Donating blood and calorie increase?

Options
It has been years since I have even tried to give blood because my iron has always been low. TODAY I WAS ABLE TO DO IT!! Wooohoooo!! :D

But now I am kind of confused. I have a headache now. I ate before and after the donation. I logged what I have ate today, and I am where I should be on calories for the day. However, I am reading on some sites (including Mayo Clinic) that your body uses about 600+ calories to remake the blood you donated. Does that mean I should increase my calorie intake today by 600 calories?

I saw a thread about this that was from 2011, and it took a strange turn, so I wanted to know if there were any updates in the past couple years on this thought, and I really didn't want to follow that thread for advice.

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Volume is replaced within about a day, but complete replacement can take 4-8 weeks, so if you want to eat an extra 20 calories a day for a couple weeks, you should be ok... ;)
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been unable to donate of late because my veins are small and they can never get enough blood out to fill the bags but I used to donate regularly.

I would just drink a ton of extra water and take it easy (exercise wise) for the day. You know how hungry you normally feel, right? If you are feeling really hungry and especially if you are feeling light-headed faint then I would have an extra snack. I estimate that I would eat an extra 200 calories on the day of donation.

Pay attention to how you feel and eat a little extra if you are hungry. No need to force yourself to eat 600 calories if you aren't even hungry for them. On the other hand, no serious damage done if you just break even on your calories for one single day.

BTW- you rock for donating blood! Way to go!!
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I was actually more nervous that I wouldn't be able to give blood again than to actually give blood. LOL.

I think I am going to eat at no deficit today. I have a lot going on tomorrow and I need to have as much energy as I can get. I do know I am heading to bed early tonight to help with the energy :)