Looking for tasty, healthy tofu recipes

Options
katzpawz
katzpawz Posts: 754
Greetings to all.

We are transitioning to a nearly vegetarian diet, and we're also working on losing weight (I have quite a bit to lose). Is anyone willing to share recipes that are tasty and healthy that include tofu? I've tried cooking with it in the past, and I never quite got it right.

Any recipes or instructions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
katzpawz

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I just typed in "tofu recipes" and my search engine popped up one million two hundred and forty thousand results! Sounds like a great start!
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    No worries!

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm looking for tofu recipes from folks that have actually made the dish and liked it. There are so many recipes out there, and I've tried a few that were not so good, I was hoping for ones that come with some sort of recommendation.

Thanks
    katzpawz
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I was looking through my Vitamix books and the cookbook that came with it just this morning. I see they have this recipe online too. Looked yummy to me. My guess is that any blender would work - but it won't actually heat it (like Vitamix does) so you will hae to heat in a pot on the stove.

Carrot Ginger Tofu Soup

Yield: 4 1/2 cups (1.0 l)

Speed: Variable to High
    Time: 3-4 minutes
    4 medium carrots, peeled, halved
    1/4 small onion, peeled
    4 small garlic cloves, peeled
    2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    pinch white pepper
    1 tablespoon fresh ginger root or Ginger Paste
    1/3 cup (70 g) light silken tofu
    2 cups (480 ml) low sodium vegetable or chicken broth

1. Place carrots, onion and garlic into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
    2. Select Variable 1.
    3. Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to Variable 4 or 5.
    4. Blend for 10 seconds or until chopped.
    5. Heat oil in a small pan and sauté chopped ingredients until onion is clear and carrots are tender. Add a little broth, if needed.
    6. Place remaining ingredients into the Vitamix container, add sauteed ingredients and secure lid.
    7. Select Variable 1.
    8. Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
    9. Blend for 3-4 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i make a great fast dish with TVP (not much of a fan of tofu) i only eat seafood.
    but what i do is use a
    low sodium chili mix
    tvp
    tomato sauce
    splenda

mix it up and i have a quick high protein dish to eat when i don't feel like cooking or i need something fast. sorry dont know measures. i just know lol
  • sassyfied
    Options
    Baking tofu in the oven is my favourite way. I don't have specific recipes but any spices you like and sauces can be put on cubes of raw tofu and baked in the oven. My very fussy son just loves it slathered in bbq sauce and then baked. The combinations are endless.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    this one is simple, and great with rice
    dice some firm tofu
    chop peppers, tomatoes, broccoli and cauliflower (almond any veggies really, but I like this combination)
    marinate with italian salad dressing or roasted red pepper dressing, or your favourite)
    I like to let it sit for a while but you can cook it right away
    roast in a covered dish at 350, for 30-45 minutes
  • mizzjessie
    Options
    I have a few that I found on wholefoods.com that I am going to try. If they are good I will post them on here.