Irritable Bowel Syndrome brought on by exercise

Options
I've had IBS for about 8 years now, and I tend to get flare ups when I am stressed. Thankfully for the last year I've been almost symptom-free, but since starting running with the C25K program three weeks ago it seems to have come back again. The last time I tried to start running (almost two years ago) the same thing happened. It seems like a bit of a Catch-22: exercising is good for preventing stress, yet for me the type of exercise I want to do seems to be causing symptoms. I am not currently stressed and the only thing that has changed has been that I'm now doing regular exercise. Also, when I say I am experiencing symptoms these symptoms aren't during the run but for days afterwards.

Has anyone else with IBS experienced this? And have you been able to continue exercising the way you want by managing it through diet, or do you have any suggestions?

Replies

• Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    As I understand it increasing exercise quickly can lead to release of cortico-steroids, whcih is the body's stress response pathway. Or, well, one of them.

Essentially I think until you're fitter your body will have a stress response to the exercise.

I could be completely wrong, this is just what I'd conlcude from my own knowledge and research.

I don't have IBS and I don't really understand it's symptoms too well, but is there any way to try to keep going until it subsides? Or I guess go to see your GP :)
  • lovemuffin6
    Options
    Running too soon after eating, or eating foods high in fibre can cause stomach upsets could it just be that?
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the replies. The stress hormone idea is one I hadn't thought of, thanks for that!

I've been to many doctors about IBS and have never found any of them very helpful, so I'm sort of resigned to just working out how I should manage it myself. I have previously ended up eating a diet low in FODMAPS (short chain carbohydrates (oligosaccharides), disaccharides, monosaccharides and sugar alcohols) but find it very restrictive.

I always wait at least two hours after eating before running, and the high fiber thing is definitely related to IBS but when I wasn't running it wasn't a problem... so what I am struggling to understand is why running should have changed how my body deals with fiber or other foods.
  • enidben7
    enidben7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Was this a medical diagnosis? Did a doctor diagnose this medical condition?

You can go to the NIH (National Health Institute or National Institute of Health) to see if exercise is a trigger for IBS. IBS is also known as spastic colon, irritable colon, mucus colitis, functional bowel syndrome so check into these as well.

I do not have IBS, but I'm currently studying pathology.
  • enidben7
    enidben7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Trying adding more fiber and more bulk to our diet and monitor what triggers it. Artificial sweetners are triggers as well.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have IBS. Had it my whole life. Any change in routine or diet will cause me symptoms.

In the case of exercise, it could be the stress hormones. It could also just be the change and your body may need some time to adjust to the new routine. Lastly, it could be the change in hydration. If you get a little dehydrated, or drink too much water it can also cause symptoms. How long have you been running? if not long maybe just give it some time and see if your body adjusts. I know its not fun, but unfortunately IBS is forever, so just dealing sometimes till you adjust is best.

FYI, I agree on the Doctors and IBS, they really aren't helpful. My Dr gave me a pill at one point. It caused me to have to go NOW! I tried to tell him and he didn't "hear" me. I stopped taking it. Playing with diet and routine are the best ways to keep symptoms away. I am mostly OK. I was sent to Germany, Spain, UK and then South Africa. After each trip it took me 2 weeks to get back to normal. Holidays because my life is not as scheduled and my food is only OK, I will suffer off a bit. Stress is naturally the worst. I get upset and it goes straight to my stomach. It is really funny because sometime my husband will be like why don't you take an Immodiem or something and I am like I would like to be able to poop again sometime this year, so NO
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Trying adding more fiber and more bulk to our diet and monitor what triggers it. Artificial sweetners are triggers as well.

Oooh I did not know that. I will have to watch that one.

Grease is a huge trigger for my daughter.
  • arrseegee
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

Yup it's been diagnosed by doctors, although as fannyfrost mentioned often the doctors aren't all that helpful. I think that's because a) a lot of doctors don't actually know a lot about it and b) because symptoms are so different for everyone.

I have always eaten a high fiber diet so I think adding more fiber now would just cause digestive suicide for me.

Once I have got IBS symptoms I know what to eat and what not to eat, but I was curious about why the running seemed to be causing it. And thanks to your nice replies plus a bit more research I have discovered that although most exercises don't cause IBS it seems that running is an exception - lucky me! I'll keep up my running and fingers crossed as I get more used to it these symptoms will go away. And if not then perhaps I'll have to find some other type of exercise.

Thanks again
  • popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I cured anxiety-induced ibs symptoms by speaking to a psychiatrist and trying SSRI's. My symptoms also didn't respond to a dramatic change in diet. I know what you mean about trying everything in order to find peace with the symptoms. I have other reasons to take the medication, so it might not be for everyone, but it did help me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    fwiw (which may be nothing). I don't have IBS. I have always had a sluggish bowel actually.

