What made you see the light?

Options
I thought this would be interesting.
I am sure most people on here have been victims of the yo yo dieting.
My question is. What made you realize that it is a permanent lifestyle change instead of a "Diet" that will last a few months then you can eat what you want to again.

Next question is, everyone has that moment when they say, this is it I am changing, or that was the last straw. What was that moment for you?

Replies

• jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Feb 11, 2013...had to go on blood pressure medication. Down about 65lbs and hope to be off medicine at some point.
  • csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It was a combination of things, but the main catalyst was a health problem. (Sad but true).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Last time I went on a diet, I was 21, and realized it wasn't a diet I could follow in the real world, and put back on everything plus more. So I knew then that the next time I would lose weight, it had to be with a diet I could follow forever and a lifestyle change... and it took me 14 years to be ready to give up my lifestyle.

What convinced me is my doctor appointment last December. I always thought I was 200 lbs, but I turned out to be 213 (although 5 of those were because I was on steroid for a week earlier), and she did all kinds of tests, including an EKG, because I was obese. I was 35. It kinda freaked me out. So I decided I'd do it soon... really enjoyed the Holidays, then finally it clicked mid January and I got started.

Frankly if someone had told me I didn't have to completely give up all the things I love, I might have done it earlier. I just always associated losing weight with eating clean. What a mistake it was.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I always exercised but still had a spare tire... my wifes words..
    I was leaving work and they had some free food out. I grabbed some and then went to an exercise class. I felt so sick
    I literally looked in the mirror and was disgusted. That week at work they had a biggest loser contest posted so I joined. . I lost over 20lbs in 10 weeks came in 2nd won 200 dollars and have kept it off for 3 years.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It started as a temporary trial run, and i never imagined that i would stick with it, and eventually cut meat, dairy and oil out entirely. I liked the way i felt, so i just kept doing it.
    Who doesn't like feeling younger and full of energy?
    Who doesn't like watching the weight fall off effortlessly?
    Who doesn't like recovering faster from being sore?
    Who doesn't like have better cognitive ability?
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I saw a photo of me at my grandsons christening on my profile 308lbs, 10 months and almost 100 lbs down I gave my youngest daughter away and although not happy yet I am no longer embarrassed!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I got tired of stopping and restarting, after being on various fitness sites/apps, restricting calories and going for high calorie burns with exercise. Finally decided that the starting over really sucked, and regaining the weight wasn't an option either, so I made the decision to make the reasonable and sustainable life changes that I could stick with. That was around two years ago - and switching to the TDEE method helped tremendously! :drinker:
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it was. I mean I knew I was huge but I never felt bad (health wise). Back in 2004 I was over 400 pounds. The wife and I started doing Adkins (when it was all the rage) I dropped down to 270 pounds. Over the years I yoyo'd between 270 and 330.

On Jun 1 2011 I just said I had enough and started low carb (my own plan)I was 335 and in a year weighed 185.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Weighing in at 305 after the birth of my 3rd child and realizing that if I kept going, I wouldn't be around to see her grow up...Being categorized as a Type II diabetic during my pregnancy and not wanting that for myself. ( I have since lost enough I am no longer considered diabetic)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic - excellent! bump
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. The moment that I knew I needed do DO something was Christmas of 2008. My brother and I got in a huge fight and he called me fat. I knew it was true but I also wasn't ready to have it thrown at me like that. That January I tried Jenny Craig. I stopped when I realized what was IN the food (nothing you could pronounce) but I will say I learned portion control right then and there. Then I joined MFP and gradually lost 50 pounds over two years or so.

It wasn't until I joined MFP that I realized this is for life... not for now or for the short term. When I embraced the changes and decided to just gradually change things, the light went off. And now I walk by fried chicken without even missing it. Your taste buds DO change with time. It's amazing. The best thing is that when you know you're eating for life and not for the here and now you just naturally steer away from the foods that will make you feel bad and choose the ones that make you feel good! (If fried chicken made me feel good the next day, I wouldn't walk on by!!)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    the doctor wanting to put me on yet another medication. I said no and never looked back. I am off everything now except my thyroid replacement pill. I still have a long way to go but my blood tests are coming back much better than when I started. Around the same time my mom found out she was diabetic. It was extra incentive to get my health in control.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    bump
  • juanpegler
    juanpegler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is so great how a lot of us share the same reason. Yet our own little twists make them soooo different.

MFP is where I realized that I would have to keep watching what I eat forever. Reading the success stories where most of them say how they are working at it to maintain.

Where I realized that I need to start doing something is when simple things like tying shoe laces are a hard task to do.
    I still have quite far to go. But with the MFP community at my side it doesn't feel like a mountain ahead of me but rather a new adventure.

Proud to be part of the community! Good Job Everyone.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The "eat back your exercise calories" thing is what made me realize that this is easy. I'm basically creating the deficit I want to lose about a pound a week by exercising. Because I don't feel hungry and deprived this time around, this is long- term sustainable.

The thing that pushed me to do something about my weight was being on the verge of needing to shop in the plus-size department. My initial motivation was that I wanted to be able to wear better clothes.
  • joyswift3
    joyswift3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping I'll stick to a healthy eating, exercise plan now!! Success spurs me on, when I start gaining weight I tend to give up and then have to start again. Perseverance is what I need
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    For me it was a year ago last fall, after my father passed away. I was at the funeral and everything seemed fine. I got home and one of my nieces posted some pictures from the reception on facebook. I was looking through them and it hit me, "OH HELL NO" that is not me, I am not that big. Well i was that big. I knew i was big, had not been able to use a normal scale in a long time. Well I was over 370 without a doubt, I started losing some before joining MFP, It was not until I ordered the cattle sized scale at home that i was able to find out where my starting point was.

here is that pic
    8301256527_385cbae4b4.jpg
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    A nurse in the ER.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    April 6th 2012. Holiday pictures uploaded onto my pc, couldn't believe it was me.