Best brown rice to use

Options
I have been making brown rice but half a cup has 300 calories. Is there a type of brown rice that is low on calories?

Replies

• ItsJustVicki
    Options
    I use success boil in bag-I think 150 calories for 1 cup
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Not sure this works with brown rice, but saw it and thought I would throw it out.

Rice contains starch, and that is where it gets the calories. Try this simple way to cook the rice -this gets most of the starch out and you get low calorie rice. 1. Take whatever amount of rice you want (2,3,4, or up to 5 cups- can take more rice also; just make sure you get a really large-sized pot) 2. Put the rice in a bowl 3. Wash the rice repeatedly till the cloudy water turns clear (usually takes 5-6 washes) 4. Drain the rice and put it in a large pot. 5. Add water. The water should be 4-5 times the amount of rice. (The idea is that you cook the rice in a lot of water so that the starch comes out in the water, and then you drain the water.) 6. Add a few drops of oil and a pinch of salt for taste (optional-this makes the grains separate and look nice and fluffy.) 7. Boil the rice till it is almost as soft as you wish it. 8. Drain the water using a strainer. 9. Put the rice back in the pot. 10. Cover and cook it on very low flame for a couple of minutes (this step steam cooks the rice - again to make it nice and fluffy.) 11. Enjoy your delicious, starch-free, low-calorie rice Let me know how it works out!
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip Amarillo_NDN :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I just get the boxed instant brown rice (store brand) and it's only 150 cal for 1/2 cup.
  • tina8884
    Options

that is what I use too... the whole grain
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

that is what I use too... the whole grain

I use the Uncle Ben's version, but it's basically the same thing. I love it!