Day one - Goal = OMG Gone

Options
That's right. OMG = Old man gut. 43 and I have Homer Simpsons profile (side view in mirror).

I work out 6 days a week doing intense burst training 3 days and Peak 8 3 days. I'm 43, 6'0 and 190 lbs and I'm a sugar addict.

I've had it with the gut. I should be ripped with the amount and intensity that I work out. Anyhow I'm on day 1 of 30 day juice or smoothie fast, diet, aggressive weight loss plan, or whatever you want to call it.

I got a 900w nutribullet yesterday. I've been doing blended smoothies forever, and my diet is great, until 8pm (TV time with wife).
Then I'll sit and chow down 8 chocolate chip coookies or whatever other junk there is.

Anyhow I've had it. I feel like crap all the time and I've had it.

My question is, protein added to smoothies or no? I'm talking protein powder or nuts? Yes, no? I want to eventually convert over to full time paleo. I'm not really a bread or pasta guy. The *kitten* makes me fall asleep. My main problem is processed sugary junk.

I'm just thinking if I can go 30 days on the smoothies, I can re-arrange my brain and get over the carb cravings and stop being starving all the time.

So should I go just fruits / veggies for 30 days or incorporate protein as well? What do you think? By the way, I was 170 or so in that picture from about 5 years ago. Still look like that but more defined up top from weights and more defined in the gut area (20 lbs of FAT) from doughnuts and cake and cookies.

Thanks

Replies

• LadyCopper28
    Options
    Perhaps research diastasis recti? That might be more what is happening, since it does sound like you are pretty fit.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    How much protein do you get daily? I aim for 25% minimum when it comes to my macros - about 125 g over the course of the day.
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I dono im a sugar addict too, and chip cookies are forbidden in my home!!!!

I was told am boarderline diabetic type 2, and one annoying symptom ive had for years is sleepiness after eating especially a big meal.. Im just now learning to help my body learn to get use to digesting bread, because the sugar crashes have gotten worse as ive aged.

I hope you can maintain a healthy sugar level while you try this new diet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes to protein. You don't want to lose the muscle you have worked so hard to gain and muscles need protein.

Personally, I'd say no to the rest of it. Smoothies only and Paleo, but if you think that will work for you then give it a shot.
  • kfarrell70
    Options
    Normally a good amount of protein

3 eggs am. Yogurt a couple hours later.
    Blender of greens and stuff. 3 cups
    Handful of raw nuts a couple hours later.
    Lunch, usually some form of meat

Afternoon, apple and nuts
    Another blender of greens.
    Dinner, some sort of meat. Meat loaf

After dinner
    Virgils root beer and TV time lots of cookies.

I don't have any disorder other than being addicted to sugar / junk. That's the issue.

My goal is to get off sugar and carbs and lose 20 lbs in the process.
  • kfarrell70
    Options
    This is what I want to become. This guy is just like me. This is my inspiration.

http://www.naturalnews.com/043006_addiction_juicing_raw_food_diet.html

I'm not an opiate addict now, but have dabbled in pills in the past. Never went to a rehab, got off them myself under the simple premise that the buzz is not worth the price. However I do get junk hangovers. Anxiety from sugar and carbs.

Just added another pic to my profile. Don't mind the funny faces. It's just a joke I like to do when taking pictures of my body. But you can't really see the gut in the pictures.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Well, goodness, I just don't see the OMG!!!
  • jillianash
    jillianash Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I don't think you will be able to get over your sugar cravings by going on a all sugar smoothie 30 day binge. First of all that sounds seriously unhealthy.

Secondly, there is sugar is all the fruit you're putting in your smoothies so how are you to reduce your sugar cravings when you are feeding your self sugar? Ever heard of the Sugar cycle? Eating sugar makes you crave it.

The rest of your day sounds seriously healthy!! Lots of protein and healthy foods! Props to you!

I would say please dont go on a 30 Day smoothie diet. it will probably backfire on you.

Maybe try working out instead of watching TV then you wont want to eat cookies and junk. or if you're craving sweets try eating fruit. Or maybe a fruit smoothie instead of junk food.
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I am also a sugar addict. get a bag of cookies...all gone in one sitting. Same is true with any processed food with sugar in it. I did a 2 day binge Thurs and Friday last week (on purpose)...started no sugar regimen (I'm not calling it a diet) on Saturday). Will let you know how it's going
  • kfarrell70
    Options
    Here's my take on sugar below. I dare anybody to tell me I'm wrong. As for the gut, look to the left.

Sugar becomes a problem when it is isolated from the rest of the plant, and eaten in concentrated doses that are not found in nature. The fruit in sugar is not a problem at all; eat all the fruit you want.
  • kfarrell70
    Options
    Hmmm. I don't think you will be able to get over your sugar cravings by going on a all sugar smoothie 30 day binge. First of all that sounds seriously unhealthy.

