Cold Weather Running

Options

Replies

• Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just did 21.1K in -2C (-10C with the windchill).

I wear La Sportiva Wildcat GTXs which are Goretex lined and have lugs on the bottom. They keep my feet toasty.

The rest of the outfit includes fleece lined tights, two long-sleeved tech shirts and a windproof running jacket. Nike running gloves under a good set of winter gloves, a balavclava, running toque and Oakleys completes the kit. Hardly any skin exposed.

I'm sure I'll be good in anything up to -30C.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    My cutoff is under 10* and/or ice.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I live in California, in the Central Valley, so there is no too cold.
    But, I have lived in Minnesota, Chicago, and Rochester, NY. I don't remember it ever being too cold to run; but I would guess I never went out when it was below 0 degrees F. Yes, the physical exertion keeps your limbs and trunk warm. But I think your ears and nose would get too froze.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    -20 C (~ -5F) is about when I'll stop. Generally because if it gets that cold, the wind is pretty bad here in Toronto.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Call me weak, but I stopped at 30 degrees. I generally have a rule that if I'm honestly not enjoying an activity (not just being challenged, but truly not enjoying it), then I don't have to do it. Also I find it easier to motivate myself to get to the gym than it is to get outdoors when I can barely breathe due to the cold air. I'm using this time to work on strength training, swimming, and general cross-training. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I just didn't give my lungs long enough to adjust. Maybe running in the dark isn't as creepy as I'm making it. But don't feel like you MUST keep running outdoors if you don't want to; if you have another option that you enjoy, maybe switch it up a bit.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I really don't have a stop temperature although I hate the wind and its wind chill changes. I was out today at 9 deg F.

Any colder and I will need to wear something more than shorts to cover my legs.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    With the right layers, I can go out as low as ~5F if there's very little wind. Started one today at 19F but pretty solid 30-35mph winds made it feel much more like 1F. Layers help.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I ran everyday last winter the coldest was -30C I have no idea what that is in F but it is cold. I layer up and put Hot Paws in my mitts and a neck sleeve to pull up on my face and go. I love winter running, use Ice a Grippers for slippery roads and go out.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    20 Fahrenheit. I prefer 30's but down to 20 is ok as long as the wind isn't too bad.
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Right now in CT, I won't go any colder than like 30F. As the season goes on, I'll go outside in layers in the teens and 20's as long as there is no wind. I can't do wind when I run during the cold winter.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit my "too cold to run" temp yet ... it very very seldomly gets below 20 here in the Pacific NW. The coldest temps I've ever run in were last Christmas in Colorado: 15 degrees. I was bundled up so that was okay.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    <---- in my profile picture it was probably -20°C (not sure what that is in °F), this past Sunday it was about -25°C with the windchill.

I run outside all winter, with the right clothes it's never too cold but.......freezing rain will keep me off the streets. I'm crazy, not stupid! :laugh:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It hasn't come up for me to run below 15F so far. But I'm fine with 15 and will try lower if the opportunity presents itself. I have asthma too, but for some reason cold weather running doesn't bother me as long as my lungsr are warm. I did low 20s with lots of wind yesterday and it was fine.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think I once ran when it was -5* F, and I said I told myself I'm not doing that again. So I guess that's my limit.

I ran a 10 Mile Trail Race called the Wyco Psycho two years ago. Actual temp was 5* F at start time, wind chill was well below -20* F. Once you get going you forgot how cold it was. Until you came to an aid station and the cups of water were frozen. Very weird day.
    I'm doing that race again this Feburary, which means when the opportunity to run in nasty weather presents itself, I go, because race day could be like that.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran outside yesterday at -21C. Not sure what that converts to.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership nor do I own a treadmill so I don't have other options. As long as I have something covering my face (I have a balaclava from Saucony that I love) I'm usually okay. The only time I don't run is if I think perhaps the roads won't be plowed in time for my morning run. My suburb doesn't have sidewalks so if I see snow coming I'll switch my days or workout at night once things have been plowed. I'm super clumsy on normal pavement; I don't need anything contributing to me falling over.

Last winter in Chicago it didn't snow a lot so I didn't really have to worry about it too much. I fear this winter will be different.
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Gotta admire all the dedication in here! I dont think I could handle cold-weather running... spoiled with CA weather, I suppose. I run in shorts even in winter, lol
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    -25C but I keep the run to about 40 min
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    With me it all depends on wind...if the wind is making it - degrees I'm in the gym...
  • ncgovernor
    ncgovernor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in NC, and just started running a month ago. We're having unusual lows and I've gone out at 25F. I think that's as low as I can go. But, I love it because I know everyone who drives past me and sees me out there is going, "Wow, she's bada$$." And that makes me feel awesome.