Question about footwear for heavy lifting

Options
Simple question.... what is the best footwear for doing Squats, DLs, and Cleans?

I've seen lots of guys going barefoot for those particular exercises. For awhile I would wear my Vibram Five Fingers so I had the effect of being barefoot (toes able to spread, and no heel cushion) without having to take my shoes on and off for those big lifts.

Just looking for positive feedback from those of you who've already researched this. Thanks!

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    weight lifting shoes i hear you say?

i just wear normal trainers right now, but i'd buy some Adipower's if i could afford it.
    V24382_01?wid=500&hei=500&fmt=jpeg&qlt=92,0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1.1,0.5,1,0
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I lift in socks.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to do Squats and DL's barefooted and cleans with nike frees. Now, I use OLY shoes for all three.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    most I have read says barefoot or chucks :) my gym is in my house so I am in socks lol
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used to wear trainers, but not anymore, now it's barefoot all the way, but for hygienic purposes, I wear these: http://www.inov-8.com/new/global/Product-View-Evoskin-Black.html -- love them to bits!
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    I have 4 pairs of Inov-8s trail running shoes. Never saw these before. They look similar in design the the VFFs.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think the key is that you do not want a compressible and cushiony sole like a running shoe. That would be a bit unstable and wobbly feeling. You want a solid contact with the floor.

Barefoot or just socks is probably the best, but I go to a gym that other people use, so I wear chucks.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah there are special shoes for different lifts, but they aren't necessary at all.

The bottom line is that your shoes to be flat and sturdy enough to where the heel doesn't add length to the lift and your heels are stable/hard so you don't twist your ankle or loose power from a soft heel.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Shoes you can lift in:
    Oly lifting shoes
    chucks
    men's dress shoes
    vibrams
    barefoot
    socks
    New Balance Minimus

Shoes NOT to lift in:
    > cross trainers
    > running shoes
    > Super cushie shoes
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I wear pinkish purple Chuck Taylor's.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Shoes you can lift in:
    Oly lifting shoes
    chucks
    men's dress shoes
    vibrams
    barefoot
    socks
    New Balance Minimus

Shoes NOT to lift in:
    > cross trainers
    > running shoes
    > Super cushie shoes

How about my bunny slippers?
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    I appreciate all the great responses. Great ideas! I've got a couple pairs of Chucks, too!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Shoes you can lift in:
    Oly lifting shoes
    chucks
    men's dress shoes
    vibrams
    barefoot
    socks
    New Balance Minimus

Shoes NOT to lift in:
    > cross trainers
    > running shoes
    > Super cushie shoes

How about my bunny slippers?

as long as they aren't super cushy on the bottom- go for it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I lift in socks or in my Vans. I found that in tennis shoes, even a little support or lift, I feel like my balance is thrown off. I gotta wear flat shoes to lift, tennis for cardio, and trail runners for HARSH =)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yup barefoot or Converse Chuck Taylors.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Chuck Taylors or Adidas originals for me.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store to get some weight lifting shoes, and the owner was so nice and didn't laugh at me and educated me on why my request for "workout shoes" probably wasn't going to get me what I wanted/needed when I don't actually run much.

I ended up buying a pair of Altra's. There's no drop and a wide toe box so they're super stable, and they have great arch support. If I'm lifting at home I'm barefoot, but when I go to the gym I need shoes and these are perfect for me!
  • joshky9
    Options
    Seems like you have got some great responses. I would suggest the VFF for deadlift and those Adidas lifting shoes for some squats if you do not have adequate dorsiflexion ROM in your ankles. Shoes are great for stability but they are one of many factors that influence sound and safe lifting techniques. The deadlift requires a good deal of hamstring flexibility. Some good blogs for lifting advice would be from Bret http://bretcontreras.com/ and Eric http://www.ericcressey.com/ both use some evidence based principles and deserve some hits on their websites.