Fairly new member... struggling with the EATING.....

Options
I am 41 years old... in good health with about 25 lbs to take off... I have been exercising regularily... sometimes burning upwards of 1000 calories a day!!! However; food... it's my nemisis. I am hungry all of the time... I eat every two or three hours... Most of the time I make low calorie/low fat choices... but then the craving starts for hot spicy food... with lots of texture and flavor... and MEAT... Gosh... i can pack away a 12oz prime rib steak in no time flat!!! And usually do so once a week.... Never mind the french fries... UGH. I've even cut back on my favorite drink (BEER) ... so far I've gained 3 lbs in the last two weeks. This is very discouraging... I almost want to quit... but surely I won't lose any weight or tone up if I do that... I'd love to hear from anyone else who is in my situation (or was)... Hopefully we can share stories, recipes and whatnot... to keep me on track...

Candice

Replies

• kazzanelson
    kazzanelson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    just a thought: have you considered taking measurements instead of just going by weight? Remember muscle weighs more than fat... also energy levels and general health improve with better eating and exercise so hang in there!!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You have to find replacement splurges for your cravings, i love TVP or lean strip steak!
  • jacj46
    jacj46 Posts: 46
    Options
    probably not what you wanna hear, but the bottom line is ... 'it's choices' ... don't put the 12oz in front of you, put a 6oz steak there instead. this is my 4th week and you are right, it is hard, esp for someone 300lbs and loves to eat ... but, where does it takes us (for me - by-pass, hip replacement & double knee replacement ) ... you are better than that ...just think about why up joined .. good luck!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Candice,
    Everyone has an opinion, here's mind..... Part of it is mind set[thinking you can do it...tell yourself you will do it]
    Other part is the hunger...Try eating more fiber,this will feel you up longer. Are you eating enough carbs for energy? Finally, Could this be an issue of having food replace something else that your missing in your life? :wink:

P.S. DRINKING AT LEAST 64 OZ. WATER A DAY?
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    wormy_waving.gif
    Welcome to MFP, it is a great tool to help you.
  • zombiejoe
    Options
    From what I've gathered trying to do this whole thing, just stick with the lower calorie snacks/meals and when it comes to dinner, you should/might have enough calories left in the day to be able to destroy that prime rib and not feel bad about it, especially if you're burning 1000 calories a day. Also, yes, keep in mind that if you're burning those calories, you're going to need calories to keep you moving.
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I can offer a suggestion on how to satisfy those cravings without going too overboard on them. Eat more asian inspired style foods. They love to mix texture and flavors that most american's or even most other cultures think are little crazy but it tastes so good!!. I know that my changing my diet over to something more asian inspired has helped me keep those cravings from sneaking up. Not everything they eat is healthy but most of their unhealthy food is healthier than what westerners eat.

I know that sounds hard but really their food isn't that hard to make. As far as I'm concerned hot and spicy is good for the diet cause it keeps the blood pumping hehe:smile:
  • stephanielaspina
    Options
    I hear ya.. I love meat. for over a month i was trying and trying to lose weight.. cutting back my meat intake and eating very 'healthy'. snacking on lots of carrots during the day.. because i too, have to eat every few hours.. especially when sitting in front of my desk at work. after weeks of eating tons of veggies for dinner and snacks.. so after gaining about 5 pounds on this 'diet'.. i decided to speak to a professional. she told me i should really consider cutting down on carbs for a while and see what happens. as awful as that sounds.. i tried. and its been working and i havent been hungry.. ive been satisfied and full. I eat hard boiled egg for breakfast along with some oatmeal. lunch is usually 6 oz grilled marinated chicken w/ spinach salad including goat cheese and cucumber, with some celery sticks (about 5) and peanut butter... very filling. then for a snack i have cucumber slices and hummus and about 10 almonds, along with a cup of tea. then for dinner i can have a 6 oz grilled steak with spinach, broccoli or other green veggies... as you have to be careful that some veggies and fruits contain high carbs. Yesterday i enjoyed a beautiful 3 egg omlet with spinach and american cheese i made at home.. with a side bowl of rasberries. It was delish and filling.. dinner was roast beef and asparagus and lunch was turkey slices with a protein shake since i had a late breakfast.
    so far.. so good.. ive been eating this way for only a week and have already lost 4 pounds. yea!
    give it a try if youre a meat lover.... try and keep the carbs only from veggies and fruits and count them to be under 70carbs per day.
    combining that with yoga and cardio every day, i feel great already..... !
  • slansdown
    Options
    I know this is not a popular statement, but I am struggling here too. I joined 45 days ago and have been logging everything. What I have to say is that this program has shown me two things -- that I am overweight because I overeat (like you said), and tiny choices make all the difference between a gain day, a maintain day or a lose day. I have lost 5, gained it back and lost it again. Others have had much more success in losing weight. For me, I have to think about my difficulty dieting, and appreciate that I have practiced self honesty. I have set physical goals and have raised my calories to 1500 -- which says I will lose a pound and a half a week. This stresses me out less. I have an easier time meeting 1500 than I did 1200, and at the end of the day I don't usually feel so bad.

The bottom line is -- this logging is giving me another reason to change. I didn't change instantly -- My problems with food are reflected in here. Hopefully I am changing and that will result in a smaller healthier body, because I have abused the one I have and it needs to heal.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    my go to for when i am "starving" are my raw carrots, red peppers and almonds (limit mine to 20)

i find that if i eat low fat, my body just doesn't do as well and the scales don't move as easily.

for me, i do not give up everything. choose your snacks/favorite foods wisely. plan for them in your eating plan. but don't let them be the bulk of your calories.

moderate exercise is best. yes, you can "earn" 1000 calories through working out, but that's a lot of stress on your body and really not needed. a good one hour burn (500 calories) and eating 300 of those calories should be a good balance. and yes, it is a balancing act.

when eating that steak...share that meal with someone. maybe 3 someones. you CAN do this. choose health over desires. once choice at a time.

and rest...8 hours of sleep a night.

send me a friend request so i can cheer you on daily.

Jane
  • SNOWMAN101750
    SNOWMAN101750 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    portions portions portions is the only key. have cukes, cherry tomatoes, red or green bell peppers or what you like around all the time. If it is things like ice cream, buy the 100 cal. ice cream bars. they work. steaks and all meat in large portions take alot of time to be absorbed and your weight jumps. you can drop weight gradual if you stick with portions of anything. have patience and dont try to lose to fast. 1-2 lbs/ week is great if you set a goal that is reachable then set another. in three months you will have lost 15-20 lbs. that is supper, remember to excersise and only weigh yourself once a week. good luck remember we are not bigest loser, we just want to be a good loser
  • cmacollins
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support/advice.... I know better than to mow down those 12 hot wings at 10 pm!!!!! And yes, making the choice not to is mine and mine alone. It is a matter of what do I want more: a strong healthy body or those damned wings???? I am a strong willed woman and I know that I can make the right choice for me.

Thank you for the suggestion on Asian food... my son in law is Chinese... I think I will go to him for some light and easy meals!!!!

As for the scale?... it is going.... I am off to take my measurements and will go forward from there. Afterall... the weight loss is not my primary goal, as I may have indicated before... it is to have a strong and healthy body that will take me through many more years of my life with health and vigor.

cheers to you all,

Candice