Surrounded by unhealthy eaters!

Options
Lost 20 lbs after reaching 190lbs, my average weight is between 125-140 lbs...unhealthy eating, and being lazy is what got me here, but I've adapted a whole new way of eating, and exercising! I work out 5 days a week, zumba 2x a week, and strength training 3x a wk, since late September I dropped 20 lbs, 20 to go! Up until 8 weeks ago a found it quite difficult to eat healthy, when surrounded by a bunch of overweight, and unhealthy eaters who could care less about their health let alone yours, I struggled mentally for years because I thought it was the norm, but at the same hated how I looked! I never really had a food addicted or been a over eater, it was my choice of food, and lack of exercise that caused the weight gain. I'm back on track, and it really does feel great! I had to realize who I was doing this for(myself), and even without support from friends, family, etc...I'm the only one who's affected by my overall physical health, and you can't wait on anyone else, because; ultimately your life is in your hands.

Replies

• colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your situation. I understand how it feels when the people around are not concern when someone is trying to manage their weight. Well, at least your going to get the support here. :)
  • CNICOLE_BROOKLYN
    Options
    Thank you, I really appreciate the support! :)
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Ah I understand how you feel, too. My mother gives me strange looks when she sees me measuring out portions, and my stepfather loves to take food that's left in the pot or whatever and dump it on your plate instead of putting it away as leftovers so I feel like I'm fighting against them constantly. You just gotta truck through! If they don't care about their health that's fine, but they don't have the right to force it on you!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The thing with MFP is, there is no exact diet when it comes to eating. You can eat however you want and still lose weight, it is all about how many calories you consume. You know I used to eat healthy but I've fallen out of that. I do try and incorporate fruit and other healthy things in but not as much as I need. That's my fault, but it's really hard for me to eat healthy and I know it's not good. Like you, I'm surrounded by unhealthy eaters as well. The only thing that separates me from them is the fact I eat within a certain amount of calories and I lose weight, not gain. Maybe you can have a chat with your family about their unhealthy eating and how it is impacting you. It isn't easy to do MFP all the time when measuring portions and having to ask how many calories something is etc, but we are all here for support if you need it.
  • hopedangling
    Options
    You sound very powerful and ambitious!! If you think about it, in life, we are all surrounded by tempting foods and bad habits. You sound like you have a strong will, and whether its the people you're around or the dessert plate floats by...you've got what you need in your heart and in your head! You've been motivated by the results YOU created too!! Keep on going!!!! Very inspiring!!