Name calling stops my motivation to get fit.

Options
I start to lose then I stop
You know why?
Its because strangers make insulting comments about my weight.
This is anywhere. At work, church, mall you name it.
Anywhere public people will call me fat.
Already I'm self conscious about my face. I've been called ugly by family, people at work, etc for years.
So then I say well let me concentrate on my weight since I can't do anything about my hidious face.
But at work one day a visitor walked up to my desk (at hospital) and just said "you're fat".
I didn't even respond. I was insulted.
Then today I walked to my car in church parking lot only to hear two young boys 13 or 15 yrs old say "she sure is big"
This makes me want to quit.
I just I just don't know.:brokenheart:

Replies

• Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    :cry: I'm so sorry that there are ignorant people in this world!! :cry: However, wouldn't you like to be able to reply, "Yes, but I'm doing something about my weight issues. Sadly, there's nothing you can do about your stupidity issues!" :bigsmile:

Doesn't a part of you want to prove all these people wrong? Doesn't a part of you want to say, "Look at me now!" :drinker:

Find your "WHY"....Why do you want to lose the weight? Why do you want to look good? Why do you want to get healthy? Why do you want to be able to move without pain? WHY? This will give you your motivation to take baby steps everyday for the rest of your life.

YOU CAN DO THIS FOR YOU!! YOU MUST DO THIS FOR YOU!! IF NOT FOR YOU THAN WHO?? :flowerforyou:
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm sorry that people are so cruel. I never get compliments, if that makes you feel better. My family has always called me fat, even when I was struggling with anorexia and I my bones were sticking out. Do not listen to them. I think that you've got a nice, pretty face. You should smile more and fix yourself up. You're not living for anyone except for yourself. Enjoy yourself, enjoy your life. No one else is like you. You are unique and no one else can be you. Be proud of who you are and take care of your body because no one else will.

Keep up the great work, keep working out. And if everyone keeps being mean, switch churches and cut the mean people out .Screw them, if they're going to be mean to you...why do you need them?!

Enjoy and have a lovely evening. :)
  • losborn52
    Options
    Try to ignore the opinions of those who insult you. Remember, God doesn't make junk!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, you are NOT ugly! You must live in a place where people feel free to speak their mind. In a BAD way. :grumble: Please try to remember, that hurt people HURT PEOPLE. That means it is THEIR problem, not yours. I feel sorry for anyone who is down enough to have to resort to hurting someone in an effort to make themselves feel better.

You, my dear, are not one of those hurt people. So hold your head high, and get healthy for YOU. Because you are worth it. :heart:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You know why?
    Already I'm self conscious about my face. I've been called ugly by family, people at work, etc for years.
    So then I say well let me concentrate on my weight since I can't do anything about my hidious face.
    But at work one day a visitor walked up to my desk (at hospital) and just said "you're fat".
    Then today I walked to my car in church parking lot only to hear two young boys 13 or 15 yrs old say "she sure is big"

You need to take these negative comments and turn them into positive. Start by exercising for 30 minutes a day.. Otherwise you will stay "fat". Use this as revenge on all those, especially those close to you to show that you have will power and are determined to lose weight. I was 192.4 February 2013, I have since lost 24 pounds, very slowly. This has made a big difference to my life: I am not walking around my bedroom in my underwear, wearing dresses and other clothes that I were not able to wear for over 10 years, feeling really good about myself and more confident. For my birthday in April 2014, my goal is to be 150 towards 140. Even though I have lost 24 pounds, I still see myself as overweight, and still have some way to go, but I have started my journey and this is for me.

You have to make this work for yourself, no one else can do it for you. People will talk and say nasty things, but just look at yourself and say yes I am fat, but guess what come summer of 2014, I plan to lose xxxxx number of pounds. Take one day at a time and trust me if you stick with it by this time next year, you will in a better position. Just remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and what is in your heart.

One of things I have learn is that you cannot say I love you to someone, unless you love yourself, and in order to do do you have to make peace with yourself.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Sorry that's happening to you and maybe it's time to start speaking up for yourself? If you allow yourself to be treated like a doormat that's pretty much what you;re going to get.

Personally I'd tell all those people to either a) STFU (expanding the acronym, thank you very much) b) To mind their own business or c) say "oh i see. it's give unsolicited advice day?" and start laying into them about THEIR short comings.

trust me once you get uber-b*tchy back to people they sort of stop picking on you for fear of your response.

also you're not ugly. unfortunately haters are going to hate and even worse some people try to make themselves feel better about themselves by being mean to people they know will let them get away with bad behavior
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Girl, you don't look ugly OR fat in your profile pic? Some people are just unbelievable!!! I had a woman who weighed like 400lb's try to put me down! It was a co-worker, and I wanted to call her out so bad, but I bit my tongue 'cuz I knew she was speaking out of jealousy. Don't let anyone steal your joy! I've been picked on since I was a little kid, been called fat, and pretty much stupid by both family and so called friends. I've proved EVERY single one of them wrong by losing all the weight, (I'm no longer considered overweight, woot woot!) and I managed to get straight A's in some pretty rough classes, like chemistry, anatomy and physiology, math, and so on. I also managed go get my nursing degree, and I'm now a registered nurse, so guess what? I'm not fat OR stupid, and all those people can kiss it!!! :wink: :happy: :happy: :happy: You look pretty in your pic. Don't let those mannerless, rude, and big mouthed people sabotage you, and keep you from your dreams!!! Sometimes when people are down, they want to drag others down with them. Don't let them!!! You're better than them!!! :happy: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    if i were you i`d use this to bust my a** in the gym.
    no one has the right to call others ugly....beauty really does lie in the eye of the beholder.
    but I have zero respect for "fat/obese" people who are unhappy with the way they are and yet do nothing about it and complain( not implying anything to do with you...i`m merely expressing an opinion) unless of course its a medical thing or something.

prove them wrong. use that as motivation. and then, when the time comes, watch the expression on their faces! your happiness will be derived from it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You know why?