Secondly, there is sugar is all the fruit you're putting in your smoothies so how are you to reduce your sugar cravings when you are feeding your self sugar? Ever heard of the Sugar cycle? Eating sugar makes you crave it.

The rest of your day sounds seriously healthy!! Lots of protein and healthy foods! Props to you!

I would say please dont go on a 30 Day smoothie diet. it will probably backfire on you.

Maybe try working out instead of watching TV then you wont want to eat cookies and junk. or if you're craving sweets try eating fruit. Or maybe a fruit smoothie instead of junk food.

All sugar smoothie? Huh? I'm doing Kale, ginger, carrot, celery and an apple in the smoothies.
  • spappas1989
    spappas1989 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use my Nutribullet daily, I found unflavored protein powder at GNC, my hubby and I use it daily. For some reason the flavored powders give me major headaches but the unflavored doesn't, not sure why but it doesn't.
  • latewinter
    Options
    Instead of binging on biscuits and sugar why dont you replace them with a bowl of carrot sticks or some of your favorite vegetables?
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The difference between a sugary chocolate chip cookie snack and a sugary piece of fruit is:
    (1) the sugar in the cookie is processed
    (2) the fruit also includes fiber, which expands in the stomach, making you feel fuller longer

So...the carbohydrates in the cookie will make you want more cookies. PLUS, if any of that sugar is high fructose corn syrup, your body won't recognize those calories at all. (At least, thats what the studies indicate...)

The apple or the orange or the banana or the grapes will satisfy you and your craving for something sweet without making you want to go back for more. (This, at least, has been my experience. :smile ) And they provide additional nutrition and antioxidents.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't see an old man gut. You're at a healthy weight for your height already. I would stop focusing on losing weight and instead, focus more on body composition through your strength training.

I hope this doesn't turn into a sugar-is-the-devil thread.
  • kfarrell70
    Options
    Instead of binging on biscuits and sugar why dont you replace them with a bowl of carrot sticks or some of your favorite vegetables?

Favorite veggies? LOL. I hate vegetables. I eat them because they are good for you. I mean I do loved grilled zucchini, summer squash, onions, peppers and tomatoes on the grille though. Lemon, butter, garlic.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You should definitely Open your food diary before requesting advice. While you say you are eating protein, sugar and carbs. I don't hear anything about fruits and veggies which balance out the other food you eat. Also how much water are you getting? Are you not getting sufficient protein in your regular diet. Or are you looking to bulk up by adding protein powder? If you just want to lose the belly cut the junk food and don't add anything.

You posted just above while I was writing this. But it still sounds like you need to eat more fruits and veggies.
  • kfarrell70
    Options
    You should definitely Open your food diary before requesting advice. While you say you are eating protein, sugar and carbs. I don't hear anything about fruits and veggies which balance out the other food you eat. Also how much water are you getting? Are you not getting sufficient protein in your regular diet. Or are you looking to bulk up by adding protein powder? If you just want to lose the belly cut the junk food and don't add anything.

You posted just above while I was writing this. But it still sounds like you need to eat more fruits and veggies.

I posted previously, my daily usual diet, which is great, except for the root beer and endless cookies at night.

What I am looking to do is.
    1. Lose my constant anxiety, which is due to sugar. Funny thing is, sugar, for me, causes the same symptoms as when I was doing a lot of opiate type pills. This is because sugar targets the same receptors in the brain as opiates. For me, who is a sugar junkie, it's poison.
    2. Lose my old man gut. Build my chest out and have the abs which are hidden under 20 lbs of fat show through. My body is getting uncomfortable as my gut hangs over my pants = what I call "BELT HANGER"
    3. Get off the sugar. I can't have it, period. I've done this before. Gone 4 days or so with raw food and got off the sugar. It brainwashes you. It's evil, for me. I'm not saying sugar is evil for all, but for me, it's frign poison.
    4. To stop feeling like rubbish despite the fact that I work out more in 1 week than most people do in a year.

Now, my primary question is about protein. While I'm doing this 30 day smoothie thing, if I should add protein in. I am concerned that depression might set in, as the amino acids in protein are the building blocks for serotonin. This is something that I read about.

I tend to be an all out sort of person. I want to challenge myself as well. I have little will power. If I can go 30 days on blended smoothies, I know I'll feel like a new person. I'm poisoned right now from all the junk I've been consuming.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I don't see an old man gut. You're at a healthy weight for your height already. I would stop focusing on losing weight and instead, focus more on body composition through your strength training.

I hope this doesn't turn into a sugar-is-the-devil thread.
    Heartily agree with first point. As for the second point, it's probably too late. popcorn2.gif Oh well, I was getting bored with all the Oh Noz Thanksgiving is Coming threads.
  • kfarrell70
    Options
    Well I'll be watching everyone pass out after Thanksgiving and I'll be all full of energy :)

You ladies can't see the gut in my profile picture?