Can you eat More If?

Options
If you are up all day long and all night long without sleep i think you should get to eat more calories since your body is moving. What do you think? I work night shift so i am here till 6am but I have been up since 7am yesterday morning. I am so hungry but because I have been up all day I am running out of calories to eat :(

Replies

• Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yes! Being up longer does burn more calories than sleeping, but how many more is anybody's guess. You would have to do some experimenting and figure it out. My gut tells me that you would burn at about your BMR during normal sleep and slightly above your TDEE during waking hours. This would average out to about your TDEE for the whole day.
    For instance, my TDEE is 2397 calories and my BMR is 1997. So if I sleep 6 hours, burning 1997 during that time (1997/24=83 calories per hour), I would need to burn at 105 calories/hour for the remaining 18 hours of wake time to average out to 2397 for the day. So if I was awake longer, I would eat at the 105 calories/hour for that time.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you are up all night like that you have bigger health concerns than whether you eat or do not eat a few calories.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Tranisition night can be hell. I normally try to get in a good workout so that when I am up for 24hrs I can get more food to stay awake. or just pound extra coffee.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You actually burn a lot during sleep - you toss and turn etc. It isn't like you are in a coma (which is what the BMR essentially is).

That said, calories in doesn't have to be a 24 hour thing. Look to average them out over a week. If you are up all day today, hopefully you'll sleep some tomorrow, so eat some of tomorrows calories today.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yes a little more for sure. The difference between our BMR and NEAT would be those calories we burn after we get up. If someone is a couch potato, not so much.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    absolutely! If you're moving around more, you're gonna need more fuel to function. Eat up!