Sugar (from fruits)?

Options
Hey, guys!

It's been a while since I've been a part of the MFP community. I was looking at my nutrition tracker for the day and I noticed that I'm over (according to my tracker) on 'sugar', but it's due to eating an apple for lunch and some small oranges for breakfast. Nothing else.

How does everyone feel about sugar as it relates to fruit? Go for it?

Thanks and have a good day.

Sam

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar in fruit. I changed my settings so I'm tracking the stuff that's important to me, including fiber, carbs, fats, and iron.
  • skcanna1
    Options
    I changed my setting! (I didn't know that was an option, truthfully.) Thanks for the input!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Sugar becomes a problem when it is isolated from the rest of the plant, and eaten in concentrated doses that are not found in nature. The fruit in sugar is not a problem at all; eat all the fruit you want.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Sugar becomes a problem when it is isolated from the rest of the plant, and eaten in concentrated doses that are not found in nature. The fruit in sugar is not a problem at all; eat all the fruit you want.

Beautifully said!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Beautifully said!

Ditto.
  • Suzanne92659
    Suzanne92659 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This was just the information I was looking for.....It seems I am always going over with sugar....but it is from fruits and other whole foods...I didn't know whether to worry or not...
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I too had the same question as I love fruit but sometime feel guilty with the carbs & sugar. I also love OJ but try to limit to a serving.
  • SupermanRitz
    Options
    I avoid sugar from fruits unless it's timed properly in my day (post-training). Sugar is sugar. Your body (stomach, intestines) don't differentiate where it came from, they're made to absorb what's there. Fruit usually has fructose over glucose, so you're only avoiding the first 3 steps in glycolysis, after that it's equivalent to eating straight glucose.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    fructose is healthier than glucose

as

Diet coke is healthier than regular coke..

but fruit is important in our diets, just don't over do it! *Multi-vitamins*
  • D8vidFitness
    Options

and no..don't eat all the fruits you want..follow your dietary needs, nothing more, nothing less
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is treated in the body the exact same as any other sugar, it just comes packaged with nice things like antioxidants and fiber. But it is sugar.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My own personal experience is that I have to reduce or eliminate fruit when I'm really trying to burn body fat. I recently found this article and I find it holds true for me. You may have a different response to fruit. I do eat about two servings of fruit on some days but it's usually around my workouts. Best wishes to you in figuring out what works best for your body.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johnmanuel-andriote/the-fat-switch_b_3164800.html
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I go over on my sugar also, but it comes from fresh fruit.
    Diabetes runs in my family, so I get tested every year. My fasting glucose has always been within normal range, but weight loss has made a huge difference. Regardless of how much sugar I've consumed or where it comes from, losing weight has dropped my fasting glucose reading by 20 points, from the 90s to the 70s.

That said, I did not measure my sugar intake before I got onto MFP, but I know a lot of it came from ice cream and candy. A quick check of the nutrition facts for Ben & Jerry's shows that on average I consumed more sugar from ice cream alone back then, than I consume eating fruit now.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The difference between 'simple' and 'complex' carbs is arbitrary and doesn't really mean much.
    It's like speed limits - doing the speed limits and they say you're 'safe', 1mph over and you're an evil kitten-killing monster (or at least that's how they present it in the UK.)

Are you reasonably fit and healthy?
    If so, it probably doesn't make much difference:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have never found tracking sugar necessary to lose weight.

MFP's sugar limit is set to the general recommendations for added sugar.
  • I honestly don't even pay attention to the sugar part, since I barely eat sweets and sugars in fruits are very beneficial for your health. The only thing I really look out for is my sodium levels.