17 Day Diet

Options
Hello everyone! So tomorrow I'm starting the 17 day diet. I was hoping someone would join me for stage 1 and 2 and commit to at least checking up on each other once daily through text and commit to 35 min of cardio a day! I know the holidays are coming up but we can do this together and we shouldn't go off our eating on holidays it's not about the food it's about the company and fun!!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Why diet? Diets are just temporary fixes and why people regain weight after they stop them. Commit to not eating too much. This is something that people can do for life if they apply it correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What happens on Day 18?
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    What happens on Day 18?

Zombie apocalypse.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The 17 Day Diet: What It Is
    Cycle 1, called "Accelerate," strips your diet down to the bare bones of approximately 1,200 calories per day. It promises weight loss of 10-15 pounds, most of which is water weight.

“This phase cleanses, hydrates, removes unhealthy carbs, improves unhealthy eating habits, and stimulates fat metabolism," Moreno says.

Continue reading below...
    In cycle 2 (called "Activate,") the food plan is alternated with a slightly higher-calorie activate plan. Moreno says the zig-zag between cycles keeps the metabolism guessing, helps prevent boredom, and continues to stimulate fat burning to yield about a 5-6 pound weight loss.

Cycle 3, called "Achieve," is the stabilization period that allows healthier foods with a slower rate of weight loss of about 2-3 pounds, Moreno says.

Cycle 4 -- the final phase, called "Arrive" -- is when you arrive at your goal weight. In cycle 4, follow meal plans from one of the earlier cycles during the week with controlled splurges on weekends to maintain your new weight.

Exercise at least 17 minutes a day during the first two cycles – primarily walking because of the limited calorie intake. In the later cycles, ramp up exercise to 150-300 minutes per week for continued weight loss.

.. Apparently on day 18 you arrive at your goal weight? :huh:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Whatchu talking 'bout Willis? The holidays are absolutely about food.

More like booze ... :P ...
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This diet is bull ****. You should at least talk to a doc nefore doing something so stupid. I can see it could be a good plan. Bit also it could make you go into starvation mode.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Here is a review of the diet from WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/17-day-diet-review

If that is TL;DR. This diet causes you to lose weight by cutting calories, and encouraging "clean" eating. There is no scientific evidence that metabolism confusion is real. You may also gain weight in cycle 2, because cycle 1 is mostly water weight.
  • Aldennmom
    Aldennmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great program both my parents and sister lost over 40lbs eating healthy clean foods. Encouraged to work out and eat plenty of healthy fats. With a calorie goal of 1200 a day. You will do fantastic!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. Don't be foolish.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend how much you have to lose, but expecting to reach your goal weight in 17 days seems unrealistic
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! So tomorrow I'm starting the 17 day diet. I was hoping someone would join me for stage 1 and 2 and commit to at least checking up on each other once daily through text and commit to 35 min of cardio a day! I know the holidays are coming up but we can do this together and we shouldn't go off our eating on holidays it's not about the food it's about the company and fun!!!

My advice is to not start this until after the holidays, it's going to be extremely hard to follow this month. I do this one occasionally. It works and if you follow it right the weight stays off.

It's got a crappy name, but its a sound plan. I don't see it as a diet.. although the 1st 17 days is all about restricting which foods you eat (not how much, so don't fall into under eating) and if you get the headache most of us did, just power through it. It's just your body adjusting to the lack of sugar/carbs

1200 calorie goal is too low.. don't set yourself that low.. Eat a LOT of chicken and other proteins, eat a LOT of veggies. I had a really hard time eating enough on this plan. Follow the original book, not the sequels. Make chicken and veggie omelets for breakfast.. I used 2 eggs and 3 egg whites min for mine.. eat at least 8 -12 oz of the meat with your meals.

Read labels... It's very easy to derail yourself from this diet if you don't check what you are eating. Hidden sugar is everywhere.

I personally love this diet. I feel amazing when I follow the plan and stick with it. I've been bad lately, but am thinking of doing 1 round of Cycle 2 or maybe 1 in between the holidays just to re-establish my eating habits. Too much stress for me to deal with anything else in between holidays.

ETA: The book doesn't focus on calories at all. .. it doesn't tell you to eat X amount of calories. It just tell you to eat from a list of food. There is no diet foods or anything to buy other then the book. If you go through Cycle 1,2 and 3 and are not at goal weight you just go through them again, or pick you favorite one and do that one again. It's really easy to follow once you get the food list down. And really most of what is on that list we all eat anyway, no matter what diet plan you follow.

I mean.. chicken/fish/veggies/yogurt.. then pork/shellfish/oats/etc..

It's focus is on sugar and healthy clean eating. Which for me is a double win, since I don't like the sugar and I love eating clean.

It's not "Day 18 and done".. it's "ay 18 and you should have learned how to eat properly and make better choices, so you eat better for life. If you haven't that's the books fault, or the diets fault it's yours.. and likely you wouldn't have learned it anyway, even if you didn't follow a diet and just tried to lose weight on your own. And really it's day 52 and you should have learned all of that, and seen some good weight and inches lost.