Tips for getting through the day

Options
How about some of you more experienced losers sharing some tips that you have found helpful in your quest for a healthy lifestyle. I think that some of the more inexperienced among us would benefit from your expertise. Please feel free to list anything that you have found as a motivator, a good snack when you are craving something, exercise, or anything you think would help.

Replies

• jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    I have found that my fav. snack is an apple, it fills me up! I usually try to eat one before my lunch. This week im going to start eating one before my dinner as well, maybe adding some peanut butter to it for dipping, to get some protein.
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is if I really want something, say some chocolate for instance, I have little small fun size type bars. I work it into my calories. If I want a burger and fries I have it.. I just make sure I have a good calorie burn walk before or after. I do not deny myself anything. I have found a wonderful alternative to pizza and that is making an individual one at home using a wholemeal tortilla only veggies and cheese on top. With the way I eat now I can eat like this forever.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Here are my rules:

1 – Love myself. (every other rule is an extension of this)
    2 – Eat what I love. Eat when I’m hungry. Stop when I’m full.
    3 – DO what I love. If exercise isn’t fun, I won’t do it.
    4 – Relax and DO NOT OBSESS.
    5 – The past is the past. I do not let what happened in the past dictate what will happen in this moment.
    6 – When I break rules 2 – 6, see rule #1.

As far as 'tips' are concerned:

- Spoil your appetite before a food centered event (I like to make myself a HUGE salad before, say, Thanksgiving Dinner or that Christmas party).
    - Think back to when you moved your body as a child. What did you love? Incorporate that activity into your life now so that you can move your body for the JOY of moving your body (like you did as a kid). My faves: tap/jazz/ballet class, riding my bike, ice skating, roller skating and swimming (not laps, just fun).

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My motivators: I imagine how good I will feel when I get back from a long bike ride (even if I'm not really feeling like going that day); I remind myself how much more confident I feel when my clothes fit properly and I look put together; I remember how supportive my (very fit and thin) husband is every time I experiment with a new healthy recipe; I know that at the end of the day, I will look back on the day and be glad I was good to my body.

My exercise: I do a lot of cycling and also have an elliptical. I quit my gym membership about a year ago, because I dreaded going and it was a negative experience. Find something positive that you love, whether its biking, swimming or walking. I love long walks; they are somewhat meditative for me.

My snacks: I usually have some fruit in the late afternoon. I also like Laughing Cow cheese wedges spread on Wasa Crispbread. That gives me the crunchy-salty taste I crave. Drink a lot of water. Put some lemon slices in it if you don't like it plain, but it makes a huge difference for me. As for eating in general, I eat lots of salads and veggies. If you can, grow something yourself, even if it's herbs in a window garden. You will come to appreciate your food much more if you cultivate it.

Hope this helps in some small way. Best of luck to you in your journey to a healthier place. :flowerforyou:
  • philipjhill1
    philipjhill1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Relatively new to all this - to be honest I didn't think I'd be able to lose anything but got off 14lbs before joining this site. Anyhow beers my thing but not every night. I allow myself a three on and four off routine and make sure my total hollow calories consumed those unhealthy days are burned during the other four.

I hate excerisize but found that I like dancing ... it's something for others to to try maybe.

When you need something quick - you're probably more prone to consuming too many calories. I found that if I have 500 Calories 'free' in the evening then a cheese sandwich and some ready brek (flavoured porridge) make a filling and quick meal (sometimes.)
  • frbarber
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It is always helpful for me to hear what others are doing.