Anyone out there "run" a 16 min. mile...LOL

Options
My neighborhood is very hilly, and I have only been running...geriatric shuffling for about 7 weeks, and I just made 16:16 pace for my 2.4 mile run. I don't know how to log this in MFP, because I know the calories aren't right. The slowest pace they list is a 12 min. mile and I am a long way off from that. I leave the numbers the same though, because I know I am working because of those hills. I just keep going because I know it will eventually get me somewhere healthy, and just a few days ago added strength training.

Replies

• alex_morley
    Options
    Hi,

If it helps, I averaged around 15 minute miles during a hilly ultra-run on Saturday and this reckoned I burned 5,200 calories in 10.5 hours, therefore meaning about 495 calories per hour - or in your case, approximately 313 calories per run.

That's a VERY rough estimate but hopefully it helps a little?

Al
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? If so, you could use an app like Runkeeper to track your run - it will track distance, pace and estimate calories burned for you. Not as accurate as a heart rate monitor, but helps a little. I use both the app & my HRM and often the Runkeeper burn is pretty close to my HRM.
  • mrsvanderpool
    mrsvanderpool Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too, a 16 min mile is about 4mph which is still listed under walking :( hope that helps! :)
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help. I don't have a smart phone-but I can take my pulse. I am shooting for increasing my distance, and not worrying so much about the times yet.
  • gretchenwb
    Options
    Mrsvanderpool- so that really is a geriatric shuffle for me!! I can just log under walking-thank you!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd probably log it as walking uphill. Or log 1/2 as 12 mph jogging and the other 1/2 as walking. something like that. Since its hilly you're working harder even at that pace than someone running a 10 minute mile on flat ground.

Another option would be to get a heart rate monitor. That will give you your actual calorie burn and you can just plug that in to MFP.
  • gretchenwb
    Options
    I agree with your ticker mrsvanderpool!!!!
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can do a 16 minute mile on the treadmill, which feels rubbish! I don't run outside due to my peripheral vision not being good and having lots of roads to cross around my home, it probably wouldn't be a great idea!
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    Good for you for running, no matter what pace!

I alternate walking and running on my treadmill and burn about 100/130 cal per mile... I have a HRM (I love my Polar and strongly recommend) This takes the guesswork out of how many calories to enter into MFP... some days my treadmill tells me I burned more and other days my HRM is in the lead. Interestingly enough, if I am bored and watching the time too much, I seem to burn less than if I am daydreaming about something fun like riding my horse or dancing at a club... must raise my heart rate even higher.
    I never reach the suggested calories burned by MFP per time/exercise so if I didn't rely on my HRM then I probably wouldn't be losing.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to do with this tread other than THANK YOU for helping me figure out at what freaking MPH a 16 min/mi is! Whew that was racking my brain!

I want to do a half marathon and they say if you run below a 16 min/mi you will be picked up and taken back to the waiting station... place.. and I was so worried I wasnt running fast enough bc that sounds pretty fast! But no.. I am good :) I run at 5 lol

♥ ^ To you all!
  • pafagel
    pafagel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I too run very slowly, I use http://mydr.com.au/tools/calories-burned-calculator to calculate what I burn, activity "Running, jog/walk combination". Hope you find it useful.
  • HIATFRachel
    HIATFRachel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for this site!!!