20 Minutes hard or 40 minutes Moderate

Options
Cardio question:

is a longer period of 40 minutes moderate cardio better
or short 20 minutes intense

which yields better results for weight or fat loss ?

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I believe 20 minutes intense is slightly better... the takeaway is the same or better results in less time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The one that burns more calories, but..........

fat loss comes from a caloric deficit (ie what you eat) exercise my help with that deficit but should be thought of in the context of health and fitness. Exercise presents a bit of a paradox in terms of weight loss.........you need to eat more to fuel the workouts which negates (at least in part) the additional caloric expenditure.
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yep I want to know too - before I hit the gym tomorrow and waste my time doing the wrong thing! It's a great question I think...
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The one that burns more calories, but..........

fat loss comes from a caloric deficit (ie what you eat) exercise my help with that deficit but should be thought of in the context of health and fitness. Exercise presents a bit of a paradox in terms of weight loss.........you need to eat more to fuel the workouts which negates (at least in part) the additional caloric expenditure.

Someone once told me though that fast workouts burn carbohydrates whereas slower training burns fat. Any truth in this? Sorry OP, hope I'm not butting in..
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've always find that doing steady slow/moderate cardio over longer period of time works for me better, for fat loss, than doing short and intense interval training or intense cardio for shorter period of time. Even if both burns same amount of cals.

Many people tell it's opposite for them or that it doesn't matter as far as they burn cals. So I think that it can differ individually how your body will react to this. Try and experiment a little what works for you. For me personally it's moderate for longer period type of cardio. I just notice fat goes away little faster.
  • Nomi923
    Nomi923 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to go 40 min moderate. This is strictly from personal experience.

A lot of times I've seen and even experienced that people tend to go hard for a short period of time, think they've done a lot because , well they've been sweating a lot, give up, and go home. I would advise the longer workout as, not only will you get a calorie burn that you want, but it will help you gain stamina of not only running but being at the gym and working out.

So, I don't think you should kill yourself for 20 minutes, take it at a moderate for 40 and I think you'll see more of a gain both physically and psychologically.

Anyways that;s just my thinking!
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Do both. Variety is key when planing out your fitness strategy. Why does it have to be one or the other?
  • ksteinbeiser1
    ksteinbeiser1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do both. Variety is key when planing out your fitness strategy. Why does it have to be one or the other?

i agree with this ^^ if your body gets used to one way of working out it will start to store the nec. foods to held fuel u for ur workouts... mixing it up challenges ur body!!!
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    From training with army PT's, anything over 40mins gets to burn fat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me though that fast workouts burn carbohydrates whereas slower training burns fat. Any truth in this? Sorry OP, hope I'm not butting in..
    Very little truth - the so called fat burning zone is sooooo last century!
    In reality your body is burning both glycogen (a form of glucose) and fat at all exercise intensities - at lower intensity your will burn a higher proportion of fat, the higher the intensity the smaller the proportion of fat is burned at the time of exercise.

The reason I highlighted proportion is that it's the overall calorie burn that makes the difference.

Really you should be training at the intensity that suits your fitness goals and the time available to exercise. I do both on different days.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Cardio question:

is a longer period of 40 minutes moderate cardio better
    or short 20 minutes intense

which yields better results for weight or fat loss ?

That's pretty much impossible to answer without knowing exactly what you mean by "moderate" or "high", your current level of conditioning, how quickly you can recover from the workouts, what the workouts do to your appetite, what your diet is like etc...

Do the one you can incorporate consistently into your routine or if you can do both then do that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Both, when used properly in a well-designed program.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Doing long steady state cardio is an excellent way to build a larger deficit.

What you really need to remember is that diet is the key to weight loss- fitness is a bonus- but it's not the foundation.
  • SupermanRitz
    Options
    "Do both. Variety is key when planing out your fitness strategy. Why does it have to be one or the other?"

This. Also, if you're doing HIIT for your hard 20 minutes it is far superior to 40 minutes of moderate rate cardio. A lot of people fail to realize the aspect of EPOC. With HIIT and going hard for 20 minutes your metabolism will stay elevated for several hours after you're done so you're constantly burning calories at an elevated rate
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I saw this posted on this site awhile back and find it to be very true.

To lose weight, you need to diet.
    To look good in your clothes, you do cardio
    To look good naked, you strength train

:)
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I try to do both mixing up the workouts randomly depending on time available and how I feel, or just do 30 minutes inserting 5 x 2 minute high intensity sections or sprints.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    20 mins hard.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    They yield different results. Ultimately though, fat loss will come through a caloric deficit. Assuming all of your diet is in check...

40min moderate workout will burn through carbs/fat immediately. EPOC gained will be minimal.
    20min HIIT will not burn through any significant amount of carbs/fat but will boost your EPOC significantly allowing for a more sustained fat loss.

I would suggest 3 20min HIIT sessions a week and as many 40min sessions as you like. Just ensure you are maintaining proper caloric intake through this.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    I saw this posted on this site awhile back and find it to be very true.

To lose weight, you need to diet.
    To look good in your clothes, you do cardio
    To look good naked, you strength train

:)

That is awesome!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Don't "major in the minors."

Eat a little less.
    Move a little more.
    Succeed.