I'm sorry people have been so impolite towards you. But you need to be honest with yourself - that's not why you stop - that's how you justify stopping.

Words cannot stop you from pursuing any goal you truly want to pursue.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Boo them, you're lovely! :flowerforyou:

Don't let them win OP. Comments like that come from insecurity. I completely understand how hurtful those remarks are though. I was called ugly and had comments made about my body up til about college. Sophomore year of high school I was informed that my class had titled me the ugliest girl that year. Since then I've started modeling and was even offered a position to compete in the Miss Washington USA pageant. Know what turned things around? Attitude. Perspective. That's honestly it.

You got this OP, hold your head high.
  • gogeter82
    gogeter82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    the outpouring of love from you all is astounding.
    I appreciate your encouragement.
    I must continue with eating healthy foods and working out..
    Even when it means speaking my mind to ignorant folks.
    I love you all.:heart:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Words can hurt, and there really is no excuse for rudeness.
    You are not ugly, you look pretty, but sad, on your profile picture.
    It is hard to ignore nasty, unthinking comments, but try.
    Keep moving forward, and the positive comments will out number the negative!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, you are at a very low point, its by no fault of your own.

You work in a caring environment and are there to give support/guidance/greet helping in one way or other. The teenagers have so much to learn, life will deal them some hard blows too. You go to a local church and are given grief by people who consider themselves better than you and, probably the rest of the world, these people should revisit the Gospels. I would say the same of any congregation of which ever theology. Is the paster, minister, leader of the community the same? I would hope this person would be appalled.

My feeling is you try to live your belief and are making a better job of it than many others. Trying to live ones belief is all anyone can do, we are human, self critical, and have short comings these are what need to be worked on. You have started to work on your own. Take stock of your priorities. Remember you have the will to work on your health, they are in ignorance of their shortcomings.

Think back to the people over the course of your career with whom you have had a deep connection, when all you have done is be yourself, gave them the smile and the pointer to the right direction, selflessly.

Bless you

added, turn the other cheek. don't lower yourself
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You know why?
    I'm sorry people are so mean to you.

I can't understand people who will just walk up to you at work (or in church) and say "you're fat" - that says NOTHING (you hear me!?! NOTHING) about you and EVERYTHING about what sorry jerks they are. think about it - what kind of normal person will come up to a stranger and insult them. they must be just mean, bully, low self esteem jerks who get their jollies by being mean to others. and I know how hurtful it is - we've all been on the recieving end of these remarks - but DO NOT let jerks like that have power over YOU.

If you want to lose weight - then lose weight.

If you want to exercise - then exercise.

If you want to stay fat and let jerks have power over you - then do nothing.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    People insult others to make themselves feel better, as warped as that is. Whether it is someone else's weight, religion, race, sexual orientation or nationality. Don't let yourself be that person for them and their ignorance. You can't cure stupid, but you can let yourself not be dragged into it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    hiyah dont let anyone stop you from doing what you need to do.

I remember this from school. sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. Just try you best to ignore silly people.

Hasfit.com has some great quotes have a look. Saw this one today: never let anyone take away your determination.
    http://hasfit.com/exercise-training-motivation-workout-fitness-quotes-posters/

Wishing you all the best. xxx
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No matter how you look, pushing yourself, exercising, eating right in spite of other people projecting their own insecurity onto you, will make you awesome. You will feel awesome and you will look awesome because you are awesome.

That said, judging from your picture, you're definitely not ugly.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

This has to be a joke or only part of the story, I can't believe that people have so little consideration or accountablity that they will just walk up and spew this with no one saying anything to this person. Did no one say anything that was around you, or stand up for you?

Can we just bring back duals... insult my honor, you better be able to back it up..
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That's heartbreaking. You're not ugly so don't for a second believe that you are. It's the idiots hurling abuse that are ugly to the core.
    Don't let the bullies win. Use the pain you feel, galvanise your inner strength and achieve your weight loss goal by sticking to your calorie allowance each day, no excuses! :flowerforyou:
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you have to go through this! Humans..meh.

I posted this a while ago, and just think its a great reminder for all of us to love ourselves no matter what we have done to our bodies.. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1118270-an-ode-to-thick-thighs-and-squishy-stomachs?hl=squishy#posts-17358581

You deserve to feel good about you, you deserve to feed your body in a way that reflects that you love you and take care of yourself. You are already on this journey, dont give up, there will be days that are tough, even if you mess up, get back in there and make it YOURS!

Dont let them haters get to you, use that to push you towards proving all of them wrong!

Good luck! :flowerforyou: