New here! MyFitness Pal or SparkPeople

Options
I just stopped paying for Weight Watchers and I'm in need of a new free on-line food tracking site. I have a little experience with SparkPeople, but even less on this site.

Anyone have experience on these multiple platforms and can compare/contrast advantages/disadvantages of each?

I appreciate any feedback as I make my decision.

Thank you!

-k;)

Replies

• fat2fit72014
    Options
    I've never head of SparkPeople, but MFP is a great tool in my opinion! It helps you keep on track & you can add friends for encouragement. The community is amazing!

Welcome to MFP :)
  • jewel6129
    jewel6129 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried SparkPeople really did not like it, not sure why exactly just not comfortable with it for some reason. I am doing the Simply Filling method of Weight Watchers on MFP, just rejoined MFP myself. I grabbed a deal for a 6-month pass for WW which ends in February, not paying anymore fees after that, getting going on MFP
  • iLOVEbabySARA13
    Options
    Sparkpeople is great if you need extra tools. They offer recipes, articles, workout videos, etc. Everyone is very nice one there.

MFP is simpler, more user friendly and good if you don't have as much time on your hands. Also tends to have a better food database for even quicker tracking. Most of the people on here are awesome...they tend to have more personality.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Used to pay for WW myself. After losing a bunch of weight I realized the whole point thing was not going to work long term. I needed to learn how to eat without a calculator to tell me how many points a food is.

I really like MFP. There were a couple things at first, like eating back exercise calories, that I had to come to terms with but all is good with the world now.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Anyone have experience on these multiple platforms and can compare/contrast advantages/disadvantages of each?

both free, sign up for each and give it a week and see what you think
  • jewel6129
    jewel6129 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Used to pay for WW myself. After losing a bunch of weight I realized the whole point thing was not going to work long term. I needed to learn how to eat without a calculator to tell me how many points a food is.

I really like MFP. There were a couple things at first, like eating back exercise calories, that I had to come to terms with but all is good with the world now.

Points work for awhile, that is why I switched to Simply Filling - they are supposed to put more emphasis on Simply Filling with the New Year. Long term, I do not know many people that can count points. I am trying to adjust myself over to calorie-way-of-thinking too.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sparkpeople is great if you need extra tools. They offer recipes, articles, workout videos, etc. Everyone is very nice one there.

MFP is simpler, more user friendly and good if you don't have as much time on your hands. Also tends to have a better food database for even quicker tracking. Most of the people on here are awesome...they tend to have more personality.
    I think that is to say we are crazy here ;). I tried Sparkpeople and really couldn't get going, it was just too involved. I still have an account and get daily notices of various kinds, but I really don't log in at all. I am here every day entering my food details and the like.
  • Kirby216
    Kirby216 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! I completed my first day of tracking here on MFP and found it WAY easier than sparkpeople. The database seems really vast and I like how clean/simple the tracking section is. I found the sparkpeople website too busy with colors and ads. It was distracting.

Again, thank you all!

-k;)
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! I completed my first day of tracking here on MFP and found it WAY easier than sparkpeople. The database seems really vast and I like how clean/simple the tracking section is. I found the sparkpeople website too busy with colors and ads. It was distracting.

Again, thank you all!

-k;)

Spark is good to make great friends. Sometimes the forums here get a bit judgy wudgy... In my personal opinion