I've always had walmarts and starbucks built into my run routes because running OFTEN triggers a BM for me. It very often causes some cramping. I never can predict which days I'll need to stop, unless I've emptied my bowels before my run.

I learned the coffee shop trick from a friend years ago when we ran together in DC. She ALWAYS had to stop for a pooh.

My only point: many folks find running affects their bowels. You're not alone there. Good luck figuring out something that works for you though!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fwiw (which may be nothing). I don't have IBS. I have always had a sluggish bowel actually.

I've always had walmarts and starbucks built into my run routes because running OFTEN triggers a BM for me. It very often causes some cramping. I never can predict which days I'll need to stop, unless I've emptied my bowels before my run.

I learned the coffee shop trick from a friend years ago when we ran together in DC. She ALWAYS had to stop for a pooh.

My only point: many folks find running affects their bowels. You're not alone there. Good luck figuring out something that works for you though!

this- very common for a lot of people. It may not be your actual IBS- it maybe just be the running itself.

I remember I was running with a guy friend of mine- and it got so bad- we couldn't stop anywhere for him to go- so we at some point just had to walk. He was in quiet a bit of pain. You are DEFINITELY NOT alone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

this- very common for a lot of people. It may not be your actual IBS- it maybe just be the running itself.

I remember I was running with a guy friend of mine- and it got so bad- we couldn't stop anywhere for him to go- so we at some point just had to walk. He was in quiet a bit of pain. You are DEFINITELY NOT alone.
    Yep. Had that happen on a sunday morning a few weeks ago. Hubs and I ran a neighborhood route and then I HAD to go and there was no where to go...I had to just walk til we could find a place.
    Because I could never be like this lady:
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/19/new-mexico-runner-caught-on-camera-repeatedly-pooping-in-mans-yard/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can imagine doing it once as an emergency- I was having some legitimate serious IBS issues and I had to stop once driving home from work- shameful- but it happened. Better the great out doors than my truck!! Least I had baby wipes!!!

But more than once? nope- you need to plan better!!! How embarrassing!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, "runner's trot" is pretty common. It may just be made worse by your IBS. Here's a decent article about it with some tips to help. The two things I try to do is make sure I'm very well hydrated and eat something that tends to bind, like a banana, before running. For hydration, don't try to start the day of your run, instead make sure you are always very well hydrated. Don't just drink extra water on your running days, drink it every day. I learned this trick from a friend of my Hub's that was stationed in the Middle East. The day before a big hike, they'd make sure to drink a ton of water. By the time you feel dehydrated, it's usually to late to catch up.

http://www.time-to-run.com/doctor/runnerstrots.htm

Hope you can find some good tricks to help!

ETA: oops, forgot the link. :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What kind of food do you eat? I had IBS for years, and it completely went away about a year and a half ago after a 4 day juice fast, and a change in diet. It never came back, no matter what exercise i do.
  • arrseegee
    Options
    What kind of food do you eat? I had IBS for years, and it completely went away about a year and a half ago after a 4 day juice fast, and a change in diet. It never came back, no matter what exercise i do.

I eat normal food! until my IBS flares up and then I follow a low FODMAP diet, which helps manage symptoms.

Re running with the runs: this has not been a problem for me yet this time, long may it last. I too have had a number of unfortunate (= hilarious to my friends) situations in the past where I have had to urgently go mid-run, it's humiliating and I now always carry tissues and a doggy bag just in case!
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C and regular excersize helps for me.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

I eat normal food! until my IBS flares up and then I follow a low FODMAP diet, which helps manage symptoms.

Re running with the runs: this has not been a problem for me yet this time, long may it last. I too have had a number of unfortunate (= hilarious to my friends) situations in the past where I have had to urgently go mid-run, it's humiliating and I now always carry tissues and a doggy bag just in case!
    The idea of the low FODMAP diet is that you do the elimination phase and then gradually bring them back in. You may find its only one or two things that you need to avoid. Did you work with a qualified dietician on it- that's the recommended way.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I can imagine doing it once as an emergency- I was having some legitimate serious IBS issues and I had to stop once driving home from work- shameful- but it happened. Better the great out doors than my truck!! Least I had baby wipes!!!

But more than once? nope- you need to plan better!!! How embarrassing!!!
    I know!
  • arrseegee
    Options

The idea of the low FODMAP diet is that you do the elimination phase and then gradually bring them back in. You may find its only one or two things that you need to avoid. Did you work with a qualified dietician on it- that's the recommended way.

Haha yes I did do that, but I am also a dietician! When I am having a flare up almost anything anything on the list will set me off, except avocado or wheat products. After about six months (or when things are improving - sometimes it's earlier) I start reintroducing and if I can eat an apple and not have a problem then I know things are improving :)