Full of it and need advice

Options
Embarrassing topic, but I have come to the conclusion that my weight loss has "stopped" due to some constipation issues..I don't remember the last time I went..I haven't lost or gained anything..Does anyone have any suggestions to get those bowels moving?

Replies

• flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can relate... I've had similar issues most of my life and have never been able to become completely regular. Drinking lots of water and getting more fiber in my diet seems to help considerably.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Took a peek at your diary. You aren't eating enough fiber. Add a ton of veggies and drink lots of water. Eat prunes and/or prune juice. Works just like drain-o!!
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Veggies! And beans. Took a look at your diary and you're missing out on fruits, vegetables, and beans. Should help you out. Add them in slowly though and don't forget to drink a lot of water.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can buy Miralax over the counter, it might help.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If it's really been so long that you can't remember, I'd suggest a call to your doctor... Like today.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Ripe pears always work for me!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If it's really been so long that you can't remember, I'd suggest a call to your doctor... Like today.

Agree with this! Also, drink a bunch of water and maybe some tea. Fruits and veggies will also help!
  • doctorandrew
    Options
    Lot's more fiber.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    If it's been a significant amount of time, call your Dr, and see if there's something more serious going on. Otherwise, increase your fiber intake. From my understanding, minimum intake is 24-28g of fiber daily (Solluble and unsolluble, make sure you get enough unsolluble as this fiber is what "moves things along"). The more overall calories you eat a day, especially protein, the more fiber you should eat a day.

Try to stick to natural fibers, but if you find you can't reach your limit, there's nothing with a little benefiber/metamucal etc. Remember, it takes a few days for this stuff to work though.
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with this issue my whole life. Water water water water...it is SO important (for many reasons), staying hydrated is key for regularity. Also, increase fiber with beans, fruits, and veggies like others have said and maybe even consider using a supplement like Benefiber in your water a few times a day.

Probiotics have also helped me a lot in the past. Getting "good" bacteria back into your digestive track is helpful.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Probiotics have also helped me a lot in the past. Getting "good" bacteria back into your digestive track is helpful.

Probiotics can definitely help a lot in this. However, many marketed probiotics are going to be questionable at best. I would recommend trying to get as many natural sources as you can, cottage cheese, yogurt etc. A lot of marketed probiotics will say there's millions of billions of active cells (at the time of production). This does not account for the life of the cell which often times goes into a "dormant" state becoming inactive, thus, becoming mostly unusable. **Citation Below**

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1065127/
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Movement = movement, according to my dog's vet, lol. And in my human experience, running gets things moving. I imagine any kind of vigorous cardio will have similar effect.