What are some 'sneaky' foods?

Options
I was really surprised to find out how many calories sunflower seeds had in them. Even the small amount I had on my salad was 122 cal. Tinned beetroot was also had a lot of salt and sugar in it.

What foods have you had, then looked up and gone "Oh golly!" (or something much more colourful)

What foods do you stay right away from?

Replies

• Justine_JellyBean
    Options
    I knew nuts (walnuts, cashews) were high cal but realizing just how small a serving size was in relation to the calorie content was CRAZY. I used to be able to eat half a container of cashews before I realized that I'd eaten more than half a day's worth of calories. I am hyper aware of portion sizes now. When I buy containers of something each serving goes into it's own baggy or container so I'm not tempted to over do it.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The first time I weighed out a serving of cereal I was pretty disappointed.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    OH yeah I can eat a whole can of cashews without breaking a sweat
  • Shnookington
    Options
    Nuts are so good but so bad!

I earned myself a single serve of icecream last night, and when I looked at it I was like "That's it?? That's how much people are supposed to be eating??"
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    the serving size of ice cream is ridiculous so i dont even bother.
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am finding that portions are always a lot smaller than what I would like to consume.... I have been eating 1 bite portions of some deserts and find that they can be almost 100 calories!! Before then, I thought a bite of anything couldn't hurt anything, huh...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Nuts are so good but so bad!

I earned myself a single serve of icecream last night, and when I looked at it I was like "That's it?? That's how much people are supposed to be eating??"

I have mostly switched from ice cream to sorbet...I can eat an entire pint for ~400 calories...much better, and still tasty!
  • Shnookington
    Options
    Oooh sorbet! There's an idea! I think there's reasonably limited flavours here tho. I think Tip Top does a yoghurt icecream, so maybe that's better.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Oil is the sneakiest food out there! It is the most calorie dense food on the planet, and it is way too easy to overdo it. You can easily put 250 calories of pure fat onto a 90 calorie plate of salad, turning one of the world's healthiest veggies into junk food with a single pouring motion.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Naan for calorie rage and cottage cheese for sodium spike. Boo
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Avocados, nuts, dried fruit, mangoes, bananas, croutons, granola are a few that I eat but make sure it is a small portion due to how calorie dense they are.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Cheese, man. If I eat what I think is a reasonable amount it's like ~400kcals, whereas an ounce is so tiny and sad.
  • benniesmother
    benniesmother Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    When I first started my MFP journey, I was SORELY disappointed to see a "serving" of pasta. I was eating 3x what I should have been!
    also, I saw cheese on here, and I second that!
    However, now that I'm well into a healthier lifestyle, the portion sizes doesn't seem "unfair" to me anymore. :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Oil is the sneakiest food out there! It is the most calorie dense food on the planet, and it is way too easy to overdo it. You can easily put 250 calories of pure fat onto a 90 calorie plate of salad, turning one of the world's healthiest veggies into junk food with a single pouring motion.

There is nothing wrong with fat (oil) so your not turning your vegetables into junk food. You need the fat to absorb a lot of the nutrients such as fat soluble vitamins.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with fat (oil) so your not turning your vegetables into junk food. You need the fat to absorb a lot of the nutrients such as fat soluble vitamins.
    Do you work for the food industry? Why so quick to defend junk food with so many of your comments?

Anyway, raw nuts, olives, avocados and seeds can very easily be added to a salad to get your healthy fats. The example i gave was of a 390 calorie meal, of which 64% of the calories came from nutrientless, fiberless fat. That's not junk food? Get real.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The first time I weighed out a serving of cereal I was pretty disappointed.

THIS
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    the serving size of ice cream is ridiculous so i dont even bother.

Mmmmmm, Ben and Jerry's Fro Yo does it for me!

My biggest ouch was mayonnaise....I had been adding an average of 400 calories of mayo to most meals. I switched to low fat mayo and reduced serving size to one tablespoon (15g) and felt like life was over but that was eight months ago and now I rarely eat mayo at all, I just don't feel the need any more.

Things I have cut out cos there's just not a low cal version worth eating or it's not worth reducing the portion....

sausage rolls
    pies
    pasties
    Baileys
  • LifeItself
    Options
    Peanut butter. It's crazy! However, I can't stay away from it. YOLO.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Cereal is sneaky...so is coffee creamer. I like just a couple tablespoons of eggnog in my coffee when eggnog is available in grocery stores...but even just a couple tablespoons of the regular stuff is really high in calories. I started buying the light kind.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see adding oil to salad "junk". I am careful though.