cheat day while finding maintenance?

Options

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I maintain by keeping a weekly average, rather than meeting every daily goal. However, I'd always make sure I ate enough each day.

I never understand who or what people think they're cheating …

Well said. And to truely find your TDEE, or what it takes to maintain, you'll need to carefully track your intake for a month or more, depending on how close you are to your true calorie goal. (Btw: You may be way, WAY undefeeding yourself, even for being "short". My BMR is 1355, but my TDEE is above 2500. I lose steadily at around 2300, and stall out and plateau below 1900.)
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I maintain by keeping a weekly average, rather than meeting every daily goal. However, I'd always make sure I ate enough each day.

I never understand who or what people think they're cheating …

Well said. And to truely find your TDEE, or what it takes to maintain, you'll need to carefully track your intake for a month or more, depending on how close you are to your true calorie goal. (Btw: You may be way, WAY undefeeding yourself, even for being "short". My BMR is 1355, but my TDEE is above 2500. I lose steadily at around 2300, and stall out and plateau below 1900.)
    I just realised that I've been tracking the calories of my rice wrongly. I weight it after it is being cooked instead of dry ones, so I've been eating the wrong calories, so should I restart to find my maintenance calorie intake?? My BMR is 1167... How do you manage to eat so much and maintenaning>??
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I just realised that I've been tracking the calories of my rice wrongly. I weight it after it is being cooked instead of dry ones, so I've been eating the wrong calories, so should I restart to find my maintenance calorie intake?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you aren't accurately tracking food intake, and are eating very inconsistent amounts from week to week, you're going to have a very difficult time establishing maintenance calories. It's fine to eat a little less on some days and more on others; but you still need a certain degree of consistency.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just remember....NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING SLIM FEELS. :-)

I hate that quote- I first thought I liked it- but then the more I thought about it- the more I hated it.

Yes I love my body and I love the results I get form working hard- and NOTHING tastes as good as THOSE RESULTS. But tasting as good as slim feels?

to me that just- ughhhh seems like it sets you up for ED issues.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    If you aren't accurately tracking food intake, and are eating very inconsistent amounts from week to week, you're going to have a very difficult time establishing maintenance calories. It's fine to eat a little less on some days and more on others; but you still need a certain degree of consistency.

So I should restart my journey of finding maintenance calorie and start tracking calories of my rice accurately? I am suppose to weight the rice dry and not cooked right according to the nutrition info given on the package... Im confused.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Just remember....NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING SLIM FEELS. :-)

I hate that quote- I first thought I liked it- but then the more I thought about it- the more I hated it.

Yes I love my body and I love the results I get form working hard- and NOTHING tastes as good as THOSE RESULTS. But tasting as good as slim feels?

to me that just- ughhhh seems like it sets you up for ED issues.

Okay, Nothing taste as good as eating healthy!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options

So I should restart my journey of finding maintenance calorie and start tracking calories of my rice accurately? I am suppose to weight the rice dry and not cooked right according to the nutrition info given on the package... Im confused.

It doesn't matter which one you use, so long as you add it correctly into your diary, You can search for both dried or cooked rice on here. Dried rice is a heck of a lot easier to weight
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    People who have a cheat day or cheat meal one day and then eat well bellow maintenance the next are setting themselves up for eating disorders. Go ahead and have the cheat day or cheat meal and the following days just normally.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    People who have a cheat day or cheat meal one day and then eat well bellow maintenance the next are setting themselves up for eating disorders. Go ahead and have the cheat day or cheat meal and the following days just normally.

Maybe for some but I've been doing this for years with no problems. I hardly think eating 200-300 calories below maintenance 4 days a week to allow a little wiggle room on the weekends is an eating disorder. Unless being a healthy weight (neither too thin nor too heavy) for nearly all of one's life constitutes an eating disorder...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you CAN cheat once you're on maintenance. Surely it's all about finding out what your body can tolerate or can't. It also depends on what you mean by cheat. Do you have a day when all bets are off and you eat anything and everything or do you just have a couple of squares of chocoloate?

Personally I don't like the idea of any food being labelled 'cheating'. No food is bad for us in moderation. Whatever you consider a cheat food I think I'd work small amounts of it into my maintenance plan. For instance, once I reach my goal weight I know I can't eat huge amounts of carbs. They play havoc with my blood sugars and my weight but I'll still have a cream tea once in a blue moon and have the odd roast spud with my meat and veg.

The best maintemance plan I ever saw was the old WW one from the 1970's. You got back 50 calories a day with a different type of food every week. I think it lasted for 8 weeks so eventually you were back up to about 2,000 calories a day.

