What are some 'sneaky' foods?

Options

Replies

• climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I always thought granola bars were a healthy snack, but sometimes I'm better off eating a candy bar... >__< Same thing with dried fruit. So much sugar in so little!

but most of all...
    ALCOHOL
    I can drink an entire day's worth of calories in an hour
    :((((
    I miss being drunk
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Nuts are so good but so bad!

I earned myself a single serve of icecream last night, and when I looked at it I was like "That's it?? That's how much people are supposed to be eating??"
    What do you mean? This is one serving...
    nick+ben+jerrys+vanilla+heath+bar+crunch.jpg
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oil is the sneakiest food out there! It is the most calorie dense food on the planet, and it is way too easy to overdo it. You can easily put 250 calories of pure fat onto a 90 calorie plate of salad, turning one of the world's healthiest veggies into junk food with a single pouring motion.

There is nothing wrong with fat (oil) so your not turning your vegetables into junk food. You need the fat to absorb a lot of the nutrients such as fat soluble vitamins.

Thanks You! So true!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Those pints of ice cream sure are sneaky.

One minute they're in the carton, and the next they're gone. Like that tree in the forest thing. No one else sees it happen, therefore, it never happened.

Sneaky, sneaky..
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oil is the sneakiest food out there! It is the most calorie dense food on the planet, and it is way too easy to overdo it. You can easily put 250 calories of pure fat onto a 90 calorie plate of salad, turning one of the world's healthiest veggies into junk food with a single pouring motion.

There is nothing wrong with fat (oil) so your not turning your vegetables into junk food. You need the fat to absorb a lot of the nutrients such as fat soluble vitamins.
    Do you work for the food industry? Why so quick to defend junk food with so many of your comments?

Anyway, raw nuts, olives, avocados and seeds can very easily be added to a salad to get your healthy fats. The example i gave was of a 390 calorie meal, of which 64% of the calories came from nutrientless, fiberless fat. That's not junk food? Get real.

Some oils have the same healthy fats you've listed above.... You get real
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    oatmeal & nuts....I don't get enough enjoyment out of them to want to sacrifice all those calories. I prefer a nice salad instead....
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Do you work for the food industry? Why so quick to defend junk food with so many of your comments?

Anyway, raw nuts, olives, avocados and seeds can very easily be added to a salad to get your healthy fats. The example i gave was of a 390 calorie meal, of which 64% of the calories came from nutrientless, fiberless fat. That's not junk food? Get real.

Some oils have the same healthy fats you've listed above.... You get real
    Do you know basic math?

Anyway, getting a macronutrient as part of a complete food is different from having a meal that consists MOSTLY of a refined food.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Olives are NOT a whole food. Raw olives are slightly toxic, they need heavy processing to become edible, hence why all olives go through some kind of brining process.

Not to mention, olive oil is actually healthier than the olive fruit, as some health compounds are only released when the fruit is crushed into oil, they're indigestible when you eat a whole olive.
  • jamesguidera
    jamesguidera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find cider isn't too bad. good cider that is, not something that is mostly sugar. I was drinking a dry apple cider last night that was only 6.5g of sugar and 150 calories (500Ml) . Something i can burn off dancing to a fast tempo in around 10-15 minuets
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Olives are NOT a whole food. Raw olives are slightly toxic, they need heavy processing to become edible, hence why all olives go through some kind of brining process.

Not to mention, olive oil is actually healthier than the olive fruit, as some health compounds are only released when the fruit is crushed into oil, they're indigestible when you eat a whole olive.
    No, they are not toxic, they are very bitter when raw. That is why they are processed.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    oatmeal & nuts....I don't get enough enjoyment out of them to want to sacrifice all those calories. I prefer a nice salad instead....

A whole cup of cooked oatmeal has only 150 calories! That doesn't seem like a lot to me, but I guess things start to add up when you add milk, sugar, fruit, granola, nuts, or other toppings...

I eat oatmeal almost every day~ I love it :) So I gotta stick up for it! haha
  • tigersword
    Options

No, they are not toxic, they are very bitter when raw. That is why they are processed.
    True. 99 times out of 100 bitterness is linked to some kind of toxicity, olives are actually one of the exceptions. I stand corrected.
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nuts and granola. I don't even serve myself nuts in a container, I just open my can, take a palm full and that is all.

I make my own granola but it is still so high calorie that I can only have a tiny little amount. I was also pretty disappointed upon reading that 21 frosted shredded mini wheats was a serving! It makes me so sad every time I have to count them out that I have switched to Cheerios.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    My own baking....I knew it was pretty high in calories :noway: It rivals every single restaurant nasty-tasting dessert as far as calories/fat go but doesn't compare to taste, quality and decadence......:laugh: :laugh: .
  • LWhite54
    LWhite54 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me it's dried cranberries. I add a quarter cup to my oatmeal most mornings and really have to restrain myself from grabbing an extra small handful because of the concentrated sugar content.
  • Ang108
    Options

Brining is not " heavy processing ". It's just water and salt, one of the most natural ways of preserving food.
  • tigersword
    Options

Brining is not " heavy processing ". It's just water and salt, one of the most natural ways of preserving food.
    They're also treated with lye. There's a lot more to curing olives than just water and salt. There's also a lot more to brines than just water and salt.
  • Ang108
    Options

A whole cup of cooked oatmeal has only 150 calories! That doesn't seem like a lot to me, but I guess things start to add up when you add milk, sugar, fruit, granola, nuts, or other toppings...

I eat oatmeal almost every day~ I love it :) So I gotta stick up for it! haha

That is exactly my point. Oatmeal alone is so boring that people have to add all the other stuff to make it enjoyable.....and since I have zero sweet tooth....oatmeal just stays boring for me. I eat it every once in a while made as Upma ( with onions, tomatoes and lots of cilantro and chiles ), but not very often.
  • Ang108
    Options

They're also treated with lye. There's a lot more to curing olives than just water and salt. There's also a lot more to brines than just water and salt.
    [/quote]

You probably know much better than I. I can just say that the homegrown olives I have brined with nothing but water and salt, plus the occasional herbs have always turned out really delicious. Also when the villagers in Souther Spain, where most of my experience comes from, brine their olives for home use or local sales, they also use just salt and some water and the process is known worldwide as " aceituning ".
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    A package of greek yogurt that apparently had 3 servings in it. Ended up eating an 800 calorie "snack" lol.

A lot of nut packets are like that too, so I just buy them raw and weigh them out.