H2O

Options
My weakest part of a healthy lifestyle is defintely the drinking of water. I think over the past 3 days I probably didn't drink even 72ounces. So, today my goal EVERY day will be to drink half my weight (in ounces) of water--which will be about 100oz a day. Now here is my question. I'm the type that wants to meet my goal and I'm pretty impatient. So, it is only 1:35pm and I have almost 72oz done. I feel like I'm forcing myself to drink, drink, drink and all I'm doing is getting water and peeing it out. I'm thinking it probably isn't too healthy to drink your daily amount of water in a short period of time, right? Also, the less I drink the less I'm thirsty. The more I drink, the more I'm thirsty. It is so bizarre. I hate my body. :(

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. The more I drink, the more thirsty I am. I also drink, pee, drink, pee......and on and on. One way to look at it is you get a bit of exercise walking back and forth to the bathroom. I work on the first floor of my building. I like to walk up the stairs to the second floor to go to the bathroom.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The daily amount of water you need is enough for you to be hydrated. You obviously haven't fallen over dead yet so you don't need to drink half your weight in water. If your urine is pale yellow you're hydrated and you get lots of fluid from the foods that you eat unless you munch on hay all day. It can actually be detrimental to drink too much because you flush out vitamins and minerals that your body needs.

Drinking a lot of water doesn't flush out fat and it isn't a magic weight loss cure. Drink as much as you feel comfortable with and check the color of your urine.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    When you have time, read this. Excellent information regarding everything about our wonderful H2O

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-can-water-help-me-lose-weight.html
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it really matter when, except for before bedtime. I find the earlier in the day I start drinking the water, the easier it is to reach my daily goal. I am definitely slacking in this department & need to step it up. I have a 24oz turvis water bottle that I love, but lately I seem to be leaving it somewhere. Definitely need to pay more attention.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My weakest part of a healthy lifestyle is defintely the drinking of water. I think over the past 3 days I probably didn't drink even 72ounces. So, today my goal EVERY day will be to drink half my weight (in ounces) of water--which will be about 100oz a day. Now here is my question. I'm the type that wants to meet my goal and I'm pretty impatient. So, it is only 1:35pm and I have almost 72oz done. I feel like I'm forcing myself to drink, drink, drink and all I'm doing is getting water and peeing it out. I'm thinking it probably isn't too healthy to drink your daily amount of water in a short period of time, right? Also, the less I drink the less I'm thirsty. The more I drink, the more I'm thirsty. It is so bizarre. I hate my body. :(

So, even though you are the type who wants to meet her goals...you couldn't meet the goal of 72 ounces. So you set a new one of 100 ounces? Even though 72 ounces is high (the standard 8 cup per day recommendation is 64 ounces).
    The daily amount of water you need is enough for you to be hydrated. You obviously haven't fallen over dead yet so you don't need to drink half your weight in water. If your urine is pale yellow you're hydrated and you get lots of fluid from the foods that you eat unless you munch on hay all day. It can actually be detrimental to drink too much because you flush out vitamins and minerals that your body needs.

Drinking a lot of water doesn't flush out fat and it isn't a magic weight loss cure. Drink as much as you feel comfortable with and check the color of your urine.

^^^This is correct. Drinking more than you need won't magically make you lose weight any faster.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    @Richardheath--I don't think I drank 72oz of water combined in 3 days is what I was trying to say, so setting a goal of 100/day is huge for me! All I keep reading about is "drink water".

When I was in the Army the Drill Sergeants forced water on us. I remember a night before a big ruck march--we had to drink two canteens full of water before we were allowed to go to bed. OMG--it took me forever to drink it, and then I was up all night in the bathroom. I actually love water and I have my entire life. I just don't feel like I'm every "thirsty". My urine is usually a dark yellow--which I know means I'm not properly hydrated. I'm not trying to drink a lot of water to make myself lose weight faster. I'm just trying to drink a lot of water, because so many people keep telling me to drink a lot of water. haha
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think ultimately it doesn't matter but you don't want to chug too much water at once or it may make your stomach upset, especially if empty. While both the 8x8 rule and 1/2 your body weight in ounces rule aren't exactly, they are failry good guidelines. As someone else said, go by your urine color. If dark, drink more. If pale yellow, just right. If clear, you may need to slow down a bit on your intake (sip) so your body can properly process. The only caveat to this is if you take any meds or vitamins that cause urine discoloration.

I'm thinking because you still feel thirsty that you're drinking too fast so your body can't keep up and is just flushing the excess through. Try sipping more than chugging. For me, cold water helps keep my intake slow and steady.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I feel thirsty constantly no matter what my water intake is so I am kinda on the other side of the coin from most people. I have to be careful not to drink too much water each day. I have an app on my phone called "Water my Body". I actually use it to a)track my intake and b) to keep me from drinking too much too quickly. This might help you regulate your timing. It goes off an hour after you logged your last bottle or whatever. This keeps me on the pace of about 500mL per hour which seems to be about right for my body to process and keep my urine the right color. Any faster and I am definitely in the clear category.

Your kidneys can only safely process up to 1L per hour, more than that over an extend period of time is when it can get dangerous.
  • _jayciemarie_
    Options
    The only caveat to this is if you take any meds or vitamins that cause urine discoloration.

Good Call! I do take vitamins after my morning breakfast and the B complex does discolor it.

I wish I had a nutritionist or someone watching over me daily so I could get everything straight and stop overthinking everything. I feel like I'm full of half-*kitten* knowledge and I could be more efficent in my efforts. First world problems :(
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No it won't. However, water does clean out your organs so they can work at an optimal level, which does aid in weight loss because your body can burn through the fuel efficiently. So regardless of what these guys say I lost 35pds and when I was losing weight I was drinking anywhere from 12-16 cups a day and eating 2100 cals. So take what you want from everything here, but there's really nothing wrong with giving your body more of what it needs. It also helps me in the fact that it allows me to see my true weight when I keep the water intake up I retain less and I can track my weight daily and never have spike days aside from the first days of that time of the month. Good luck!
  • bellevie86
    Options
    Also, that water is meant to be spread out not drank in a couple hrs.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love water, my only beverage lol, but I live in the desert so I probably need it. I notice when I lived in Alaska I drank way less. The only reason it can be a tool in weight loss is because it is zero calorie, so if you are used to chugging high calorie beverages and switch to water of course you will benefit.
  • _jayciemarie_
    Options
    Also, that water is meant to be spread out not drank in a couple hrs.

Is 72oz in 6hrs too fast?
  • bellevie86
    Options
    I would think its too fast....try to spread it out over the hrs you are actually awake! It's not going to hurt you but the idea is to stay hydrated the WHOLE day :)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    @Richardheath--I don't think I drank 72oz of water combined in 3 days is what I was trying to say, so setting a goal of 100/day is huge for me! All I keep reading about is "drink water".
    Do any of these places you read "drink water" actually cite any science to say why? :wink:

As far as I can tell, there are no health or weight benefits to being more than "adequately" hydrated. Drink enough liquid (water, coffee, tea - it doesn't matter) and you'll be fine. There is water in food too, and your body will use that as well. Drink any more, and you'll just pee it out. I'm sure it won't hurt you, but why force yourself to do it if you don't really need it? [Other than to simply establish a habit.]
  • bellevie86
    Options
    It also is an appetite suppressant so there's that. Have you tried put lemon/lime in your water? I used to hate it but then I got used to it and don't like plain water. You could try some flavoring agents but it adds extra aspartame :( I've always been a water lover but it's different for everyone. There is also evidence that drinking ice cold water can boost metabolism because your body works to warm that water up!
  • bellevie86
    Options
    This is true, if you are eating high water content food like fruits and veg then then also helps!
  • cdanie13
    cdanie13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I TRY to drink at minimum a gallon a day. The only days that I actually succeed in that typically are days I work out though. Just keep yourself hydrated :)!
  • cdanie13
    cdanie13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do any of these places you read "drink water" actually cite any science to say why? :wink:

As far as I can tell, there are no health or weight benefits to being more than "adequately" hydrated. Drink enough liquid (water, coffee, tea - it doesn't matter) and you'll be fine. There is water in food too, and your body will use that as well. Drink any more, and you'll just pee it out. I'm sure it won't hurt you, but why force yourself to do it if you don't really need it? [Other than to simply establish a habit.]

I usually drink water when I'm feeling snacky....sometimes your hunger is just thirst....that's why I drink so much water :drinker:
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Okay - I'm a girl born and raised down south. Our liquid diet as a child was coke (it didn't matter what brand you drank everything was/is called coke if it is soda) and iced tea. It wasn't until I was in my twenties that I developed a love for water. I was literally dehydrated ALL the time. I could barely do anything. I'm still not sure how I survived. Water, NOW, I love. It is cool. Refreshing. I can't live without it. Seriously. I love my coffee still. AND. I love water.