaper it would majorly effect my diet. I know I can buy beans dried and they're cheaper but struggle with time and the cans are more convenient
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    In order of their appeal to me:
    Chicken boob
    Turkey
    Tilapia

Canned tuna
  • antjoanes
    Options

off topic slightly but where do you get your Aduki beans from? I just bought a can today and they were 70p, if I could get them cheaper it would majorly effect my diet. I know I can buy beans dried and they're cheaper but struggle with time and the cans are more convenient

From memory, I think a tin at Sainsbury is 69p (in water). So not much cheaper than you found. I might try Holland & Barrett to see if I can get price cheaper in bulk