Potassium

Options
I was looking over my 'Reports' section today to see how I was doing over all and realized that I do pretty well on all of the sections except for potassium. I wasn't just low, but severely low. So, I was curious if anyone else tracks this, how they come in, and if you've noticed any differences. It really makes me wonder how important potassium is for me...

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I do as the balance between potassium and sodium is important in controlling my hypertension. It is difficult because potassium is not required on food labels...since that's where a lot of the info on MFP comes from, you're not seeing the whole picture. You're likely getting far more than you think you are for this reason. That said, if you're truly concerned then you should just google high potassium foods and make sure you're getting enough of those things...basically lots of veg, in particular, tomatoes are awesome...potatoes rock as well. I also drink coconut water to replenish after a good workout.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It is difficult because potassium is not required on food labels...since that's where a lot of the info on MFP comes from, you're not seeing the whole picture. You're likely getting far more than you think you are for this reason.
    This.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Potassium is an electrolyte that facilitates nerve impulse conduction and the contraction of skeletal and smooth muscles, including the heart. It also facilitates cell membrane function and proper enzyme activity. Along with Magnesium, and Sodium, Potassium produces the electrical pulses that create the signals in our neurological networks.

There are a number of signs and symptoms of potassium deficiency, including weakness, irregular heartbeat, stomach disturbances and frequently occurring muscle cramps. It can also take the form of excessive fatigue, constant thirst, dryness of skin, and recurring chills. Because these symptoms are associated with several other disorders, they are often misdiagnosed for some other health problem - which can result in treatment delay.

Low potassium levels can trigger other side effects on the body which can include relentless nausea, accompanied by frequent vomiting, diarrhea and constipation. Similarly, frequently occurring headache and insomnia are other low potassium side effects to watch out.

If the initial side effects of low potassium are ignored, the person's health can further worsen and result in severe health complications, such as heart attacks, high cholesterol, low blood pressure, etc. It has also been observed that the low potassium levels for extended periods lead to permanent scarring of the kidney.

Fortunately, a lot of foods do contain potassium. Unless you're taking certain pharmaceuticals, such as corticosteroids or insulin, potassium depletion is fairly rare. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms in conjunction with a low potassium intake, you might want to consider further investigation.
  • narwhalpr
    narwhalpr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The only fruit that I love and eat is banana - high potassium and I mix it with my protein shake... and also Raisin Bran cereal! That's the way I consume Potassium! :)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I do as the balance between potassium and sodium is important in controlling my hypertension. It is difficult because potassium is not required on food labels...since that's where a lot of the info on MFP comes from, you're not seeing the whole picture. You're likely getting far more than you think you are for this reason. That said, if you're truly concerned then you should just google high potassium foods and make sure you're getting enough of those things...basically lots of veg, in particular, tomatoes are awesome...potatoes rock as well. I also drink coconut water to replenish after a good workout.

Yeah, that's my concern. When I was looking up high potassium foods, I realized that the vast majority of foods that contain potassium, I don't eat. I don't eat bananas often, I don't eat as many carbs as some people (although, I wouldn't consider mine low), I'm lactose intolerant so no milk and due to no milk, I typically avoid cereals. That leaves potatoes and green veg. I just don't eat potatoes often and I love salad, so I get it there. I also love tomatoes, but just don't eat them that often. As another poster listed, I have MANY of those symptoms. Particularly cramps, dry skin, headaches, and insomnia. And no coconut for me -- hate that stuff!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Potassium is an electrolyte that facilitates nerve impulse conduction and the contraction of skeletal and smooth muscles, including the heart. It also facilitates cell membrane function and proper enzyme activity. Along with Magnesium, and Sodium, Potassium produces the electrical pulses that create the signals in our neurological networks.

There are a number of signs and symptoms of potassium deficiency, including weakness, irregular heartbeat, stomach disturbances and frequently occurring muscle cramps. It can also take the form of excessive fatigue, constant thirst, dryness of skin, and recurring chills. Because these symptoms are associated with several other disorders, they are often misdiagnosed for some other health problem - which can result in treatment delay.

Low potassium levels can trigger other side effects on the body which can include relentless nausea, accompanied by frequent vomiting, diarrhea and constipation. Similarly, frequently occurring headache and insomnia are other low potassium side effects to watch out.

If the initial side effects of low potassium are ignored, the person's health can further worsen and result in severe health complications, such as heart attacks, high cholesterol, low blood pressure, etc. It has also been observed that the low potassium levels for extended periods lead to permanent scarring of the kidney.

Fortunately, a lot of foods do contain potassium. Unless you're taking certain pharmaceuticals, such as corticosteroids or insulin, potassium depletion is fairly rare. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms in conjunction with a low potassium intake, you might want to consider further investigation.

I have several of those symptoms and since my diet is somewhat restricted as I mentioned just a second ago responding to another poster, I do fear I'm low. From what I've read, I can have a simple blood test to check so I may call my Doc to find out if I can get that done to be safe. However, I ate a giant sweet potato for lunch today just to try to up it. Hate that they don't include that on labels! *grumble grumble grumble*