crept into the fitness room finally

Options
So this is HUGE for me.

We have a little gym at our office. Lots of people use it. I've only been in it once, and that was during my tour on my first day of work.

Last week I brought my running shoes into the office. Today I brought some workout clothes.

This afternoon, I crept down to the gym. I changed my clothes, and I walked 5 minutes on the treadmill. Got back into my officewear and came back to my desk as if nothing had happened.

I saw they have shelves where people stash their gym clothes. SO I put mine there too.

Thanks for letting me share.

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So great.
    I remember the first time I went for a run, and I still tell people about it all the time. AND, it was a very long time ago. Now I love my runs and I go for miles and miles.
    Good luck.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You do know this is like Hotel California? You can check in but you can never leave.

There is no reason to be intimidated. We all started, we progressed, and you will too.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    congratulations. i am still learning the ropes of my fitness center and stay mainly in the safety of the treadmill. baby steps.
  • WonStepAtaTime
    WonStepAtaTime Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes! Baby steps. Just get closer and closer and eventually you will look back and giggle at how timid you were. Great job for taking that step. Now you have workout clothes ready to go and you can slip "creep" back in anytime. :)
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Congrats Helen,

That 1st visit is always the most intimidating. Well Done!!!!
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yay! The first step is the hardest. Once you know where everything is located and how stuff works, you'll feel at home. Congrats!
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So great.
    I remember the first time I went for a run, and I still tell people about it all the time. AND, it was a very long time ago. Now I love my runs and I go for miles and miles.
    Good luck.

That's so exciting that you go for miles & miles now!

I always thought I would enjoy running, if I ever could do it. I don't know if I ever will now - I'm 50 and my knees are shot from my weight.
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Welcome. You do know this is like Hotel California? You can check in but you can never leave.

There is no reason to be intimidated. We all started, we progressed, and you will too.

I think I was intimidated because I thought I'd see people from my office there. I don't know why that should intimidate me - I don't have any enemies there, and in fact, I like just about everyone there. I think it would have been easier to go to a gym full of strangers. As it turns out, I caught it at an empty time. But when I arrived, I could hear someone showering - they left while I was in the changing room, so I didn't see who it was. And when I left, I heard some people coming from the other direction to go to the gym. Whew! Fate was on my side! :-)
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Yes! Baby steps. Just get closer and closer and eventually you will look back and giggle at how timid you were. Great job for taking that step. Now you have workout clothes ready to go and you can slip "creep" back in anytime. :)

ha ha, oh, I giggled at myself as I tiptoed into the fitness room.
  • MoiKarina
    MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

It's the same for me. My gym is the one at my workplace. And it's packed with fit people. At first I felt not at my place there surrounded by fit people doing advanced exercices while I was sweating like a pig after 5 minutes cycling. But after a while I realised that everybody was just focused on their own exercice, not lurking or judging me and now I do a full program just pushing myself more and more each time.

Also I have a coupl of colleagues coming at the same time as me. They leave earlier but being with them boost me to keep going and start anew everytime
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Congrats!

It's the same for me. My gym is the one at my workplace. And it's packed with fit people. At first I felt not at my place there surrounded by fit people doing advanced exercices while I was sweating like a pig after 5 minutes cycling. But after a while I realised that everybody was just focused on their own exercice, not lurking or judging me and now I do a full program just pushing myself more and more each time.

Also I have a coupl of colleagues coming at the same time as me. They leave earlier but being with them boost me to keep going and start anew everytime

This is going to sound so shallow & ungrateful. I'm not worried about my coworkers judging me or looking at me. Everyone here is really nice.

It's just that . . . oh gosh, I'm so visibly overweight, and I don't want everyone to get all . . . hmmm . . . gushy encouragy, and all that. Plus, if they notice that I'm going, they'll notice if I stop going.

On the other hand, that might be a good thing . . .

It might keep me going if I don't want people to say "Gee, we haven't seen Helen here lately - she was doing so well there for awhile."

(Thinking while typing)