Diabetes victory

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
Okay. I am still overweight and there are no pictures. But I am really chuffed by today's NSV.

In August 2012 I was diagnose with type 2 diabetes. This scared me and I started dieting and exercising and joined MFP. After 6 months I had dropped some weight causing my hba1c to look better, so the GP gave me license to experiment with reducing my metformin. Originally prescribed 2000 mg daily. The last six months I have kept my hba1c at 4.9 but continued to reduce meds to a single 500 mg tablet every other day.

Today I was instructed to stop the meds completely. I need to keep monitoring the blood glucose, and they will re-evaluate my hba1c in 3 months. Just happy not to require metformin.

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    That is really awesome! That means you are working like a fiend, keep up the great work!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! My father in law has type 2 diabetes. I hope he'll eventually be able to live without meds.

Awesome work!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    great example of how lifestyle changes can cure illness and disease. i hate to see people who rely on their pills to make them well again. kudos x1000000 to you!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Absolutely AWESOME!!!!!! I love it! So proud of you and I don't even know you. :bigsmile:
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Great job. My goal is to stay off metformin also. I was diagnosed diabetic in July of 2011 and have been off my meds since April 2012. You got this, stay motivated and keep working at it.
  • Lorelai23
    Lorelai23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is great news! Congrats.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Your A1C was below 5? Great job! That is some pretty kick-butt maintenance you're doing there.
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That is really inspiring.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    How fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself -- personally, I think that these are the best kind of NSVs :smile:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im very happy for you what an accomplishment...yay looks like you'll have no future with insulin injections
  • kkmalay
    kkmalay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ahhh thats awesome!! big pat on the back to you :)
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    awesome!! that is one great victory and proves that we can control our lives! (I can't wait to get off my BP and Cholesterol meds!)
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Congratulations I also managed to beat type 2 and have been completely of meds for a year now although my diabetes was apparently steroid induced.
  • hopwoods1
    hopwoods1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome well done. I've been able to reduce the amount Glicazide I take by 75% but I'm still on 2000mg of Metformin a day.
    One day I hope to be pill free like you!

Congrats again.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Thanks to all the well wishers, and congratulations to everyone who has managed to get off or reduce their meds. Best of luck to everyone.
  • Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful. Metformin never agreed when I took it. Too bad I didn't get the memo then to get healthy then. I've been on various insulins since 2005 (after the Metformin) but it has only been last three months that I have reduced and now nearly stopped my insulin. Lost 13 years to diabetes, but now doing better to point of only needing some lantus once or twice a week. Soon I hope not at all! I am so glad it is working for you with so much less time! Keep at it!
  • acpgee
    Options
    That is wonderful. Metformin never agreed when I took it. Too bad I didn't get the memo then to get healthy then. I've been on various insulins since 2005 (after the Metformin) but it has only been last three months that I have reduced and now nearly stopped my insulin. Lost 13 years to diabetes, but now doing better to point of only needing some lantus once or twice a week. Soon I hope not at all! I am so glad it is working for you with so much less time! Keep at it!

That's great. I was surprised I only found out recently that diabetes could be reversed (from the Newcastle study)

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

It's a pity that a few years ago the standard wisdom was that diabetes was an irreversible progressive disease.
  • p0nderful
    p0nderful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! You are inspiring to all of us who are working to ditch the meds!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!