Calories burned going up AND down the stairs

Options
Does anyone know? I'm not talking about a stair climber...but just walking up and down the stairs at home. I can't get to the gym today and still wanted to do something while home. How many calories do you think that would burn for say 15 min?

Replies

• anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    There is a measurement in the exercise section. "Running/Jogging up the stairs" or something similar to that. You could use that and as an exercise.
  • Crystal_204
    Crystal_204 Posts: 10
    Options
    I do this at work and I looked online it said 10 min would be about 95 cal so that's what I go by : )
  • bobbie228
    bobbie228 Posts: 53
    Options
    There is a measurement in the exercise section. "Running/Jogging up the stairs" or something similar to that. You could use that and as an exercise.

What she said!
  • peanut929
    peanut929 Posts: 31
    Options
    Depends on your weight. But for a 150 pound person you would likely burn around 100 calories- 115 calories for 15 minutes. I based this off of a low impact aerobic work out/ fast walking.

Good job getting something in since you won't have time to hit the gym!
    Karen
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the exact same thing! I always feel bad if I don't log some form of exercise for the day...but I have a staircase where I work and I must go up and down that thing at least 10 times a day! I do work at a desk, but trust me, I give that staircase a workout some days! Thanks for asking this, now I know it does count and I don't have to feel so bad!
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ok, guys....I just found this link. http://stairway.hc-sc.gc.ca/calcalc.aro

You can enter your weight and time and it will calculate calories burned for going up and down the stairs!! I plan on breaking mine up in increments of 10 min/3x today. Can't do 30 min all at once!:)

Hope this helps!
  • All_is_well_1959
    Options

You can enter your weight and time and it will calculate calories burned for going up and down the stairs!! I plan on breaking mine up in increments of 10 min/3x today. Can't do 30 min all at once!:)

Hope this helps!

:drinker:
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    OMG are you also adding time for "falling and hurting" and then "ambulance ride and cast-wearing?" I'd KILL myself if I tried that! I hope your stairs are carpeted!!!

In all seriousness though, it's a great idea for a workout at home, inside, with no special gear/equipment (especially when the weather is crummy, like it is for my area today).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the calorie burn but stairs are great exercise. A few years ago a friend of mine worked in an 8 or 9 storey office building and kick started his fitness program by taking the stairs instead of the elevator (the office was on the top floor).

At first it practically killed him (just walking) but within 3 or 4 months he was running all the way to the top.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Use a HRM to track your calories burned or there are many websites that you can use to calculate your burned calories
  • KelBgess
    KelBgess Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Livestrong said up & down stairs for a 160 lb person would burn 102 calories in 10 mins.
  • manifesto11
    manifesto11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website. I was wondering the same thing.
  • Unbruisedpeach
    Unbruisedpeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • richardstarrett
    Options

Hope this helps!

:drinker:
  • smokeytex74
    Options
    I know this is an older forum, but I found this link today when I was looking for a tool to calculate how many calories I burn for my weight when I walk the stairs at work. Just plug in your weight and how long you climb for.. I hope it helps someone .. http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/stair_stepping/result?weightPounds=250.000&duration=15&activity=&met=9.0&submit=
  • notnormallyacaloriecounter
    Options
    Hey, thanks, Smokey, I just googled this and it brought me to this page. None of the other links were working for me. :smile:
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Use a HRM to track your calories burned or there are many websites that you can use to calculate your burned calories

Agreed, I have a simple timex HRM and its awesome-has my weight and age and with my heart rate recorded its pretty accurate. Using HRM tells me I burn much more than what computer tells me and probably for you all as well too! I sometimes wonder if I am just out of shape at the speed/effort Im going in my workout or if I'm just using THAT much effort… :heart:
  • dljones8410
    Options
    I found out by walking up and down the stairs you can burn 102 pound in 10 minutes if you weight 160 lbs. If you run up and down the stairs you can burn 190 calories. It goes by weight so if you weight more the burning of calories are more.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    On your page, go to exercise, then go to add exercise under cardiovascular, in the search engine type in “walking upstairs”. Then in the matching exercise box, click on the exercise, that will open a box to the right side, type in your time and then add. Good to go.
    I hope that helps.
    V/r,
    DW.