Scales question

Options
So I've just moved house this weekend and the scales have been packed away for about 2 weeks. It struck me while unpacking that the bathroom in my new house is carpeted, whereas the bathroom in my old flat was laminate flooring. Will this make a difference on the scale?

I have electronic scales which have mobile feet, so I think the reading depends on how much the feet move, which might be different on carpet than on wood.

There are wood floors downstairs in the house, but I weigh first thing in the morning, post-business and completely nekked, it's a bit chilly for that downstairs at the moment!

Replies

• tihi18
    tihi18 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes it will make a difference. In my experience carpeting always throws those little bathroom scales off.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Carpeting throws my scales off by 15-30#, depending on the type of carpet.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    From my experience, yes.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    never use scales on carpet.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    15-30 lbs?! wow. I guess it'll be a quick weigh in with all my curtains closed then :blushing:

Thanks!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes. You will probably need to find something to put the scale on to make sure it's stable. Maybe a large tile or something like that?
  • LSeales
    LSeales Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you could find something to put under it to keep it from sinking down into the carpet maybe you could try that. The tiles on my bathroom floor are just perfect for my scale. Perhaps you could buy just one? And of course I would compare the results to the downstairs floor.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If you could find something to put under it to keep it from sinking down into the carpet maybe you could try that. The tiles on my bathroom floor are just perfect for my scale. Perhaps you could buy just one? And of course I would compare the results to the downstairs floor.

Solid idea.

I can't imagine using a scale on carpet, although I haven't tried it to speak of its accuracy.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    remove the carpet altogether. carpet in a bathroom???
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It makes a difference for sure ... I take the scale to the hard wood floor in the kitchen

50540473.png
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    My old apartment had carpet all throughout it. In the kitchen AND in the bathroom. Gross. My coffee table is two layers with removable glass panels. I would put the scale on the bottom layer and remove a glass panel, step through the top of the top layer and stand on the scale that way.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    remove the carpet altogether. carpet in a bathroom???

This and Leave it packed away...you don't need it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Get rid of that carpet. Seriously. We used to rent a house in the Summer that had carpet in the bathroom and it was the worst thing ever.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't really remove the carpet as we're renting the house. The landlord didn't even want us taking the horrible "art" off the walls.

A tile is a great idea! At least then I won't have to run downstairs in the cold ;)