school + part time job + dog

FrenchCanuck
FrenchCanuck Posts: 60 Member
Any fellow members out there living on their lonesome that goes to school full time, works a part time job and is the owner of a dog? Is it manageable (time constraints) or do you regret having a dog? How does your dog deal with being alone often while at school or working?

thanks!

Replies

• I'm a full-time university student who teachers at a language school and has two large dogs. Plus I ride horses 2 times a week, run about 3 times a week and go for long hikes at weekends. It can be done. Just do your exercise routine outdoors and take your dog with you. If you're into running/hiking/walking at all, a dog is the best companion imaginable. They're fun to watch, so that you have something besides your exhaustion to think about, and they motivate you to keep up with their antics. A dog is the best decision one can make if one's looking to becoming more active.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Oh dogs are one of the best things in life, in my opinion.One of my very favorite types of exercise is to hike with my Golden Retriever. Even in the winter, there are great trails that allow dogs and it is such fun to see them in there basic happy element. There are some trails I would never consider being on by myself, but with my buddy with me, I feel safe. I recently read that cold weather work outs target "brown" fat cells, so you get a really good burn (I have no idea what brown fat cells are but it sounded good) hking in the cold weather. I've used a body bugg to track calories burned on a hike, and it is easy to burn as much as 1,000 calories in a couple of hours.

Of course if you're stuck in an apartment with no time for such recreation, there could be guilt. But what better reason to make yoruself get out and go for a walk? Even a few blocks in the city is good exercise. If you can find a hill, the dog will help pull you up when you're feeling challenged. Again, you're safer with a dog than alone. And running? Never have I met a dog who does not like to run (unless he too is overweight in which case there are many more issues.)

We as humans don't often exhibit pure joy. You'll get that look of gratitude and pure joy everytime you break out the leash. And they don't talk back.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    It really depends on you. If you've had dogs before and know you'll take the time to ensure he/she gets exercise and attention then go ahead and do the juggle. If you've never had one before you should wait until you have a less involved schedule.