Hypothyrodism and its effects

Options
Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I have put on more than 12 kg in 2 years. I have been prescribed medicines but I will be taking them starting day after.
I would like to know the side effects of the medicine - the doctor said I will loose weight. Will it be permanent weight loss? are there any other side effects? can I continue my diet & exercise - I currently try to eat around 1200 - 1300 calories net, and walk about 5 km ( 9min/km) 5 days a week.
should I increase my exercise because of the thyroid medicine? Should I eat more/ less? pls advice.

Replies

• gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think these are questions you should ask your doctor.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The thyroid replacement hormones will just bring your hormones to a normal level. If you want to lose weight you'll still have to count calories to ensure a caloric deficit.

Source: I am on thyroid medication myself for over 2 years.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think these are questions you should ask your doctor.

Absolutely this ^^
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I agree you should ask your Dr. I am also Hypothyroid. I can lose weight it is slower and harder. I did not automatically lose weight.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Second the suggestion to ask your doctor. There's a balance to treating hypothyroidism, and it's totally individual. It also takes time, as in several months to years to get to a good balance. Definitely be open with your doctor or other healthcare professional and talk to them to get an idea of what will work for you.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey-

These are questions for your doctor, but I can tell you about my experience. I started Synthroid about a month ago. I go in for blood tests every 6 weeks to check my TSH, t3, t4, thyroglobulin, etc. levels. This is important because Synthroid only replaces one of the hormones. If you are one of the lucky people who can convert Synthroid into other hormones, you'll improve. If you aren't, you will feel a little better, but still have major hypothyroid symptoms.

I put on about 40 lb (~18 kg) out of nowhere over the course of 6-12 months. I've had symptoms for at least 15 years, though. I lost weight before going on thyroid meds. They won't make you lose weight, but they will make it easier than it is for you right now (basically, what happens, is your thyroid regulates your whole system. When your thyroid hormone levels are low, you aren't doing a whole lot, metabolically-speaking, in your cells, as you would be if you had normal levels, so your basal metabolic rate is lowered. For example, mine is about 300 cal lower, from what I can tell from my food logs and weight, than it would be if my levels were right).

Side effects, not really, unless you get upped to too high of a dose, at which point you'll be hyperthyroid (racing heart, hyperactive, racing thoughts, etc.). I have continued my diet and exercise routines, though I work with a dietitian now to help out with other health issues I also have. I lift weights, hike and bike long distances, and so on (I'd been told my whole life nothing was wrong with me, so I figured everyone is super tired and has pain in weird, moving places all the time, so I just kept at it o_O). YMMV, of course. Might be best to talk it over with your doctor. Keep careful track of how you feel. If you're still sluggish, foggy, fatigued, etc. after you've been on meds for a while, let your doctor know.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Facts (as I know them after 7 years on hypothyroid drugs)

1) hypothyroidism doesn't cause weight loss or gain. It promotes a tendency to gain or lose weight because of it's effects on your metabolism and fatigue. If your medication is right, and you eat and train right for you, you can lose weight. This is often seen as 'I have hypo so I can't lose weight' but in reality that's not necessarily true, if all the elements for you to be healthy are in place. This also means that...

2)... the medication is not a magic fix. You'll still need to count cals and do a bot of exercise like anyone else

3) once your meds are stable, kelp and coconut, among other things, can help support thyroid function, but check with your doc before taking them

4) being healthy with hypo is about being in tune with what works for your body and mind. Hypo can cause you to become disheartened ore easily if you're not seeing results and blame them on the thyroid issue. The thyroid issue is part of who you are. You are a normal person, it's just one part of you needs help to function. Don't fall into the trap of 'oh because I'm this way I can't / have to.....'

Coming from someone with a crappy thyroid who has lost 28kg this year, and who (according to her doctor) needs to 'present seminars on this as too many use it as an excuse not to try'....me!

Disclaimer: some people with thyroid disorders DO struggle. But in my experience it's more of a struggle with lethargy, depression or decreased immunity as a result of incorrectly medicated thyroid disease. It does happen, there are some people who just aren't *there* yet and often my advice to those people is to talk with their doctor about raising their med levels. i did, and never looked back.