Does anyone else throw up after working out?

Options
So I have this problem. I always feel nauseous and sometimes throw up after working out. I just started working out three weeks ago and I really love working out but I don't like being sick afterwards. Any advice or tips on how I could avoid this? Thanks!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You should talk to a doctor about this
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    How long before working out are you eating? I have thrown up before, but very rarely. Only when pushing too hard, or on a full stomach.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That's usually an issue with peri-workout nutrition. Pay attention to what you eat before/during/after working out. What you eat and how far in advance you eat will depend on what works best for you.
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    How long before working out are you eating? I have thrown up before, but very rarely. Only when pushing too hard, or on a full stomach.

The first thing I thought too..... when was your last meal before working out?
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    are you pushing yourself too hard? why not try a few days of walking a track (indoor if the weather's bad) take it a mile or two a day and see where that goes. There's plenty of calories burned while walking, and you can see if it's just you pushing too hard causing you to throw up. I almost ALWAYS get nauseous after the gym, and I realized it was because I was always trying to keep up with my neighboring elliptical, and they were capable of more than myself.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

this
  • LiveYourLifex163
    LiveYourLifex163 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The only time that I ever feel sick during or after working out, is if I have eaten a fair amount before working out (Typically within 45 minutes). I can, however, have snacks and not feel sick. If you eat before working out, that could be it. If not, I would recommend seeing your doctor for advice :)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I get this every now and then, usually I get overheated doing my hikes outside and I'll throw up whatever water/juice I drank. I try not to eat within 2-3 hours before being very active. Watch what you eat and try to refrain for awhile before a workout, stay hydrated, don't push your body overly hard.

You'll find a way that works, just most important DO NO GIVE UP. You can change things up with eating times or workout a little less intensely until you adjust, but if you lose the habit or get discouraged and give up totally it's a lot worse than just easing up a little.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Maybe back off a bit. It sounds like you're just going too hard. Whatever you're doing should not be making you sick. Also it could take some figuring to find out what you should and shouldn't eat before working out and how long before.

I can do a full lifting workout right after a meal but running nope. About 200 calories an hour before and then only easy-to-digest carbs like breakfast cereal, toast with jam etc.
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

This is true for me too.
    Also, I feel sick if I do not hydrate myself properly.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ How much are you doing, to what intensity and how long have you been away from exercise. I sometimes feel like puking if I have really pushed myself - this is not what you want to be doing straight away though (I don't really need to be doing in now lol). How about investing in a very cheap heart rate monitor and then monitoring your exertion - there will be a book with it and it will show you cardio and fat burn (very erroneously labelled) zones. - don't go more than aerobic (and I would suggest stay at the bottom end) for a few weeks. Also it may be good to get yourself checked out by the doctor just to make sure there is nothing wrong. Also as someone above said watch what you eat - try and have something but don't eat a couple of hours before a meal unless you are doing it first thing in the morning - if you do this just have a very small carb item like a banana to get you going if you need it.

Good luck
  • animalrane
    Options
    he day I sometimes get close is leg day... otherwise no
  • pdxbowler
    Options
    My experience has been that when I don't give myself enough of a break (1-2 minutes) between heavier sets or rapid exercises, I have a tendency to feel close to throwing up. If I don't eat before a workout (1 or 2 hours in advance) the feelings of nausea can be worse. When I feel sickness coming on I just sit down and breathe slow and deep. This helps me steer my body away from actually throwing up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting to workout then my guess is that you are pushing yourself beyond your current capabilities. You want to push yourself and make yourself better...but really, there's no reason to push to the point of puking IMHO. A good workout doesn't have to leave you heaved over or even close to it.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Maybe TMI.

This has only happened to me twice and both times it was cold outside, my nose was running, and I sucked in so much snot that I think it had to come up.

I have had friends tell me that they have thrown up after a really hard workout. IMO, if you are working out so hard you vomit maybe you are overdoing it? That's just me, though.

If it is happening with regularity and you can't attribute it directly to something you are doing, I would consider seeing a doctor.
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ok so I eat at 11 AM and work out at 3 PM. I usually have a big salad with some chicken. I also stay hydrated. And my workout is not crazy either. I do about an hour workout with 30-40 minutes cardio and the rest abs, weights, etc. I'm new to this so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Agree with when and what you're eating before working out.

I'm the opposite if I'm not fueled enough i get sick, so are you eating properly also? Obviously this doesn't apply if you're having a heavy meal and working out half hour later!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    There was recently a thread about this same subject. You are not alone. In the early 80s I was a distance runner, I threw up regularly then. These days I'm a lifter, I get to eat more meat!! lol... Hope you get it resolved.....
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and protein such as chicken, beans, etc. I think I eat a pretty balanced diet. But I don't know how much all this throwing up is affecting my body and the nutrition I'm actually getting.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You should talk to a doctor about this

Definitely second this. You shouldn't be throwing up, regardless. Definitely get yourself checked out to make sure that there isn't some underlying condition you need to have ruled out.