Your opinion please.

Options
Hello breastfeeding moms who are trying to lose weight:

I will start off with my stats;

37 years of age , 5 4", 157 lbs (Pre-pregnancy: A fit, 140-lb before pregnancy; doing jogging and weights 3 to 4 times a week)

(sigh, what else would you need to know ??)

Here is my problem. I've been eating right (yes, I cheat on the weekends) exercising 3 to 4 times a week; weights and cardio for an hour...

The scale has not moved since I've gone back to the gym after 5 long weeks! I understand that there may be some muscle accumulation...no, I have not lost inches either..

I am on a 1600 calorie a day diet, and when I go over that, I exercise it off.

I have done a bit of research online and a lot of other moms are saying they haven't lost a pound while breastfeeding. Could it be (from what I've read) that my body may be hanging on to the fat for breastfeeding purposes? (my baby is 6 months old now)

What the heck am I doing wrong??? I am only doing exactly what I did pre-pregnancy...MFP, eating right and working out....

I am not one of those lucky women that lose all the baby weight from BF'ing) Any advice would help.

PS. I am not hooked on processed or fast foods.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food? You week end cheats might be what's stopping you from losing weight too, depending on how much you cheat.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I am guessing the logging of your calories may be off (could be inaccurate estimations or forgetting to log EVERYTHING). Perhaps you are overestimating your calories burned during exercise? And, as the poster above noted, perhaps your cheat weekends are high enough they sabotage your otherwise successful deficit for the week.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough sleep?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am guessing the logging of your calories may be off (could be inaccurate estimations or forgetting to log EVERYTHING). Perhaps you are overestimating your calories burned during exercise? And, as the poster above noted, perhaps your cheat weekends are high enough they sabotage your otherwise successful deficit for the week.

This and we are guessing as your diary isn't open.

But as a breast feeding more I know that it is recommended that you eat an extra 300 calories just for that (and you can log breast feeding in your food diary and it shows a -300 intake of calories)...so keep that in mind as well.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough sleep?

yes. She is pretty a pretty good sleeper.
  • jodycoady
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food? You week end cheats might be what's stopping you from losing weight too, depending on how much you cheat.

I use measuring cups and tablespoons and the like, but no scales
  • jodycoady
    Options

This and we are guessing as your diary isn't open.

But as a breast feeding more I know that it is recommended that you eat an extra 300 calories just for that (and you can log breast feeding in your food diary and it shows a -300 intake of calories)...so keep that in mind as well.

I go by what the machines say....the ellipitical is usually 250-300, a little less on the treadmill....(jogging) (30 mins!)

and I just log my half-hour of weightlifting as 100 cals burned.

My diary is open to friends...
  • LeighRaeW
    LeighRaeW Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups/spoons are notorious for being inaccurate. You should try investing in a digital kitchen scale, they're not expensive.
  • jodycoady
    Options
    Measuring cups/spoons are notorious for being inaccurate. You should try investing in a digital kitchen scale, they're not expensive.

okay, thank you :)
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Right on...if you go over 1000 on the weekend or more..well, you are just making up for the surplus, not creating a deficit.