You shouldn't starve yourself for days and then have one huge blowout on unhealthy foods. You'll feel so deprived you'll stuff yourself till you burst and then you'll feel like crap. You need to learn to regulate what you choose from a buffet. Just remember....NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING SLIM FEELS. :-)

Lies. Lots of things taste better than being slim feels.

Fresh baked cookies.

Apple pie

My mom's lasagna

A nice steak

Fresh baked yeast rolls.

I could go on forever.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Why have a cheat day? You can instead have a very tasty day with whole, unprocessed foods :)

You'll enjoy it and be guilt free when you go to bed.

Good one! :laugh:

My favorite part was the part about the guilt. :laugh:
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Why have a cheat day? You can instead have a very tasty day with whole, unprocessed foods :)

You'll enjoy it and be guilt free when you go to bed.

Good one! :laugh:

My favorite part was the part about the guilt. :laugh:

she has a lot of guilt, it seems
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in 'cheat days' (who are you cheating?), but I do have days when I choose to eat more than others and balance my week with that. It just has to average out.

Okay - confession. I'm a scientist.

If I want to find maintenance calories, I want good study data to find out what my weight does over a period of time. I would look at weight change over three weeks or so and calculate the average number of calories per day in that period. I would want my data pretty steady because it's my impression that big binges of calories have different effects on fat deposition than being relatively steady. But I would also want to generalize from those weeks to my regular life. So if I typically eat 500 calories more on Friday than I do the rest of the week, that should be reflected in the data I collect.

Bottom line:

The shorter the time you want to spend collecting your data to establish maintenance, the more stable you want your calorie (and sodium and exercise) intake.

If you're willing to go out for a longer period of time, the variability in your data collection (e.g., cheat days) is less important.

(Sorry to everyone - I just left class teaching research methods).
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Maybe for some but I've been doing this for years with no problems. I hardly think eating 200-300 calories below maintenance 4 days a week to allow a little wiggle room on the weekends is an eating disorder. Unless being a healthy weight (neither too thin nor too heavy) for nearly all of one's life constitutes an eating disorder...
    200-300 below maintenance for a few days is not an issue, but often people overstress eating below maintenance just before or after a cheat day. They may do extreme dieting such as fruits and veggies only for a few days or eating only 1/2 of their maintenance calories.
  • maureenec
    maureenec Posts: 34 Member
    Options

This what I do also. I just stay a little under for 5 days a week and then relax on the weekends. Or, if I know I have something during the week, I do a better job of logging on the weekend. I've been maintaining for almost a year now. And I don't go hog wild. No fast food or anything. We were at a dinner party Friday, and it would have been weird to not eat the delicious chicken parmesan!
  • cpayagen
    Options
    You can still have a cheat day. 99% of the people on these forums saying "no cheat day" have cheat days ALL THE TIME! My calories at maintenance is 2200. I eat 2200 calories everyday but once every 2 weeks, I have my cheat day and eat as much as I want. Obviously you can't have a cheat day often, but once every two weeks is sufficient. Also, you'll notice that when you have a cheat day, you won't want to eat after that big meal. So what I suggest on your cheat day is to skip breakfast and eat as much as you can past noon. You'll find that you won't want to eat anything after 8PM because their is still some food in your stomach.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    This what I do also. I just stay a little under for 5 days a week and then relax on the weekends. Or, if I know I have something during the week, I do a better job of logging on the weekend. I've been maintaining for almost a year now. And I don't go hog wild. No fast food or anything. We were at a dinner party Friday, and it would have been weird to not eat the delicious chicken parmesan!

Right. You'll never see me eat an entire cake or quart of ice cream. A major indulgent event, like Thanksgiving, I don't even worry about. It's the ones that happen on a regular basis that I account for. Like drinks with friends, or dinner out...

As far as eating very low calories on a regular basis (such as 1-2x/week), supposedly there are health benefits to it. Intermittent fasting...I don't follow it, but haven't discounted it either.
  • Wingg_
    Options

It doesn't matter which one you use, so long as you add it correctly into your diary, You can search for both dried or cooked rice on here. Dried rice is a heck of a lot easier to weight

But for the brand that I'm using it only has the calories shown on the package and it didn't mention if it's dry or cooked rice. It's really not much rice when I measure it when it's cooked considering the amount of calories it has.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I don't binge often because I normally include chocolates and chips in my diet (in proportion of course) due the the fact that I'm scared of gaining weight. Now that I know I can eat under maintenance for the week and go over maintenance calorie a little on weekends is great!