Needing encouragement.

Options
Hello.
My name is Katherine. I'm currently 20 years old. I'm 5'7". I'm new to the site, but I think it's just what I need.

I used to be fit and in track in 9th grade, but I lost my dad to cancer at the end of the school year. My dad was my best friend and it left me devastated. I had always loved to eat, but I had controlled myself. I had no idea what to do when he was gone, so all I did was sulk and eat everything, everyday of the summer. It became a bad habit, and now I have no self control whatsoever. I weighed around 150 in 9th grade, but through the past 4 years, my weight has creeped up to 210. I am disgusted with myself. I have no self esteem. My dad had diabetes, and I watched him struggle with it for years. And earlier this year, I went to the doctor for some problems, and she said I could be at risk for being a pre-diabetic and it terrifies me.

I tried last year to lose weight. I got a gym membership and asked a good friend who is now in competitions to help me. I was so ready, but a month after I had started, I lost all motivation. It was torture. But, I have no willpower. It doesn't take anything at all for me to give up, and it's pathetic.

I am turning 21 on August 4th and my wonderful boyfriend of almost 3 years has promised me a huge celebration and a memorial tattoo for my father. I want to lose weight before I turn 21. My goal weight is 140-150. But, what I want most is just to see the inches go away. I know I will probably not get to my goal weight before my birthday, but I would like to be really close. We have also discussed getting engaged, and I told him that I don't want him to propose until I am at my goal. And he has agreed.
We do not have a lot of money, so I am relying on a treadmill (that we can not afford until taxes come in) and home exercises. And of course, diet. I constantly look up motivating stories of people who have been through similiar situations and have successfully reached their goals.

If anyone has any suggestions, for a certain type of diet, vitamins, exercise routines, anything, I am open to all of them.
I have many reasons why I want to lose this weight, and I think I am determined, but none of my friends are willing to do the same with me, and some of them don't need too.. so I don't really have anyone to help me through this kind of thing. I have the wonderful support from my boyfriend, but he's always been fit. I need someone who has been through what I am about to go through, and advice on what I should do when I'm ready to give up. Because I know I will want too.

But, despite everything, I am ready, and I am excited. And I have promised myself I will not give up this time, and it's going to be hard by myself, but I tell myself everyday that I can do it.

Thank you for taking time to read this, and thank you in advance for any advice you may give me.
<3

Replies

• Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You can do this take one day at a time............ It will not happen overnight but stick with it I have been workout for 20 years and it is one day at a time bless you and I will pray for you YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mif2jc
    mif2jc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight overnight, you shouldn't expect to lose it overnight either. Take each day as it comes. I have had success with Joel Fuhrman, MD "Eat to Live" and "Eat for Health" It's a primarily vegetarian diet, but the results come fast if you follow it.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    Hey Katherine..

start a new season and turn the pages, wake up to that tattoo of yours and be determined to work hard in everything that you do. Will power comes from dedication to change your life, not just your body. Practice discipline in life and you'll make the long run, losing weight should be fun, exciting, and something you want to do! and not always something dreadful to persevere through.

I'd love to follow your progress, added!
    GL! You'll do great.
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It's nice to meet you. I'm new here too. A few years ago I lost 70 pounds and I have no excuses for why I let myself regain the weight. But now I'm pre-diabetic and have no choice but to get healthy or continue to get sick....I'm choosing healthy.

YOU CAN DO THIS! You deserve to do it for yourself.

I don't like the idea of "diets", because I don't want this to be a fix for me but a change that will last me my lifetime. I am not suggesting the Dr. Phil weight loss plans, but I want to say that in one of his books I found a list of a balanced diet. You can probably find the same thing online. Here is a copy of the food list I used to lose the weight before and what I'm using now and forever.

During my weight loss, I'm following a plan of:
    3 proteins a day (spread out over 3 meals rather than eaten all at once because proteins help fight hunger),
    2 starchy carbs,
    2 dairy,
    2 fruit,
    1 fat,
    as much of the nonarchy carbs as I want.

The trick is learning what foods each of those things are. After I reach my goal, I can add 1 to each of these categories, if I choose. And I'm finding that it is so important to drink water. I've read that many times when we think we are hungry we are actually becoming dehydrated.

Look up Daily Nutritional Guidelines online and you'll probably find a list for calories, protein, sugar, etc. But this MFP app and website will do all that for you. I'm learning how to enter my own recipes into the app now.

I encourage you to get used to using a food diary. I will use one for the rest of my life. It helps to be able to track your behaviors and maybe see when I start to go off the rails again.

Anyway, nice to meet you.
  • meb0407
    meb0407 Posts: 492
    Options
    Hello Katherine,
    First, let me just say that I am so proud of you deciding to get back on track and take control of your life! YOU GO GIRL!!! Second, what our bodies look like to us is a reflection of who we think we are. Your weight gain tells me you have no self esteem and are insecure... Have a beautiful heart and your body will follow suit, no matter what the scale says! That being said... you want to be healthy and live a long life, so treat your body right. I know what it's like to abuse the body during depression and hard times in life, but you can do this. You want it and so do the rest of us here... everything in life that's good is worth fighting for... YOU ARE WORTH FIGHTING FOR! Never forget it... Now, get out there and kick some butt ;-) Add me if you like... I hope to encourage you along the way.
  • Gonzafitness
    Options
    congrats, You have taken the most important step in better your life. That is realizing that there is a problem. Now you can fix it!
    Believe in your self and you can achieve your weight loss goals and get that new tattoo!
  • EternalReign_
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies and encouragement! I expected a few replies, but all this support is just overwhelming. I will let everyone know as soon as I start my journey and I will log my adventures everyday!

Thank you all. <3