After a cheat day

Options
Just curious...the day after a cheat day do you try to eat less than your daily calorie goal or just continue on as if you didn't cheat? I ask this because yesterday was my cheat day for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary and my sis and I made all kinds of Doctor Who treats. I've eaten healthy all day, but as usual my nighttime snack craving is kicking in and I have plenty of calories left over. Thoughts?

Replies

• cuspofqueens
    Options
    I would continue on as normal - that's why they call it a 'cheat', imo.

That being said, if I feel sick at all from whatever I cheated on (i.e., too many sweets leading to a tummy ache), then I'd probably take it REALLY easy the next few days.

But that's just me. :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hungry I am, lol :)

I've been able to eat less the following days, so I go with that since it makes the average nice and a bit lower. If I'm hungry, I eat my normal goal. I never know which way I'm going to feel until it happens.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I believe a treat or a cheat day is a trick, to fall off the wagon
    Problem with loving a temptation like food. How can you stop, when you happy or sad. My problem is I love food.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't eat less the next day. I've been on MFP for 16 months and I've had a cheat day almost every week since I started and I've had great results. I'm not saying my way works for everyone, but it has worked for me.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Problem with loving a temptation like food. How can you stop, when you happy or sad. My problem is I love food.

If you don't treat yourself every once in a while you'll fall off the wagon permanently.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As someone that has had numerous "cheat days," (which I define as one of those special occasion days like you describe, where I'll eat 1000+ calories over maintenance while at a birthday party or whatever) I've found it easiest to simply get back to business the next day and it hasn't affected my results at all. If you have leftovers, be sure to fit those into your calorie budget in the days following the initial "cheat day." In the long haul, it's not going to make much difference one way or the other.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I just continue. The only time it happened though, I wasn't that hungry the next day and ended up 100 under my goal anyway (which really never happens anymore).
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat less, drink more water and exercise...and try to resist the urge to weigh...he he
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    business as usual...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Just curious...the day after a cheat day do you try to eat less than your daily calorie goal or just continue on as if you didn't cheat? I ask this because yesterday was my cheat day for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary and my sis and I made all kinds of Doctor Who treats. I've eaten healthy all day, but as usual my nighttime snack craving is kicking in and I have plenty of calories left over. Thoughts?

The next day I go back to my healthy eating habits, work out and stay within my calorie goal. There's no need to start a 'yo-yo' pattern of eating too much and then not eating enough. As long as you are normally consistent with a health calorie intake there's no need to worry about the occasional high calorie day.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well nutritionists are suggesting that many people who are overweight didn't get that by constantly overheating but progressively gaining ~2kg a year purely from things like Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. Over a period of time if you're not balancing calories in vs out you're going to gain weight. I don't have cheat days as such but I always log everything on here.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options

What's true for you, is not true for everyone.

For some of us, a "cheat" day (although I don't like to call it that, personally) every once in a while is essential for keeping the cravings at bay AND maintaining a lifestyle change rather than a "diet".
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

I love food....but its not temptation, its nourishment and delicious. There's nothing wrong with eating, the problem with binge eating is more based around emotion and psychological health. Refeeds or cheat days arent for everyone, but losing weight doesnt have to be punishment or overly restrictive..... www.gokaleo.com is a great resource for anyone with eating issues or trying to climb out of the diet-binge rabbit hole :smile: