How do I know if yoga's right for me?

Options
I have been considering yoga and wondering if I should try to fit a class into my school schedule. How do you know if yoga would be a good workout for you?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider yoga a "workout." It's more flexibility and for calming your mind.

That said, yoga is good for everyone.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    All depends on what your looking for from it really? There are some forms of Yoga that are more intensive than others. Or there's Pilates which focuses less on the "spirtual" element.

http://www.yoga-space.org/whatis.htm

Brief descriptions here.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have been considering yoga and wondering if I should try to fit a class into my school schedule. How do you know if yoga would be a good workout for you?

If you've considered it at all, you'll probably love it. There really is this neurological thing that makes you energetic afterwards, and it's addictive that way. Just take a few classes. Don't just take one or the amazing parts might not kick in yet.

And different forms of yoga are different. Most all of them are workouts, yes. Cardio? No. Strength training for everyone? No, some folks will have to progress up to the more advanced poses for that, if they start out very strong. People who are strong from lifting probably don't have the flexibility to do some fairly basic yoga poses, OTOH, so you definitely can progress faster if you start out flexible compared to just strong, I think.

Most people just build both their strength and flexibility as they go, I believe. It works really well. That's probably why it's been around forever :) All those 'planks' and pushups you see everywhere in fitness? That's all yoga.

And there are even forms that are fast enough to be cardio for lots of folks. I suggest learning the poses done slowly before taking that on, though. Form is key.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Try it. There are different kinds, and you can find many different full length videos online. Some kinds of yoga are more a moving meditation, which is good for relaxing and stretching out, and some, usually called power yoga can be an awesome workout with you dripping sweat at the end. If you REALLY want to sweat, look for bikram yoga, aka hot yoga.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

If you've considered it at all, you'll probably love it. There really is this neurological thing that makes you energetic afterwards, and it's addictive that way. Just take a few classes. Don't just take one or the amazing parts might not kick in yet.

And different forms of yoga are different. Most all of them are workouts, yes. Cardio? No. Strength training for everyone? No, some folks will have to progress up to the more advanced poses for that, if they start out very strong. People who are strong from lifting probably don't have the flexibility to do some fairly basic yoga poses, OTOH, so you definitely can progress faster if you start out flexible compared to just strong, I think.

Most people just build both their strength and flexibility as they go, I believe. It works really well. That's probably why it's been around forever :) All those 'planks' and pushups you see everywhere in fitness? That's all yoga.

And there are even forms that are fast enough to be cardio for lots of folks. I suggest learning the poses done slowly before taking that on, though. Form is key.

Agreed; word for word and nothing to add apart from - the best way to know if it is for you is to try it. What's to lose?
  • tigersword
    Options

While I practice yoga daily, and I'm all for encouraging people to try it, I despise misinformation. Planks and push-ups are not "all yoga." The modern form of yoga is based on Hatha yoga, which dates back about 500 years. Planks and push-ups were used for exercise long before that, the Greeks and Romans used them 2500 years ago as part of military training.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Classes are expensive, unless your gym offers them. If you want to try it without spending first, check out some yoga shows on TV or Netflix. The various styles differ a lot so if you don't like the first one, don't write it off completely.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As a regular practitioner of yoga, I'd say it's right for everyone, you included.

Yoga probably isn't the best "work out" meaning you don't burn tons of calories and doing just yoga isn't going to significantly change your muscle mass (so don't go into it with those expectations), but it will help your balance and flexibility. Also, depending where you are, it can help make you stronger. I couldn't do standard planks (had to be on my knees), or hold some poses of the standing strength variety for very long when I first started, but I can now! And, if I do an intense workout, then go do yoga, I'm nowhere near as sore the next day, all that stretching out really does help. There have also been studies that show that yoga improves bone strength, lowers blood pressure, and a ton of other helpful stuff health-wise.

The biggest benefit of yoga is definitely mental. Yoga reduces stress and tension and adds such a great awareness of your body and your world. Since I've started doing yoga I can feel how much more relaxed I am, and it's way easier to go to bed. I feel more connected to my body, it isn't just something that I have to have anymore, it's something I honor and take care of because it's a part of me. I've had fewer seasonal depression signs this year (which I attribute to yoga, because that's the biggest change between now and every other time the weather turns). I've been doing yoga before I do homework or take tests too, and doing that mental work after I've had a great yoga class has been easier, and my scores have improved.

So, I guess if you want to burn 600 calories in an hour, don't expect yoga to get you there. But, if you want to feel amazing, improve balance and flexibility, reduce your stress, and increase your mind/body connection, definitely take yoga!

And, I agree with the others, take a few classes (from a few different instructors if you can) because it might take a bit for all the benefits to kick in, and a certain teacher might be amazing for you, while another teacher might lead the class in a way that doesn't work for you.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    creeper tagged :blushing:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

While I practice yoga daily, and I'm all for encouraging people to try it, I despise misinformation. Planks and push-ups are not "all yoga." The modern form of yoga is based on Hatha yoga, which dates back about 500 years. Planks and push-ups were used for exercise long before that, the Greeks and Romans used them 2500 years ago as part of military training.

Ah, we're getting all historically accurate? Pretty cool :) I used the word 'forever' to kind of note that I wasn't being precise like that, but your info is very interesting. Maybe the yogis swiped planks and pushups from the Greeks and Romans? In any case, those moves will definitely be seen in your average yoga class, possible cultural appropriation notwithstanding ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you like it- and it's helping improve your life- it's for you.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love yoga - it will balance all other forms of exercise and bring success in all areas!!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    I consider yoga exercise and log it daily. It's a right fit if you enjoy it and get that feeling of relaxation and peace. I had a friend who joined a class at her office that met around lunch time. She stuck it out for a week or two then decided it wasn't for her. She said she couldn't get her mind that "down" during the day. Basically she couldn't turn off work and enjoy the peace. I, personally LOVE yoga first thing in the morning. I do mine at home, but I find that (a) it stretches out all the tension from my sleep (I have issues with nightmares), and (b) it washes those nightmares out of my head so that I can start my day fresh. Also be aware that there are different types of yoga. Slow, stretching movements are part of hatha yoga. The hubby likes Bikram yoga that takes place in a super steaming room - I would melt into a puddle in the first 5 minutes. So check the class description or talk with the instructor. :smooched:

totally agree that the instructor can make or break the class. I really don't like those that are aggressive and try to "position" me. I like to take it at my own pace.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga!!! Is it an exercise? Yes it most certainly is!!! I've broken a sweat in yoga class and I've been sore the next day!! It's great for strength and flexibility. Give it a try!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel.....lots of yoga to try.

Mostly... yoga is not a workout. However, if you can reach an advanced level....then it will be more challenging. For me, it's very calming and I can work my balance and flexibility too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga!!! Is it an exercise? Yes it most certainly is!!! I've broken a sweat in yoga class and I've been sore the next day!! It's great for strength and flexibility. Give it a try!

I break a sweat sitting in my car driving home in the summer.

I break a sweat sitting in a sauna.

I have been sore from raking leaves and doing sewing projects.

Neither of those two things are good indicators of a "good workout"
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

I'm just waiting for the "Can I count sewing as exercise?" thread. :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Ouch! What's with the attack?!
  • tigersword
    Options

Ouch! What's with the attack?!
    It's not an attack, it's the truth. Soreness and sweat have absolutely no correlation with the effectiveness of an activity. I can squat 200 pounds for multiple sets and not be sore the next day. I can spend 15 minutes with a foam roller and be incredibly sore. Which activity do you think was more effective from an exercise standpoint?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I enjoy yoga but think of it more as a revitalization activity than a workout...that said, there are various kinds of yoga. The yoga I do primarily focuses on flexibility and stretching which is important to Olympic Lifting, which I'm just getting into (and weight training in general).