Should i watch calories or macros

Options
i wanna know if i should track macros as well as calories. its pretty hard doing both so should i do only calories and forget about macros of just do macros and forget about calories. My goal is only not to gain any weight or fat just trying to maintain my current weight

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    calories over macros.

calories is weight management, macros is overall health.

you need both, but if you want to avoid weight gain, calories over macros.

my personal feeling is eat how you want to eat but try to keep it healthy, with a good amount of protein.

you should be able to do both well at maintenance.

personally, I go for cals + a healthy diet, not watching the macros.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Calories in, Calories Out
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Calories. If you come to a point where you want to do something specific, like gain muscle, then pay more attention to macros. Or if you have a health issue. But to maintain, and otherwise healthy, calories.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, calories are top dog. As long as you are getting your calories from real food and aren't doing something strange with your diet, you will meet most of your macros.
  • Bunnyeye
    Options
    I am ignorant ,help what.s !"whats MACROS,UK..
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I am ignorant ,help what.s !"whats MACROS,UK..

It is the things that make up the calories. Carbs, Protein, Fat, vitamins, blah, blah, blah. That kind of stuff. So a piece of fruit might have 100 calories, the fiber/carbs/sodium are the macros.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Both, I find that if I keep protein at 30% or more, it is easier to get my calories right. YMMV, but it works for me.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Maintanance is harder than weight loss. I am at my goal weight, but 21% body fat. Now doing Maintanance calories, but watching macros to lose BF, but not weight. Increased proteins and lowered carbs. This is way more food restrictive than the 5 months I spent losing the 40 lbs.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Well I learned someting new. I thought calories was a part of the macros.....tracking your fat, protein, etc. was to make sure you were eating good foods and healthy while you were tracking calores.
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Count calories, that's key
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Calories are the way to go when you first start, then go with macros as you learn more...drink lots of water either way.

Exercise is a great bonus, do not do what I did and just go with cardio...get those weights and resistance in at the start x
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If your only aim is to maintian weight then calories are your key, just make sure you are eating a genrally balanced diet.

you only really need to worry about macro's if you are looking to either gain muscle or maximise your sports performance.
  • lvlupfitness
    Options
    Macros. If your'e goal is to maintain weight, then you should know what your caloric intake should be around. All calories are not created equal. There is a difference in the way the body handles calories from carbs vs. proteins vs fats.